Lyon CL QF Post-Match Thread

Lyon should be given some credit here, their midfield, defence, shooting and tactics were better on the night.
And again if we had taken our chances we would be through. The team selection was a mistake, sideways passing, slow midfield providing little service to a lightweight front three.
Yes, that Denayer looked the business. Can we sign him? :-)

Yep i think the time has come for Pep to make clear what his intentions are going forward, we cannot have a season of wondering is he going is he staying because we just end up with Pellers last season. I personally hope he stays.

Why do we always have to blame VAR, poor finishing, poor defence? Why cant we go past QF of this competition ? As Kev said different season same story. Why this happens? I am pissed off even after a good night sleep.
Why cant someone do something. We have spent about a billion since pep came. But still QF. We have became a QF club. We have not been going past Monaco, Lyon and fucking Tottenham. Its ok not beating Liverpool but the other 3 clubs are more or less the same in their respective leagues. It is not that we are reaching SF or finals continuously and losing. I don't have a clue and i suppose neither our managers have. That doesnt look good. We should match clubs Horoscopes and do some Pooja/rituals or something. Like leicester city monks did some pooja. The year after they won the league.(it had some consequences though the owner was dead some years after in helicopter crash). This is for those who believe in karma.
Otherwise i cant see anything else for our improvement.

Last edited:
The first half was not the mistake of any players. Its pep mistakes. Walker was confused for the first goal. He had Ferna besides him who chould have tracked the goal scorer. If it was 4 at the back i suppose walker would have tracked. If he hadnt it would have been his fault. We should have gone with youth in the midfied to match them but we went for the formation to match them. 352 formation which became achillis heel. Before the game i thought we were making the same mistake that Barca did with bayern.
it was Walkers job as wing back to track their wing back. What is the point in matching their formation and then not doing the basics of defending. Thats what the conversation with Pep was about. He was tracking him on the half way line and then ball watched and then jogged behind him. it was as expensive an error as Raheems or Eddies.

In order of culpability we lost because:

1. our team formation in the first half was wrong
  2. our use of substitutes was poor
  3. VAR/Refereeing their second goal and more generally the referees game management
  4. individual errors

That last bit is bollocks and is something that winds me up with so many football fans. If their 2nd had been disallowed it would’ve led to a completely different set of circumstances in subsequent passages of play and that last goal of theirs may never have been scored, and certainly not in the exact way it was. After all, if Sterling had put that chance away then they wouldn’t have gone upfield and promptly scored the way they did. Sure, they might still have gone on to win the game 2-1 without the disallowed goal but we might have gone on to win it 4-1. No fucker will ever know what the knock-on impact would’ve been.
That last bit is bollocks and is something that winds me up with so many football fans. If their 2nd had been disallowed it would’ve led to a completely different set of circumstances in subsequent passages of play and that last goal of theirs may never have been scored, and certainly not in the exact way it was. After all, if Sterling had put that chance away then they wouldn’t have gone upfield and promptly scored the way they did. Sure, they might still have gone on to win the game 2-1 without the disallowed goal but we might have gone on to win it 4-1. No fucker will ever know what the knock-on impact would’ve been.
Totally agree with this....some people really are thick

Nothing more to say, that already hasn't been said.

That defeat was on Pep.

Only he knows why set us up like that in a winner takes all Knock out Champions League match.

losing 3-1 was bad enough.

Inexplicably finishing the game with Bernado,and Foden still sat on the Bench,and not using all the Subs.No one but Pep knows why that was.

Bernado was really looking forward to playing in front of his family.And Pep didn't give him any minutes.

Foden also deserved game time.

Bernado and Foden obviously dont have the game changing qualities of Gundoghino.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.