London Rd Fire Station

stonerblue

Watched a fascinating doc' on the place the other day (M Portillo Ch5).
It's being developed now into homes, office etc but the original building seemed almost intact and had some stunning design features as well years of history.
After years of going past the place i never suspected anything so amazing behind the main facade. I just hope the developers retain as much of the place as possible and not flatten it and throw up glass.
london%20road%20fire%20station%2039w56t7.jpg
LRFS2.JPG
LRFS-courtyard.jpg

Went round it on a school trip with Abbey Hey Junior school in the late fifties. The firemen were washing their engine. It was a clean machine. :-)

It was a great programme. Britannia Hotels, who bought it, have a lot to answer for leaving it to rot for years. Great to see it's now being renovated and put to use.

Michael Portillo isn't everyone's cup of tea but I like his programmes on Britain and trains. Always interesting.

One of the great buildings of our city. Used to go in as a kid. My dad was a fireman. When they moved to near Wing Yip, the kids never wanted to go because of how shit it was.
London Road is a beautiful building and about time it was restored and used to its full potential.

It was a great programme. Britannia Hotels, who bought it, have a lot to answer for leaving it to rot for years. Great to see it's now being renovated and put to use.

Michael Portillo isn't everyone's cup of tea but I like his programmes on Britain and trains. Always interesting.

Love a bit of Portillo now he's not an MP

I went on a tour of this place a year or so ago. The place where the fire engines were parked was painted sky blue. Still showing sky blue on the proggy. One of the group was an retired fireman from the station and said the colour was chosen by a Blue!! Red fire engines, but a blue fire house!

Used to walk past that place in 87-89 when I was at Shena Simon college. Didn't know it was a fire station.

I'll have to watch it online.

Those programmes he did on various train journeys were fascinating. I'll have to try to track that programme on the fire station down to see it. What was the name of the programme?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.