Liverpool thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree we still have to see Liverpool as a serious threat this year but I am more concerned with Chelsea being underestimated/going under the radar looking at the first 8games. They are probably riding the new manager wave as they normally do, so I'm not quite sure where their real level is at yet.

I agree we still have to see Liverpool as a serious threat this year but I am more concerned with Chelsea being underestimated/going under the radar looking at the first 8games. They are probably riding the new manager wave as they normally do, so I'm not quite sure where their real level is at yet.

I think Chelsea are too reliant on Hazard to mount a real challenge
Liverpool have had a tough couple of weeks and have almost come out of it unscathed. It's not the end of the world to be knocked out of the league cup and they can turn the CL group around with a win vs Napoli at home (on one of those under floodlight glorious European anfield nights) plus a couple of draws against the best two teams in the Prem
Three of their next four games are Cardiff, Huddersfield and Fulham, with a tricky fixture vs Arsenal
I think we'll have more of an idea on what their challenge will be following these games

I think Chelsea are too reliant on Hazard to mount a real challenge
Liverpool have had a tough couple of weeks and have almost come out of it unscathed. It's not the end of the world to be knocked out of the league cup and they can turn the CL group around with a win vs Napoli at home (on one of those under floodlight glorious European anfield nights) plus a couple of draws against the best two teams in the Prem
Three of their next four games are Cardiff, Huddersfield and Fulham, with a tricky fixture vs Arsenal
I think we'll have more of an idea on what their challenge will be following these games

Yes they can'y really afford to drop any points apart from perhaps the Gooners. Agree last two weeks far from a disaster although I think they needed to make an early statement and in reality they could have lost against Chelsea and us. IMO they can't be dismissed just yet.

Yes they can'y really afford to drop any points apart from perhaps the Gooners. Agree last two weeks far from a disaster although I think they needed to make an early statement and in reality they could have lost against Chelsea and us. IMO they can't be dismissed just yet.
That is a good point that is being overlooked, they got points vs us and Chelsea but were perhaps lucky to get them. Sturridge's goal was from nowhere when the game looked lost, Mahrez should have buried that penalty and we should have arguably already had a couple before it too.

The table is how it is with those games out of the way, I get that but they have been fortunate in more than a few games(Spurs and Palace as well as the above) where City have been unfortunate in the games they have dropped points in while being fully deserving of the points they have. If luck does even out they are due to drop some and we are due a few lucky breaks... wishful thinking I know, to be honest I'd rather us not need any lucky breaks. If we just progress and succeed in improving our level all the time and get the points we deserve, that will be enough.

Last edited:
That is a good point that is being overlooked, they got points vs us and Chelsea but were perhaps lucky to get them. Sturridge's goal was from nowhere when the game looked lost, Mahrez should have buried that penalty and we should have arguably already had a couple before it too.

The table is how it is with those games out of the way, I get that but they have been fortunate in more than a few games(Spurs and Palace as well as the above) where City have been unfortunate in the games they have dropped points in while being fully deserving of the points they have. If luck does even out they are due to drop some and we are due a few lucky breaks... wishful thinking I know, to be honest I'd rather us not need any lucky breaks. If we just progress and succeed in improving our level all the time and get the points we deserve, that will be enough.

Yeah you're spot on. The table is what it is and if you compare last season after 8 games with this season after 8 games, the big similarity is that we're top of both the tables but then if you look more closely you'll notice that Chelsea and Liverpool last season were already 9 points behind us. This year they're level on points. Also Arsenal is significantly closer.

The walk in the park that many on here predicted 2 months ago is not happening though I must admit I didn't expect Chelsea to be playing so well so quickly under Sarri.

8 games is of course an insufficient number to draw too many conclusions. Someone has posted that after the next four fixtures we will have a better idea but my guess is that we won't and the table will look similar to what it is now give or take a point or two.
B36OG7f.jpg

If you are going to post try and be balanced. Excellent save at his near post? Hahaha it was a pea roller on his weaker right foot, if that's excellent then you are very easily pleased. The handball wasn't nailed on, Fernandinhos arm hitting him in the face might have help caused that but we should have had one first half for sure. We was the better team, my point is if you say Ederson didn't have a save to make then the same can be said the other way, especially when you consider both teams had two shots on target...……….

Sadly you don't gain any extra points if we dropped points in a game where they scored a handball. We haven't hit last seasons heights in terms of how we have played, that's not to say we wont in spells especially when KDB is back but that doesn't mean we will get as many points. Many fine margins last season, last minute winners that I don't think we will get that number of points again even if at times we manage to play as well. That's football, Chelsea wont roll over and have their bellies tickled two games for starters. The fact no one has before got that many points would suggest I am probably right. Lets see what happens.

Chelsea didn’t "roll over and have their bellies tickled" last season. Both games were hard-fought 1-0s, especially the one at the Kremlin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.