Liverpool thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not being snidey with this, it's a genuine point;

Even if you do attract players that are looking at 'pool as a stepping stone/shop window or whatever, it's not necessarily a bad thing. eg I never thought Suarez intended to stay, and where would you have been without him?
But VVD seems something different. He seemed to very much want to go to there. If he stays the perspective could alter.

That’s kind of what I’m hoping for. For the perspective to alter. It seems Klopp wants players who want to play football under him, and specifically him. Which I suppose gives him more power if he builds the dressing room. Hope we’re finally in a position where we don’t have to sell players, but it’ll be even better if we stopped finding ourselves in positions where our beat players want to leave.

Agreed and that’s fair enough. Where we haven’t been involved in many title challenges, or winning any for that matter, that’s why they’ve been leaving us. The lure of La Liga and Barca will also play a part. Otherwise they could go to Bayern, PSG etc.

City?

I mean we had strikers of Sturridge, Lambert, Borini and Balotelli the season before.

Also season prior Skrtel was our best defender. A 34 year old Toure or Lovren too. Our defence was basically a joke as it had been for decades. Not Bolton level no lol, but not a Top 4 level side either. Way too much deadwood remained in our squad.

I suppose the above leads to your question. I see Klopp as a much smarter manager than BR because he addressed our defensive weaknesses. He’s made as more of a unit. I’m not saying it didn’t cost us but for the first time in the PL years we are a balanced team. For years we relied on Gerrard and looked to recruit in attack. We made rag level transfer decisions on our defence. Even 5 years ago I enjoyed every game because the scores were insane but everyone could see we had a shite defence and goalkeeper and we were a liability at the back.
Yet Rodgers came within striking distance of winning the title with such a terrible defence and lasted little over a year after said feat. He undoubtedly led the foundations for your recent challenge, in tangible and intangible ways, yet one is given a lot more leeway despite similar results.

Klopp has broken tranfer records funded by players developed by Rodgers and still won nothing.

Pochettino gets it in the neck for not winning silverware despite spending, literally, fuck all. Klopp gets a free pass for winning, literally, fuck all despite spending out of his arse.

I'll grant him one thing, his ability to convince Liverpool fans and the media that they're "onlt starting" and they've done things "the right way" is something else.

I remember how Kev's first injury this season was seen to "level the playing field" for a team who bought the world's most expensive 'keeper and centre back and spent £100m on their midfield....

He's a shyster who I personally can't wait to see the back of in this league. Tired of kick and rush tactics, lame excuses and wanking off water bottles.

Yet Rodgers came within striking distance of winning the title with such a terrible defence and lasted little over a year after said feat. He undoubtedly led the foundations for your recent challenge, in tangible and intangible ways, yet one is given a lot more leeway despite similar results.

Klopp has broken tranfer records funded by players developed by Rodgers and still won nothing.

Pochettino gets it in the neck for not winning silverware despite spending, literally, fuck all. Klopp gets a free pass for winning, literally, fuck all despite spending out of his arse.

I'll grant him one thing, his ability to convince Liverpool fans and the media that they're "onlt starting" and they've done things "the right way" is something else.

I remember how Kev's first injury this season was seen to "level the playing field" for a team who bought the world's most expensive 'keeper and centre back and spent £100m on their midfield....

He's a shyster who I personally can't wait to see the back of in this league. Tired of kick and rush tactics, lame excuses and wanking off water bottles.

Rodgers downfall came in the summer of 2014. He made 10 signings and was given the money to do so. These signings included Markovic, Balotelli, Moreno, Lambert, Lovren and Origi.

We conceded 50 goals that title challenge year. That’s worse than Arsenal’s defence this year just for some perspective. Also the Rags I think! The following season we limped in at 6th place. Then the following season won 3 of our opening 10 games.

We’d regressed under Rodgers. He hadn’t replaced players leaving and we were struggling to buy a win. As much as you hate Klopp, he’s got forward momentum and has the fans believing. Rodgers came across as a one trick pony once Suarez had left (who he didn’t sign, that was one of the Comolli signings).

Gómez cannot be seen to have been developed by Rodgers. One appearance. He’s come on leap and bounds playing alongside VVD. Coutinho was a much improved player under Rodgers though, so credit there.

Rodgers made 33 signings and spent £300 million (probably more £450 million in the current market which has gone insane in the past 3-4 years) so he was hardly shy of cash.

Pochettino is a great manager who only gets it in the neck from opposition fans and keyboard warriors. Any real football fan would see what he’s done this season is better than what any other manager in the PL could do. Yes I said ANY other manager.

Ah there’s no point debating money spent, we’ve both spent a shitload. Let’s just both admit that and move on.

Well, after our challenge this season let’s see what the next year and a half brings. Will he continue with the momentum or slip back as Rodgers did.

Defending Klopp here makes it sound like I’m disrespecting Rodgers, but I’m not. We had a great run with him and I’m not a Chelsea fan so I don’t hate every manager we’ve ever had. He just couldn’t get it right after that great season.

Suarez and Coutinho always had the La Liga dream. No surprise as that’s basically most South American footballers dream.

Torres to win trophies and join a big club. Believe those were his exact words after he slammed in a last minute transfer request.

Alonso I’m not actually sure about to be honest. Wouldn’t say he was a forced sale on our part from memory. I’d have to look it up
Didn’t Keite say he was going to use Liverpool as a stepping stone to get to a really big club like Barcelona, Manchester City or Real Madrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.