Local Elections

The frustrating thing with posters sometimes is they simply don't know enough stuff about stuff, really, really, basic stuff, so they end up posting something like this, calling bluethrunthru's post ridiculous when it is a given, in every democracy in the world, that if you introduce id requirements at polling booths, it disadvantages the disadvantaged and the poor, who tend not to be particularly well educated and in some cases illiterate, or English isn't their first language, but what these people do have is a greater tendency to vote Labour, if they vote at all, rather more so than the educated middle classes who tend to vote Tory.

These excluded people often don't carry id with them or are intimidated by authority and bureaucracy, they tend not to be plugged in to the system in the same way as those who are motivated to vote are. Those people who are well plugged in to the system have a tendency to vote to keep the system as it is.

The changes brought in by the Tories have also disadvantaged students, again, a demographic more likely to vote Labour. In fact if you look at the history of voting it is always the liberal left who have advanced the plebiscite and the right that has restricted it, sometimes through legislation, sometimes through bureaucracy and always through the insidious drip, drip, that politicians are all the same, nothing can change, so keep things as they are.

Everywhere the right, to varying degrees, puts barriers in the way of the poor voting, from gerrymandering to boundary changes, this is well known, it isn't even contentious, you need to read up on this stuff before you blurt out piffle like this.

Excellent post

Looks like a bit of a mixed bag really. The Conservatives losing control of Trafford, meaning there are no Tory councils in Greater Manchester, is obviously a positive for those of us on the left.

Overall though it looks a fairly underwhelming night for Labour. Given the state of the government (Windrush scandal, no coherent Brexit plan, continued cuts to services etc), a credible opposition should have been looking to make huge gains. It’s fairly damning on Corbyn then that Labour were unable to do so, outside of a small expected swing in London.

Councils
Councillors
CouncilsTotal
Councils Change+/-
CouncillorsTotal
Councillors Change+/-

Party Labour
Councils Total51
Councils Change-1
Councillors Total1445
Councillors Change+30

Party Conservative
Councils Total30
Councils Change—No results
Councillors Total874
Councillors Change+4

Party Liberal Democrat
Councils Total4
Councils Change+1
Councillors Total326
Councillors Change+41

Party Independent
Councils Total0
Councillors Total60
Councillors Change+14

Party Residents' Association
Councils Total0
Councillors Total37
Councillors Change-2

Party Green
Councils Total0
Councillors Total22
Councillors Change+6

Party UKIP
Councils Total0
Councillors Total2
Councillors Change-92

Up to now lib dems and labour have gaimed the most new councilers, labour have lost one council and tories have gained one.

It is being spun as a bad night for labour when in reality all they have done is not won control of councils that were always unlikely, but bigged up pre election(kensingtin, wandsworth etc) due to the swing required.

tories have consilidated what they had, labour gained, but not in a way they really wanted (bar trafford), overall though not a bad night for anyone bit UKIP.

Last edited:
Hmmmm - reports of people being turned away in the boroughs trialling the new id standards for voters - taking your polling card no longer enough. As its mostly labour wards and councils up for grabs you have to hand it to the govt they are pulling out all the stops to try and win....

When was you required to do this? Last few times i've voted i've just given them my name and address and that's been that, no ID required.

Personally don't think having to show ID is a bad thing as anyone really could pretend to be someone else and vote multiple times if they wanted to.

When was you required to do this? Last few times i've voted i've just given them my name and address and that's been that, no ID required.

Personally don't think having to show ID is a bad thing as anyone really could pretend to be someone else and vote multiple times if they wanted to.

Waltzed into the library at 8am on way to work. Gave name and address which was ticked off by a person, then put my x in the box. No i.d. required.

How?

At present if you turn up at a polling booth and give your name, it is crossed off, if someone else turned up using your name then they would be denied, but that vote, as they are numbered would be void and have to be retaken.

Electoral fraud is not really a problem in the UK, denying the vote to people because of no ID would be.

Waltzed into the library at 8am on way to work. Gave name and address which was ticked off by a person, then put my x in the box. No i.d. required.
You don't need any ID nor polling card just name and address, owing to the changing face of Britain you may well do in the future but not as yet. I don't believe there's any identifying marks on the slip placed in the ballot box either.

Looks like a bit of a mixed bag really. The Conservatives losing control of Trafford, meaning there are no Tory councils in Greater Manchester, is obviously a positive for those of us on the left.
Yeah Labour having been doing a great job with Greater Manchester.

You don't need any ID nor polling card just name and address, owing to the changing face of Britain you may well do in the future but not as yet. I don't believe there's any identifying marks on the slip placed in the ballot box either.

Voting slips are numbered and kept for a year before being destroyed.

The turnout in some of the wards in Rochdale has been in the low twenties. Politicians generally are more than happy to be elected on that kind of turn out, but listen to them when there is a vote for anything else - strike action for instance. They bleat on that it doesn't reflect the membership's views to vote for a strike with such a low turnout. Find me a politician and yer've found yourself a hypocritical skunk!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.