LOL Qatar

Somud said:
inbetween said:
For those who think Qatar is some tin pot country full of terrorists your having a laugh right? Seriously, the USA witnessed the single most devastating terrorist incident of modern times on its own soil, does no-one remember 7/7 too?? Don't be completely thick by saying it shouldn't be in Qatar to avoid terrorism or something! The threat will ALWAYS be wherever the World Cup is it is completely irrelevant, if anything the dangers are much higher in our own country where the effects of any attack would be huge.

The UAE and Qatar are very different and if anything very pro-western, they are both very similar in terms of development. Look at Dubai compare it with Doha and there isn't much difference. They are both oil rich and want to diversify, i'm surprised no Qatari has bought into the Premier League yet! Hence our very own Sheikh Mansour and Khaldoon are a part of one of these emerging countries. It's insulting that people will pigeon-hole without actually having any clue whatsoever in what they are talking about.

Yes it will be hot, Brazil is also generally hot, footballers are paid ridiculous amounts of money so i'm sure they'll cope. Wasn't the temperatures in South Korea/Japan touching 100f in 2002? The World Cup is about heading to another country and not just watching football but enjoying their culture. I still don't think Russia should of got 2018 because we are in a perfect position to host it but having a go at Qatar is completely ridiculous, i'll be heading over there in 2022.

Why shouldn't Russia get the 2018 while it is "ridiculous" to have a go at Qatar? Russia is a huge and important country that has never hosted the WC before, and unlike Qatar it has a football history too. And the laws in Qatar regarding females, gays, minorities and the contract workers from the sub-continent is really appalling.

Compared to the other bids Qatar was pretty much the best choice if i was voting anyway. Australia was probably the second best bid but just for me personally it is to far away that's the only reason, it is also a country i no little about.

Russia is different, airports are hundreds of miles apart, transport systems are non existant, i've heard it would take a day at least to get between some venues by regular transport (train). Apart from the bid team the Russians didn't seem to even be bothered they had won. The BBC reported there was nothing in their news about the bid so they weren't exactly bracing themselves, couldn't even be arsed to send their Prime Minister until they had won. I thought we deserved it but i really think someone like Holland should of got it, who also have never hosted a World Cup and have a much bigger footballing history than Russia.

Qatar is only like that because it is a Muslim state, it is just something we have to respect, we can't just walk into the country and expect our own laws to apply and to deny them the World Cup simply because of their religion. Half the trainers people wear in this country were more than likely made by workers on 10p a week in some country, no-one is a saint.

inbetween said:
Somud said:
Why shouldn't Russia get the 2018 while it is "ridiculous" to have a go at Qatar? Russia is a huge and important country that has never hosted the WC before, and unlike Qatar it has a football history too. And the laws in Qatar regarding females, gays, minorities and the contract workers from the sub-continent is really appalling.

Compared to the other bids Qatar was pretty much the best choice if i was voting anyway. Australia was probably the second best bid but just for me personally it is to far away that's the only reason, it is also a country i no little about.

Russia is different, airports are hundreds of miles apart, transport systems are non existant, i've heard it would take a day at least to get between some venues by regular transport (train). Apart from the bid team the Russians didn't seem to even be bothered they had won. The BBC reported there was nothing in their news about the bid so they weren't exactly bracing themselves, couldn't even be arsed to send their Prime Minister until they had won. I thought we deserved it but i really think someone like Holland should of got it, who also have never hosted a World Cup and have a much bigger footballing history than Russia.

Qatar is only like that because it is a Muslim state, it is just something we have to respect, we can't just walk into the country and expect our own laws to apply and to deny them the World Cup simply because of their religion. Half the trainers people wear in this country were more than likely made by workers on 10p a week in some country, no-one is a saint.

Why? We respect their religion in this country and throughout the West. We even allow people to build mosques; observe their minority religions; show the signs of that religion publically; speak their foreign language; wear their clothes publically; hide their women in large amounts of cloth; drink no booze in private etc etc etc

But we can't expect them to respect our way of life when we go there?????

Sorry but that aint fair and equitable pal.

If its two way traffic then anyone can do what they like for me. But if someone else is imposing their moral values on me then they can fuck off. Most western democracies subscribe to this viewpoint so I don't believe i am alone. In fact I think we may even be fighting and dying about it in some parts of the world.

And before anyone plays the usual cards I do not care what race, colour or creed you are. Respect is a two way street.

I hope Qatar proves my fears to be ill-founded.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Qatar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Qatar</a><br /><br />-- Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:06 pm --<br /><br /><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Qatar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Qatar</a>

this is the first and last time FIFA will let arabic country host WC

its big mistake

dont ever compare Qatar to Dubai , Dubai got many hotels but Doha? how many?

where these teams going to stay? the fans?

unless they are going to stay in bahrain , abu dhabi and Dubai there is no place for them , i dont believe they going to setup tents and sleep in them in this HOT weather

A/C? i will guarantee most fans will get sun hit becouse of hate and there is no enuff hospitals

biggest sport joke in history!!!!!!!

Balti said:
Why? We respect their religion in this country and throughout the West. We even allow people to build mosques; observe their minority religions; show the signs of that religion publically; speak their foreign language; wear their clothes publically; hide their women in large amounts of cloth; drink no booze in private etc etc etc

But we can't expect them to respect our way of life when we go there?????

Sorry but that aint fair and equitable pal.

If its two way traffic then anyone can do what they like for me. But if someone else is imposing their moral values on me then they can fuck off. Most western democracies subscribe to this viewpoint so I don't believe i am alone. In fact I think we may even be fighting and dying about it in some parts of the world.

And before anyone plays the usual cards I do not care what race, colour or creed you are. Respect is a two way street.

I hope Qatar proves my fears to be ill-founded.

We 'allow' them to do that? That's awfully nice of us.

build mosques - there are churches in Qatar
observe their minority religions - as above
show the signs of that religion publically - ok you win that one
speak their foreign language - if you go to Qatar for the World Cup you wont have to utter so much as a 'shukran'
wear their clothes publically - you're allowed to wear your clothes publicly in Qatar too.
hide their women in large amounts of cloth - you can wear pretty much what you want, so long as its not offensive
drink no booze in private - you're allowed to drink there.

what moral values would they be imposing on you?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.