Lyon (H) - Post Match Thread

Gundogon needs to be rotated with some of the fans ,I'm sure there are thousands who can pass it back to the man who passed it to him, lose it, get ambushed regularly, .never win a header,pull out of every tackle and run slower than a steamroller. What Pep sees in him I cant for the life of me understand. Give Foden a chance , if he does anything at all it will be an improvement.

The result was a foregone conclusion with the team.selection. The question being, is Pep overestimating some of his players ability or underestimating the opposition. Similar to Wigan FA Cup, Wolves Carabao Cup last year.

I still think we had enough out on the pitch to beat Lyon on Wednesday if the players collectively - with one or two honourable exceptions - hadn’t chosen the night to put in bang average/poor performances and hadn’t made the kind of basic defensive errors that get punished at this level.

Knew we were in for a tough night when Gundogan and Ferna were starting together. They don't play well together at all imo. Try and occupy the same space, slow the pace of the game. Ferna starting with Bernardo & Silva with Sane on the left made a lot more sense, we looked 10x better when this happened, and they should have hooked gundogan off when we went 2 down really

I must have missed something because I didn't think we were much better - if any - in the second half compared to the first. The only difference was that we were chasing a 2-0 deficit and Lyon had a 2 goal cushion to defend so could afford to sit back and expect a bit of pressure from us.

Did we create any clear cut chances of note during the second half? Sane's missed header is the clearest i can think of off the top of my head. Lyon were still able to create 2 or 3 of their own. Our play was just as slow and off the ball movement non existent. Sterling and Sane when he came on were exceptions to this case.

Bernardo has been superb this season but other than the goal itself done absolutely nothing on Wednesday night and should have been hooked before either Sterling or Jesus imo.

A mixture of things seemed to go wrong for us, it wasn't totally a case of starting Gundo with Fernandinho which was the problem. We *weren't* much better when that system changed in my opinion.

Shamelessly stolen from elsewhere but if this is correct then it's clear we have a selection problem.

All negative results

Shakhtar away - no KDB and Silva, Aguero bench
Palace away - no Silva, Aguero bench
Liverpool away - no Silva
Burnley away - no Silva
Basel home CL - no Silva, Aguero or KDB
Liverpool away CL - no Aguero
United home - KDB and Aguero on the bench
Liverpool home CL - Aguero bench
Huddesrfield home - no Aguero
Wolves away - no KDB
Lyon home - no KDB, Aguero bench

The 3 players concerned cannot play every game and their replacements are not good enough.

We need more crowd suppport at cl home games,there were so many empty seats,need to make opponnents feel uncomfortable when playing at our fortress

Shamelessly stolen from elsewhere but if this is correct then it's clear we have a selection problem.

All negative results

Shakhtar away - no KDB and Silva, Aguero bench
Palace away - no Silva, Aguero bench
Liverpool away - no Silva
Burnley away - no Silva
Basel home CL - no Silva, Aguero or KDB
Liverpool away CL - no Aguero
United home - KDB and Aguero on the bench
Liverpool home CL - Aguero bench
Huddesrfield home - no Aguero
Wolves away - no KDB
Lyon home - no KDB, Aguero bench

The 3 players concerned cannot play every game and their replacements are not good enough.

This is really insightful and shows where the issue is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.