Liverpool thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ehhh??? Until now they have coped well under pressure... It s us who fucked up twice when pressure was on us ..
What I mean is, for the first time they now have a clear lead and that brings added pressure imo. As you say they may well cope with that pressure too.

What I mean is, for the first time they now have a clear lead and that brings added pressure imo. As you say they may well cope with that pressure too.

I think what is different about Liverpool this year, while they have historically buckled under pressure, is that they now have this new found level of maturity. Alisson, VVD, Robertson, Milner, Fabinho, Salah, Firmino. Can you see them letting the pressure get to them?

I think what is different about Liverpool this year, while they have historically buckled under pressure, is that they now have this new found level of maturity. Alisson, VVD, Robertson, Milner, Fabinho, Salah, Firmino. Can you see them letting the pressure get to them?
Yes.

Why not , they have not faced the situation where they are being chased down .

If the pitch was in slightly better condition, Lamela could have made it 1-1 at Wembley in the last minutes.
Everton could easily have scored a couple more goals last weekend.
Watford had a few chances to make it 2-2 too earlier this month.
Tell me more about all the bad luck City have had?

On the other hand, Liverpool dropped points to Arsenal and had a goal wrongly disallowed for offside.
They've conceded about 7 goals all season, 2 of which were crazy keeper errors and 1 was offside.
They've had numerous bad calls from referees go against them too, but they don't really get talked about because they won the games anyway. Of course everyone sees the dodgy calls that go in their favour.
They've had a few shaky performances but haven't looked "ridiculously lucky" to me. When they finally click in attack, I expect to see 2 or 3 unfortunate teams get a proper hammering.

Both Liverpool and City have had their share of good luck, and both a decent share of bad luck. How far this sways depends on whether you're a City fan or a Liverpool fan. From a neutral perspective, it's laughable how City fans are claiming Liverpool have been so lucky. Of the two, Liverpool's performances this season have seemed more comfortable. City have scored more goals and had more possession, but have a weakness and are never safe from conceding. Liverpool may have won a few games by just one goal, but watching them I never had the feeling they were going to throw the game away.

Both sides have also had injuries, and both have key person dependencies that could turn out to be the difference in May. This is where luck could play a big factor.

Liverpool have had injuries to Mane, Milner, Henderson, Gomez, Trent Alexander Arnold, Keith, Lallana, Firmino, Matip, Robertson, Van Dijk and WIjnaldum so far this season. They've done well with these injuries due to decent depth in most positions, but they are still at risk if the wrong combination of injuries happens at the wrong time.
If Liverpool lose both Van Dijk and Gomez then they are back to the leaky defence we saw at the start of last season. An injury to any two of Salah, Mane, Shaqiri or Firmino also leaves them quite blunt in attack. A long term injury for Robertson and Moreno comes back - I'd bet my house against Liverpool winning the league if Moreno becomes their first choice left back again. They'd be fine in the short term, as Mr Reliable (Milner) can easily fill in for a few games.

Most of City's players seem to have been injured at some point this season, they've largely been ok with good back up options, but again they are risk as without any two of Aguero, KDB, Silva or Sterling they just don't have that same cutting edge. We've all seen what happens when Fernandinho can't play too.

Either way, both City and Liverpool this season really are top sides. If either had come 3 or 4 years early, they would have walked the league. From the neutral perspective, we are fortunate that both sides have hit this level in the same season, and we could see an exciting title race.

And to those who think the league is over based on 1 result, both sides will drop points later on in the season. Even the greatest teams can have an off day, and losing 2 games in a row is never out of the question. If it gets to the point where there is a 10 point gap, I'd be worried. Just think back to the season where United "won the league" half way through the season. What was it, an 8 point gap with 5 games to go?

The game at the Etihad could be very interesting, especially depending on how the next 2 games go. City play Leicester and Southampton away, which are no guarantees (Leicester have just won at Chelsea and Southampton beat Arsenal last week, and Palace have just laid out the instruction book on how to take points from City). Liverpool have Newcastle and Arsenal at home, again, Arsenal should be a very tricky fixture. If Liverpool manage to maintain a 4 point lead going into the game at the Etihad, then I can see it being very similar to the CL 2nd leg last season, where City really had to go for it to get the win. Liverpool would be happy to play for the draw and maybe hit City on the counter. Any closer than a 4 point gap could lead to a similar cagey affair to the reverse fixture a couple of months ago. I can't wait for the match.
Top post

Why are you using the word 'them' to describe your team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.