Liverpool (H) | PL | Post Match Thread

I think a neutral would have said, given the chances in the game, it was a fair result…score draw.

I disagree. I think Allison conned the ref for the foul on Dias “goal,” and I think Ederson didn’t have many saves to make, while Becker saved at least two dead certs from Foden & Haaland.

I felt that City dominated the play, while Liverpool were always a threat on the counter.

I think that the longer the game went on at 1-0, the likelier it looked that their pressure would pay off. The goal was a well-taken snapshot through bodies, but came from almost nothing.

On the day, their squad looked much, much stronger than ours, and their subs actually improved their chances of scoring. Almost any subs for us would have weakened the best side available on the day. THAT is a cause for concern.

While I absolutely detest Klopp and the majority of their players, their constant dedication to forward pressure is an attractive trait we only reveal when we go behind.

Far too often this season, we have grabbed a goal and then sat on it while knocking the ball about relatively aimlessly. We appear to have no “killer instinct” to put the game to bed while we are on top…and I say that even though we scored 10 goals in the previous 2 games!

When City score 3 or more, it nearly always follows the path of 1-0, pass, pass, pass for another half hour or more, then grab a 2nd in the late 60s-early 70s, then put some icing on the cake in the dying minutes.

Rarely is it 3-0 at HT, subs on to rest legs, score a couple more. Rarely.

With a fully fit squad, I think we are unbeatable. With a half fit squad full of knocks, and a few injuries, Pep’s love of a 16 man squad looks threadbare, at best!

I thank fuck for the finishing power of Haaland and the industry and nous of Rodri & Bernardo, because without those 3 in this team, we are a mid-table outfit, at best!

We need reinforcements and, while I hate to say it, Klopp’s “reload” of his midfield has some good players in it. Not necessarily “Pep players,” but good players for their game.

It’s time for City to put some of those record revenues to work in January and Summer ‘24, because we look very, very light at times.

Too many pundits have suggested this season was going to be a parade to the PL trophy, and you’d be bold to bet against us, but we looked well off the “walk the League” City yesterday, albeit against a strong Liverpool team.

Still got a few tough games to come in the next few weeks before we head to the World Cup, but I fear we are not going to be in nearly as good of shape as we were on Friday by the time your Christmas pudding has digested!

Here’s hoping I’m wrong!!!

Last edited:
Fair result in the end in my opinion.

The league have proper shafted us with this run of fixtures.

United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs.

All potential top 6 clubs.

They have done it again in February

United, Liverpool, Brighton, Arsenal.

I bet no other club will play a run of 4 or 5 games against top 6 opponents!

Hopefully we can get a win against Spurs then go on a run up to the Xmas period.

I think a neutral would have said, given the chances in the game, it was a fair result…score draw.

I disagree. I think Allison conned the ref for the foul on Dias “goal,” and I think Ederson didn’t have many saves to make, while Becker saved at least two dead certs from Foden & Haaland.

I felt that City dominated the play, while Liverpool were always a threat on the counter.

I think that the longer the game went on at 1-0, the likelier it looked that their pressure would pay off. The goal was a well-taken snapshot through bodies, but came from almost nothing.

On the day, their squad looked much, much stronger than ours, and their dubs actually improved their chances of scoring. Almost any dubs for us would have weakened the best side available on the day. THAT is a cause for concern.

While I absolutely detest Klopp and the majority of their players, their constant dedication to forward pressure is an attractive trait we only reveal when we go behind.

Far too often this season, we have grabbed a goal and then sat on it while knocking the ball about relatively aimlessly. We appear to have no “killer instinct” to put the game to bed while we are on top…and I say that even though we scored 10 goals in the previous 2 games!

When City score 3 or more, it nearly always follows the path of 1-0, pas, pass, pass, for another hour, then grab a 2nd on the late 60s, early 70s, then put some icing on the cake in the dying minutes.

Rarely us it 3-0 at HT, subs on yo rest legs, score a couple more. Rarely.

With a fully fit squad, I think we are unbeatable. With a half fit squad full of knocks, and a few injuries, Pep’s love of a 16 man squad looks threadbare, at best!

I thank fuck for the finishing power of Haaland and the industry and nous of Rodri & Bernardo, because without those 3 in this team, we are a mid-table outfit, at best!

We need reinforcements and, while I hate to say it, Klopp’s “reload” of his midfield has some good players in it. Not necessarily “Pep players,” but good players for their game.

It’s time for City to put some of those record revenues to work in January and Summer ‘24, because we look very, very light at times.

Too many pundits have suggested this season was going to be a parade to the PL trophy, and you’d be bold to bet against st U.S., but we looked well off the “walk the League” City yesterday, albeit against a strong Liverpool team.

Still got a few tough games to come in the next few weeks before we head to the World Cup, but I fear we are not going to be in nearly as good of shape as we were on Friday by Christmas!

Here’s hoping I’m wrong!!!

A lot right in that post. We are missing Gundo more than many realise. We didn't miss Kev so much in the past because of him in midfield. Add Kev into the mix and we went up another level. We have signed Nunez and Kovacic to fill the gap and both are underwhelming to say the least.

No Haaland, Rodri, Kev and Bernardo and we're bang average. I'd even say take Rodri out and we dip massively as results proved when he was suspended. Mind you all are world class players so any team would miss them. We need top class recruitment for this squad, especially in midfield and upfront. When I think we used to have Tevez, Aguero and Dzeko, now we have Haaland and Alvarez. If Haaland gets injured who's leading the line and scoring the goals? Same in midfield take out Kev and we have little creativity. Foden, Grealish and Doku don't chip in with enough goals, I'd probably add Bernardo to that list too.

We're still the team to beat at the moment but we need to get the next phase of recruitment right to stay there. We've spunked over 120 million on Nunez, Phillips and Kovacic and it looks like a waste of money at this time.

So far we've lost to Wolves and Arsenal and dropped points against Liverpool and Chelsea. To score four goals away at a poor Chelsea side and still not win was criminal. Newcastle thrashed them yesterday.

We're slow burners in the league until after Christmas let's hope we kick on again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.