Liverpool Post Match

Hello all - I hope you don't mind me popping by and posting this. I saw a lot of discussion about the 4-4-2 Pelligrini has been playing and I did a run-down of how Liverpool exploited it here:

<a class="postlink" href="http://taktiek.uk/liverpool-v-man-city-too-many-space-invaders-for-city/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://taktiek.uk/liverpool-v-man-city- ... -for-city/</a>

Hope it is okay me posting this here.

Ok, here's the thing. I don't want to hammer on about this match. It's gone, probably the title with it.
But just look at this (of many incidents that you could select). Match highlights on the OS. Match highlights are always skewed to make us look as good as possible. Nothing wrong with that. Every club does it.
Seventh minute. Pass through from midfield. No less than three players — Mangala, Kompany, Zabaleta, are all drawn to Sterling likes moths to a flame. Pause it right at the point where the midfield pass is made — Lalanna is running through into a great windy space, all on his lonesome. That should definitely have been a goal, right there. No question about it.
This back line just has no understanding any more. Do they talk to each other? Sterling is Zab's man, there. Vinny and Mangala should be much more central, Vinny possible hovering to cut across to help out Zab in case Sterling leaves him for dead (which he did, a bit later on, to Mangala, in fact). Alternatively, Kolarov seeing the danger straight away, and racing over to cover Lalanna. We had a few chances, but at no point were we given that kind of space by the Liverpool defence (which is not the greatest in the world).
I repeat that there is no understanding. What I cannot explain, what beats me, is that there was. Home match against Chelsea, that back line was rock solid. Chelsea didn't get a sniff until their goal. I don't understand where the sense of zonal responsibility has gone in that back four. Unless it is the case that Vinny doesn't trust Zab, Mangala doesn't trust Vinny, Zab doesn't trust Mangala. That in fact their confidence is collectively shot.
It's not the only problem in the team at the moment. But it is a big one.

bluesimon said:
cheddar404 said:
What's happened to our pressing game? We don't do it anymore. We can get away with 4-4-2 if we press the ball when we don't have it but we don't seem to do it.

City rarely press and have not done so for years. The principle has been don't worry about the opposition getting the ball occasionally coz when we get it back, we can hold onto it, dominate possession and then thread our way to a goal.

At the moment, we could not press a 'grape' and are leaving the opposition space all over the park. Rarely is a goal scored against us now that is not as a direct result of pressing or closing down. Yesterday, two goals from outside the box in almost identical positions and NO ONE even thinning about trying to close down................

If that is the way we approach games then that's why we will never achieve anything in Europe. To me, it's more of an attitude problem than style of play problem. I've seen us do it when we want to but too often there's an air of complacency about us.

Taktiek said:
Hello all - I hope you don't mind me popping by and posting this. I saw a lot of discussion about the 4-4-2 Pelligrini has been playing and I did a run-down of how Liverpool exploited it here:

<a class="postlink" href="http://taktiek.uk/liverpool-v-man-city-too-many-space-invaders-for-city/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://taktiek.uk/liverpool-v-man-city- ... -for-city/</a>

It's OK as long as you're genuine, which you certainly seem to be. It's also refreshing to have something intelligent posted on here instead of the knee-jerk crap we usually get.

Aguero_Element said:
Ask yourself this - Do we have a title winning defense?

At the moment, does our defense deserve to win the title?

Defences don’t win titles. Forwards do. Goal difference is almost always (bar one or two exceptions in last thirty years) a nailed on indicator of who will win the league. And statistics show, that teams that score loads, generally have a much better goal difference.

Yes, a good defence is important, but it isn’t the panacea to winning the league. Scoring (almost always) is.

johnnytapia said:
Aguero_Element said:

Defences don’t win titles. Forwards do. Goal difference is almost always (bar one or two exceptions in last thirty years) a nailed on indicator of who will win the league. And statistics show, that teams that score loads, generally have a much better goal difference.

Yes, a good defence is important, but it isn’t the panacea to winning the league. Scoring (almost always) is.

Wasn't the saying
Forwards win you games, Defences win you titles?

mosssideblue said:
johnnytapia said:
Aguero_Element said:

Wasn't the saying
Forwards win you games, Defences win you titles?

Sorry, I beg to differ from everyone here. Teams win you the title (especially the EPL, probably the most difficult title in the world). Teams. The whole eleven men playing as a unit. We didn't play as a unit on Sunday, Liverpool did. Now having said that, I have to concede that there is one thing that stands out this season as compared to the previous three — we just don't do clean sheets at present. We have had one clean sheet since New Year's Day, in all competitions. That was against Newcastle. Says a lot, doesn't it? And we have been scoring goals, but… this needs slightly closer scrutiny. Look at the table, even now. Even after the defeat at Anfield, we have the best away record in the country. We have scored more goals than anyone else, we have conceded fewer (with the exception of Southampton). It's at home that we've lost this title (if we have). Stoke, Burnley, Hull — you're looking at five points out of a potential seven dropped right there. It's a very strange turnaround from Fortress Etihad.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Taktiek said:

It's OK as long as you're genuine, which you certainly seem to be. It's also refreshing to have something intelligent posted on here instead of the knee-jerk crap we usually get.

I quite enjoyed that but you don't need to be a tactical genius to figure out where we went wrong on Sunday. The moment both teams where shown side by side the massive gap in our midfield became glaringly obvious.

Nicely written Taktiek.

stonerblue said:
I quite enjoyed that but you don't need to be a tactical genius to figure out where we went wrong on Sunday. The moment both teams where shown side by side the massive gap in our midfield became glaringly obvious.

And many supporters expressed their concern at such,most predicting the outcome as a consequence.

And its one of my main concerns about Pellegrini's ability to take us forward.

stonerblue said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Taktiek said:

Nicely written Taktiek.
Thank you.

I think that is the worrying part!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.