Liverpool thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. Ok, I hear what people say about them being lucky so far. I hear them about City being better. But right now, as of this moment, they're on the same number of points. After a quarter of the season.

Liverpool are a threat. So are Chelsea. Do I think City will pull away? Yes, probably. But anyone assuming the Scousers are done is mad.

Think most are saying they will do the usual com Jan, not the=at they area done. FWIW I think they
might last till Feb/Mar this season ;-)

Yeah you're spot on. The table is what it is and if you compare last season after 8 games with this season after 8 games, the big similarity is that we're top of both the tables but then if you look more closely you'll notice that Chelsea and Liverpool last season were already 9 points behind us. This year they're level on points. Also Arsenal is significantly closer.

The walk in the park that many on here predicted 2 months ago is not happening though I must admit I didn't expect Chelsea to be playing so well so quickly under Sarri.

8 games is of course an insufficient number to draw too many conclusions. Someone has posted that after the next four fixtures we will have a better idea but my guess is that we won't and the table will look similar to what it is now give or take a point or two.
B36OG7f.jpg

And we're playing at near full potential but the Dippers are not!
Not sure anyone will take you seriously after posting that.......

Euphoria? Translation "there's not enough people flapping about this and we should be because... it''ll help?" There's no dipper like delusion here mate, too many flappers and doom mongering for that to take hold.

We can play better but we were the better team, regardless of the possession stats the fact is we won the midfield battle for the majority of the game at their own ground. Their front 3 were in our defenders back pockets, whether they are out of form or not our defenders can take confidence from having got one over on them regardless. When a defender has an off day, the attacker draws confidence in the same way, so why shouldn't they?

More tellingly Ederson was not tested at all and Alisson was, not enough I'll grant you but he had to be sharp when he was needed. We should have had at least 1 further penalty possibly 2. So although we didn't create enough chances by our own standards if any team deserved to win, it was City.

As for the rest of your post I don't see anyone writing them off but for once we came away from Anfield with our heads held high, it would have been great to win but it's progress none the less. What's wrong with seeing it as a positive?

To be fair it's true they have had a tough run of fixtures, part of that is their own fault for finishing 4th last season, in the league were this matters they've played 3(Spurs, Chelsea, City) of the top 6 and we've played 2(Arsenal, Liverpool).

Aside from that however the excuse for their attack looking blunted being down to a tough run of fixtures doesn't hold true if you'd actually watched enough of their games vs Palace, Brighton and Leicester. They weren't that great and were perhaps lucky to come away with the points I seem to remember. Some games have required fortunate decisions on the way to getting those points, like the Palace game for a very weak penalty(we've had 3 challenges more worthy waved on) even the game against Tottenham(which Liverpool were the better team in) could have ended in a draw had Son been awarded the penalty.

Have you considered:

The fact that Liverpool are getting credit for simply adding a plan B against the smaller teams, while Pep and this team have shown the tactical flexibility and the know-how that the red side of Merseyside and their coach could only dream of having. Teams are looking out for the City fixture pouring over hours of video footage but we are showing we can adapt to what most teams come up with and then they normally revert to type(park the bus and hit us on the counter).

Mendy and Mahrez not fully up to speed, to where the rest of the team are with the system and what Pep wants from them,

The dippers midfield can't hold a candle(no pun) to ours even at full strength and ours hasn't been at full strength for quite a while. KDB our talisman of last years record breaking season still to come back,

Bernardo Silva getting better with every game, he has shown he can rotate with KDB and Silva keeping them fresher than we've been able to do in the past, this could be a massive difference in itself,

Our young CB pairing is looking stronger every game, coupled with Mendy getting up to speed equates to a defence that can and will get better as the season progresses and the stats aren't too shabby as they are,

Gabby Jesus still to find his scoring boots, some remain unconvinced with him but I still maintain the floodgates will open, he just has to have that one game where everything goes right for once, no offsides, finds the top corner without thinking about it etc,

Sané being eased back into the fold, finding form now and I fully expect this season to eclipse last years. Sané, Mahrez, Jesus 3 players yet to hit anywhere near their peak form with City already top of the league 8 games in. Quite some potential for upping our game don't you think?

Liverpool more scope and potential for upping their game than City? I don't see that at all.

Excellent post. But I think you'e hoping a bit too much, with the highlighted bit ;-)

Excellent post. But I think you'e hoping a bit too much, with the highlighted bit ;-)
Haha perhaps, it's something that he can improve on though thankfully. In my opinion that's just timing, working with Aguero should give him one of the best examples of how to do it, so hopefully he picks up some good habits from him.

Aren't we 1 point better off than we were from the same fixtures last season?
No we are 2 points worse off than last year which isn't a big difference, the biggest difference is the gap between the top 3.

We were 2 points ahead of 2nd placed Utd and 5 head of 3rd placed Spurs. This year we are level on points with 3rd place and 2 points in front of 5th place. We can't argue that it's looking far closer so far but it is far too early to draw conclusions about how close it will stay this season in my opinion.

Haha perhaps, it's something that he can improve on though thankfully. In my opinion that's just timing, working with Aguero should give him one of the best examples of how to do it, so hopefully he picks up some good habits from him.

When it comes to not being offside, he won’t!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.