Luxury yacht sinks off Sicily

I know they think it's a James Bond Movie plot tie him over a shark pool, cut him in half with a Laser or drag him behind a boat. Just shoot him for Gods sake.
Funnily enough... that ties in with why my reaction to the story might have been less than proper.

The basic reason is the whole story surrounding Mike Lynch, HP - Autonomy deal fraud allegations. The US application for extradition turned into a battle that lasted a decade, with Mr Lynch - part of Cameron's Technical Council, whilst hiring Tory Owned PR firms to lobby the govt to change the law. I won't go into the case itself. But he ended up facing trial this year, obviously happy to be found not guilty.

The tie in? The prosecution case revealed he had a piranha tank in his office - a la Blofeld - and all the meeting rooms were named after Bond villains. Mike denied he was trading on an intimidating image, and said it was because he was a Bond fanatic.

All said and done, whilst I freely admit I can't judge Mike Lynch from afar, alas, I can't say I'm welling up. It is human nature to think, there goes the maritime equivalent of Icarus, the worlds largest mast got too close to the sun - rather than pay honest respects. Honestly, I think it's compassion fatigue as much as anything. I'm sorry if that offends people. People have suffered, died and lost, and that's never a good thing.

All will be revealed.... probably...at the inquest.
From the reports I've read a couple of things seem slightly odd, although the inquest will shed more light on them.
The first one is that all the crew, aside from the chef who sadly died, appeared to be up and working at 4:30-5am. This normally wouldn't be the case. At that time in the morning and the vessel not sailing usually just one watch keeper would be on duty.
Secondly some passengers appeared to be on deck when the vessel sank, others in bed. One was a woman with a baby. Again odd.
This could be that they had been woken by the storm and the ship's movement and gone on deck to see what was going on and possibly out of fear. Or it could be the crew were on emergency stations and starting to wake up the passengers for possible evacuation.
Reports appear to suggest the vessel sank in sixty seconds, yet a life raft had been launched. That is a very quick time to launch and inflate a life raft, especially on a sinking vessel. They are designed to break free from their moorings and auto inflate but that is only once the stricken vessel reaches a certain depth underwater.
The storm was forecast and as a result I would have expected the captain to have taken her into port as they were so close to land. I'm hearing some hatches and doors may have been left open but with a storm forecast that should never have been the case. Battening down the hatches we call storm preparation, everything is made as secure and watertight as possible. I'm slightly surprised reports are saying they may have been left open for a breeze to flow through, but surely a super yacht would have air conditioning? Even then storm.preperation would have superceded comfort.

A lot of questions to be asked at the inquest for sure.

All will be revealed.... probably...at the inquest.
From the reports I've read a couple of things seem slightly odd, although the inquest will shed more light on them.
The first one is that all the crew, aside from the chef who sadly died, appeared to be up and working at 4:30-5am. This normally wouldn't be the case. At that time in the morning and the vessel not sailing usually just one watch keeper would be on duty.
Secondly some passengers appeared to be on deck when the vessel sank, others in bed. One was a woman with a baby. Again odd.
This could be that they had been woken by the storm and the ship's movement and gone on deck to see what was going on and possibly out of fear. Or it could be the crew were on emergency stations and starting to wake up the passengers for possible evacuation.
Reports appear to suggest the vessel sank in sixty seconds, yet a life raft had been launched. That is a very quick time to launch and inflate a life raft, especially on a sinking vessel. They are designed to break free from their moorings and auto inflate but that is only once the stricken vessel reaches a certain depth underwater.
The storm was forecast and as a result I would have expected the captain to have taken her into port as they were so close to land. I'm hearing some hatches and doors may have been left open but with a storm forecast that should never have been the case. Battening down the hatches we call storm preparation, everything is made as secure and watertight as possible. I'm slightly surprised reports are saying they may have been left open for a breeze to flow through, but surely a super yacht would have air conditioning? Even then storm.preperation would have superceded comfort.

A lot of questions to be asked at the inquest for sure.

Going off what you have put, it sounds like the classic ''Could never happen to us'' type situation where complacency causes unnecessary deaths.

Going off what you have put, it sounds like the classic ''Could never happen to us'' type situation where complacency causes unnecessary deaths.

That often happens in disasters. Human error and sloppy work practices.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.