Liverpool (H) Post Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played fullback for 17 years, I'm well aware of their defensive responsibilities thanks. Given the choice between tracking his winger into a crowded box or waiting out wide to see if their fullback comes forward from the halfway line (where he was at the time), it's the former, every time.

Course it fucking is. Fucking annoys me when people apportion blame, then posts a fucking still, that proves he was talking bollocks.

I played fullback for 17 years, I'm well aware of their defensive responsibilities thanks. Given the choice between tracking his winger into a crowded box or waiting out wide to see if their fullback comes forward from the halfway line (where he was at the time), it's the former, every time.

I suspect you never played as a fullback like one in Klopp or Pep's systems. Halfway line? Watch it again, especially what happened a few passes prior, Robertson was not halfway line and Danilo correctly covered the first time. Going that deep into the box where City outnumbered Liverpool players was a poor decision only made worse by failing to recognize the gap he left or react to it when Arnold delivered the ball.

It was a well played sequence by both fullbacks for Liverpool as they toyed to get City out of position and it worked - a fullback with your experience should've been able to appreciate that

Still remains a defensive liability as evidenced by leaving Robertson completely unmarked on the goal
He didn't actually, watch the replay, he was actually marking someone in the box, he saw what was happening and tried to get a head on it.

Sterling should have been wide with Robertson when he ran into the box, but he was stood arms folded, in no mans land watching it all unfold.

I like Sane and Sterling, they offer so much going forward, but both regularly switch off when we defend, they can do it, because they often do, but they switch off too much.

I suspect you never played as a fullback like one in Klopp or Pep's systems. Halfway line? Watch it again, especially what happened a few passes prior, Robertson was not halfway line and Danilo correctly covered the first time. Going that deep into the box where City outnumbered Liverpool players was a poor decision only made worse by failing to recognize the gap he left or react to it when Arnold delivered the ball.

It was a well played sequence by both fullbacks for Liverpool as they toyed to get City out of position and it worked - a fullback with your experience should've been able to appreciate that
Guardiola played with a flat back 4 and orthodox fullbacks, so even if defensive responsibilities changed in the deepest third (they don't) it wouldn't make a difference. If he lets Mane go and moves to mark Robertson, Mane moves into a free space inside the box and everything from then on is Danilo's fault as others get dragged out of position.

You're essentially criticising a player for being doubled up on, ignoring the secondary defender's responsibilities. Proving you know sweet fuck all about defending.

Yes, doing his job, unlike Sterling (who isn't given the red circle treatment) yet doing f**k all.
Sterling, or if he's taking up an attacking position for a counter opportunity he should have passed it onto Bernardo or Gundogan/Silva.

Sterling, or if he's taking up an attacking position for a counter opportunity he should have passed it onto Bernardo or Gundogan/Silva.
As he's the nearest to Robertson, he should have been looking at it, and doing something about it.

I'm not having a go at Sterling here either, I expect it from an attacking player (same with Sane), I'm defending the blame being heaped onto Danilo, who had a very good game. I can see why he's getting the blame from seeing replays, but he was doing another job at that moment, he saw the danger, and tried to get there back peddling, he was just unlucky.

As he's the nearest to Robertson, he should have been looking at it, and doing something about it.

I'm not having a go at Sterling here either, I expect it from an attacking player (same with Sane), I'm defending the blame being heaped onto Danilo, who had a very good game. I can see why he's getting the blame from seeing replays, but he was doing another job at that moment, he saw the danger, and tried to get there back peddling, he was just unlucky.
I'd be fucking skinning Danilo alive if he'd let Mane run into that area, on the blind side of our centre halves, with a ball coming in from the opposite wing, in favour of a lad someone else was responsible for 40 yards away. He might have reacted quicker when Robertson made the run, but I don't see anyone giving him a shout either tbf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.