Loads of great tansfers but are we making a mistake????

twinkletoes said:
What a terrible problem to have. I'm thinking of becoming a Wolves fan.

LMAO

Well I see where you are coming from but our hand is forced with the new regulations.

Lets look at these players being a massive part of the clubs history.

If you notice we are signing excellent young players who will be given teh chance to be part of the best thing since sliced bread

Full name Jérôme Boateng
Date of birth 3 September 1988 (1988-09-03) (age 21)
Place of birth Berlin, Germany
Height 1.92 m (6 ft 4 in)
Playing position Full back, Centre Back
<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Boateng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Boateng</a>

Full name David Josué Jiménez Silva
Date of birth 8 January 1986 (1986-01-08) (age 24)
Place of birth Arguineguín, Spain
Height 1.71 m (5 ft 7+1⁄2 in)
Playing position Attacking Midfielder / Winger

Full name Gnégnéri Yaya Touré
Date of birth 13 May 1983 (1983-05-13) (age 27)
Place of birth Sekoura Bouaké, Côte d'Ivoire
Height 1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)
Playing position Defensive midfielder
<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaya_Tour%C3%A9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaya_Tour%C3%A9</a>

Full name Aleksandar Kolarov
Date of birth 10 November 1985 (1985-11-10) (age 24)
Place of birth Belgrade, SFR Yugoslavia
Height 1.87 m (6 ft 1+1⁄2 in)
Playing position Left back
<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandar_Kolarov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandar_Kolarov</a>

Full name Mario Barwuah Balotelli
Date of birth 12 August 1990 (1990-08-12) (age 19)
Place of birth Palermo, Italy
Height 1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)
Playing position Striker
<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balotelli" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balotelli</a>

Full name James Philip Milner
Date of birth 4 January 1986 (1986-01-04) (age 24)
Place of birth Wortley, Leeds, England
Height 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
Playing position Winger
<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Milner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Milner</a>

Oh, what a wonderful world this could be!

Ideally we would only sign a couple of players a year and I assume that is what we will be aiming for in the future. Hughes spent loads but whilst he did alright to a point he managed to leave us with some glaring problems considering. We had no choice this summer but to sign full backs, a creative mid and another striker imo. You could argue that Yaya Toure wasn't needed, I suppose, but he's so much better than what we have in that position...

tmouseman said:
Don't get me wrong I think the transfers we have made are great and it looks like we will have even more coming in but are so many new faces each year really a good thing?
To me at the end of last season we were not far off top 4.
I thought a Leftback, Right back and creative mid-field and we would be good to go. Not to go for number 1 but top 4 for sure. All last years new players bedded in and only 3 to get going.
If we get another 7 in this year we have the same problem again.
Howe long to bed all these in.
Much easier to get 2-3 each year and move up to the top over three years.
Again...not moaning because life is good but do we risk the first 2 months of the season being poor because we change too much?

The problem is mate that some of Hughes' signings were very short sighted and even after only a year or so need to be replaced. They're players that aren't that great and aren't going to get any better and in one or two cases are actually past their best (Kolo, Bridge) or completely useless to us (RSC). This summer we seem to be looking much more to the future as opposed to just the immediate present. Yes the players might take a bit of time to settle, but they are already better footballers who'll improve the squad greatly and with Boateng at 21, Silva 24 and Kolarov (if he comes) at 24 they're only going to get better. They're hungry and want to succeed and could one day have a very good affinity with the club, unlike the Bridge's and Kolo's of this world who don't seem particularly arsed. Yaya is 27 but I'd argue that he's a top class footballer and we needed a ready made midfielder like him, who'll be going for another 6 years at the top level anyway

With the spending rules coming into play soon we won't be able to sign players like we have done this summer anwyay, but it won't even be necessary. Boateng and Silva could be top players for us for the best part of the next decade and from here on in we'll only have to add a player or two here and there to keep moving forward

If Mancini manages the team well, they should be able to bed in well enough. Sven managed to hit the ground running with a group of players that he'd cobbled together who weren't as good as this lot. On the other hand, Hughes signed 'prem proven' players who were s'posed to hit the ground running but after the initial huff and puff got us through the first 5 or 6 weeks or so we were fucked

I'm excited and encouraged by the way we've gone about our transfer business so far this summer

