Lucas Paquetá

I get what you're saying he would've made a major difference to us this season, plus it'd be the worst case scenario if he ended up at a Prem rival too.

The investigation at the time though wasn't just the Brazilian FA was it? I thought it was claimed there was actually an ongoing criminal one too if the reports were true.

If guilty of the charges mentioned by football authorities it would've been a major ban for Paqueta, not just a 12-18 month ban slap that we've seen in the past as it'd be seen as clear case of match fixing, the accusations stated he'd potentially betted on or let people know he was getting intentionally booked in games he's actually played in.
There mustn't actually be any proof of it though if those other more thorough investigations have been dropped, because in theory if guilty of the accusations he could be banned for half a decade or more his career would've been over for him.

If guilty it would've been a major ban no doubt about it I don't think we could've made any move without fully knowing, it might now be a more clear cut thing after the other major investigations on his back have been dropped, it could be a case of lazy processing the FA going at a snails pace and known full well that he'll be found innocent.
The investigation was both the English FA & the Brazilian FA too from what I recall. What struck me was the similarities to the Xhaka case, where there was no accusations he did any betting. Trying to prove he committed a late foul to get a yellow is very hard to substantiate, considering how shit his tackling is in general.

As for a major ban, I think there's a big difference between match fixing or throwing a game, as opposed to committing a minor foul which would have no bearing on the result. However, I also acknowledge from small acorns do oak trees grow.

Last edited:
Oh dear...

View attachment 111947

Sandro Tonali has been charged with 50
betting offences by the Football Association after it was revealed the Italian midfielder placed bets last season while at Newcastle.

Tonali, 23, is currently serving a 10-month football ban after being found guilty of betting on games involving both of his former clubs, Brescia and AC Milan, by the ltalian Football Federation.

'Sandro Tonali has been charged with
misconduct in relation to alleged breaches of the FA Betting Rules," an FA statement read.

"It's alleged that the Newcastle United
midfielder breached FA Rule E8 50 times by placing bets on football matches between 12 August 2023 and 12 October 2023."

Nothing will come of this. He'd already admitted to these before the FIGC banned him and they were all placed before he found out he was getting investigated in Italy.

It's not like he's been flouting the ban.

The FA gains nothing from punishing someone who's already been banned for 10 months (plus 8 suspended) and committed to going to rehab.

On the otherhand they're fairly exposed on gambling, as a lot of the public (and all of the expros that dominate the media) are of the opinion it's unfair to expect people in an industry to not gamble on that industry, and if the PFA, Newcastle or Tonali wanted to they could present this as persecution of a guy who's done his time and just trying to recover from his addiction.

Also...they gave Ivan Toney 8 months for 250 bets, so are they going to give Tonali 6 weeks for 50?

IMO they will give him a ban that runs concurrent to the existing one. That way they can say they did their job and punished him, but there's no reason for anyone to kick up a fuss.

Agreed. We will sign him and then all of a sudden they’ll reopen the case haha!!
Lord Pannick: Meet the lawyer representing Boris Johnson and Manchester  City - BBC News

Lucas was the best player on the park in the first half, but he's faded badly in the second.

Guimarães also played well in the first half, but he faded in the second half too.

A proper blood & snot, up & at em PL match. Kudus is one to keep a very close eye on too.

Barnes has made a huge difference since he came on, & as I'm typing, he's just smashed in what looks like the fuckin winner!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.