Liverpool Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even a lame Nathan would be better than that Dutch statue they seem to idolise.
A comment for a different thread perhaps but anyway... Ake is a decent defender. Honest and hardworking. For the most part, he does his job very very well but nobody would consider him one of the all-time greats. A top pro but outside of that god-like tier.

Van Dyke, on the other hand, has been repeatedly showered in superlatives and compared to everyone from Moore to Baresi.

Thing is, as I watched Ake become the latest player that Messi had on toast in the recent Arg v Hol World Cup game, I kept waiting for van Dyke - his captain, the greatest defender in the world, a generational talent etc. etc. - to maybe take over marking Messi (unusual in the modern game but not impossible) or at least come across, fill in behind and double up on Messi or maybe even just bollock one of his midfielders into dropping back and adding the needed cover... but none of that ever happened.

Fair enough, it became less necessary as Holland got back into the game after the substitutions, playing hoofball against a conservatively set up team but even in extra time, the mismatch was exposed again and van Dyke merely looked on.

People say he's not the same player since coming back from injury and that is probably true but it's no excuse for his lack of organisational ability. Any self-respecting defender (let alone, captain) at any level would see what was going on and react accordingly. Van Dyke did nothing. A cynic might say he seemed happy to keep well away from Messi for fear of being shown up. Credit to him for stepping up to take the first penalty (even if he did miss it) but his prior actions were not of the level required to captain even a schoolboy team.

This might be the reason why Klopp doesn't trust "the game-changer, the greatest defender ever, his talisman" with the captaincy.

TL/DR: VdV is ridiculously overrated.

Still to this day can’t get my head around them two shits not having screens especially dippers who have built a new stand and constructing another. Your not telling me the architect hasn’t factored in a screen. Smells very fishy to me.
It’s not like they show fans much on those screens. Just glorified scoreboards most of the time.

Reactions: PPT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.