The Fat el Hombre said:
tmouseman said:
Don't get me wrong I think the transfers we have made are great and it looks like we will have even more coming in but are so many new faces each year really a good thing?
I thought a Leftback, Right back and creative mid-field and we would be good to go. Not to go for number 1 but top 4 for sure. All last years new players bedded in and only 3 to get going.
Again...not moaning because life is good but do we risk the first 2 months of the season being poor because we change too much?[/quot

The problem is mate that some of Hughes' signings were very short sighted and even after only a year or so need to be replaced. They're players that aren't that great and aren't going to get any better and in one or two cases are actually past their best (Kolo, Bridge) or completely useless to us (RSC). This summer we seem to be looking much more to the future as opposed to just the immediate present. Yes the players might take a bit of time to settle, but they are already better footballers who'll improve the squad greatly and with Boateng at 21, Silva 24 and Kolarov (if he comes) at 24 they're only going to get better. They're hungry and want to succeed and could one day have a very good affinity with the club, unlike the Bridge's and Kolo's of this world who don't seem particularly arsed. Yaya is 27 but I'd argue that he's a top class footballer and we needed a ready made midfielder like him, who'll be going for another 6 years at the top level anyway

With the spending rules coming into play soon we won't be able to sign players like we have done this summer anwyay, but it won't even be necessary. Boateng and Silva could be top players for us for the best part of the next decade and from here on in we'll only have to add a player or two here and there to keep moving forward

If Mancini manages the team well, they should be able to bed in well enough. Sven managed to hit the ground running with a group of players that he'd cobbled together who weren't as good as this lot. On the other hand, Hughes signed 'prem proven' players who were s'posed to hit the ground running but after the initial huff and puff got us through the first 5 or 6 weeks or so we were fucked

I'm excited and encouraged by the way we've gone about our transfer business so far this summer

Excellent post blue.

Another vote here for the accellerated buying to try to get around the finanacial rules that are comming in.

We are buying a young squad that will hopefully that should last a good 5 years and only need the occasional top up with a marquee signing.

I am a little on edge about the time it will take to gel, the "a top player is a top player and they will just gel instantly" didn't work for us last season, although with Mancini that may be different.

The Fat el Hombre said:
tmouseman said:
Again...not moaning because life is good but do we risk the first 2 months of the season being poor because we change too much?

Good post mate.

These players are very, very proffessional and no doubt will know their jobs/positions inside out. Last season we were too weak in midfield and still managed to get as close as we did to a champions league spot.
This season the targets are trophies and the title. The players we've bought are improving the weaker areas of the team.

My next comment, I know you can't compare the 2, but, If you have ever played team football for a new club albeit sunday league. You don't know the players but you know your position and role in that team, eventually you will get to know the players, their little moves and attributes and become stronger and stronger.
We will be amazing this season..... believe!!!!

Its a great question and if you look back at other clubs who have done similar it has caused them some problems in integrating so many new players into the team. However there are other examples such as Chelsea a few years ago who took on 5/6 new players and went on to win the league within 2 years so it can be done.

I like what Mancini is doing as he seems to be plugging the obvious gaps (which didnt seem obvious to MH) and putting a very strong squad together. Also he doesnt seem to want showmen (robbie) but young, skilful with good attitude. However its going to be a tough job keeping the group happy. Once we are winning it wont be a problem but if problems emerge he will be tested to the limit.

its great City are able to sign big players but why not sign players we actually need to improve the team. Boateng is a decent player but he'll won't win us the league. In my opinion we need some creative players who can support our world class attackers. Players like Joe Cole, Keisuke Honda, or Ibrahim Afellay (psv eindhoven) Add a top class centre back (simon Kjear) a left back (Martín Cáceres) and we will top the league from start till finish

Denniz said:
its great City are able to sign big players but why not sign players we actually need to improve the team. Boateng is a decent player but he'll won't win us the league. In my opinion we need some creative players who can support our world class attackers. Players like Joe Cole, Keisuke Honda, or Ibrahim Afellay (psv eindhoven) Add a top class centre back (simon Kjear) a left back (Martín Cáceres) and we will top the league from start till finish

Why would we want Joe Cole?

You think Yaya does not improve the team?

Doesn't Silva offer this 'creativity' you speak of?

Boateng is young, talented and seems to have the right attitude, he's one for the future and definitely good enough hence playing in a very good Germany World Cup team. No one player is going to 'win us the league'.

Left back? Kolarov if rumours are to be believed.

I think our signings so far have been spot on and the window is not closed yet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.