Maine Rd terrace characters

I wasn't knocking the crowds pal, I was just pointing out that they didn't ever get anywhere near the 14k again and the 19k season was the lowest. Football was at low eb in mid to late 80s and crowds were sparse at most clubs. I think the rags only got 36k that year and we were in the 2nd division which obviously didn't help. And I was at all the Huddersfield games that season, the 2 away in the cup were mental and arguably more blues than home fans.
Until Mancini arrived, the 87-88 season was always my favourite with huge away followings and crazy last minute goals at Wolves, Huddersfield, and Blackpool.

Until Mancini arrived, the 87-88 season was always my favourite with huge away followings and crazy last minute goals at Wolves, Huddersfield, and Blackpool.
Yes, I remember them all well. I was at Blackpool and Huddersfield in the cup and the scenes at the end will stay with me forever. Absolute carnage! I remember listening to the Wolves away one on Piccadilly radio and good old Brian Clarke doing his yodelling wwoooohhh shit when we scored but not actually stating we'd scored until at least 30 seconds later. Great days. There's a video of that Blackpool goal on YouTube. It's the scruffiest most scrambled goal you'll ever see, but the celebrations were 2nd to none. Ended up with brusies all over my body and cuts on my face because of it, my mam thought I'd been fighting.

Did 52 out of 58 that season as a 17-18 year old
Missed 4 night games
Sheff Utd
Bradford - yes that elusive away win started new job that week
Bournemouth - rearranged after booking time off
Plymouth & Boro on the Saturday

What did I have for tea last night?
No idea !!!!!

Missed 4 night games
Sheff Utd

No idea !!!!!
That Plymouth night game in the League Cup was interesting outside after the game!

Missed 4 night games
Sheff Utd

No idea !!!!!

I was similar with 53/58

Village cricket prevented me from attending the first game (Plymouth H) and last three Saturdays (Birmingham A Bradford H Palace A)
I also missed the 1-1 v Barnsley, due to being in Glasgow for the following afternoon's Skol Cup Final.

Just like you, I didn't have to google the teams, and I can remember all manner of obscure moments, from the tropical thunderstorm at Oldham, the heavy flooding at Swindon, McNab's comical penalty miss at Shrewsbury, the disbelief following Adcock's flukey winner at Millwall, the crowd trouble at Brentford, and even City scoring in the first minute of the FMC v Plymouth, just a few days after the 10-1

In fact, the only thing that completely passed me was that Division Two only contained 23 teams that season, so City must have had two separate weeks without a fixture.

Last edited:
I think 87-88 is a good comparison as City had plenty of terrible crowds by today's standards (as did everyone else) and yet often took thousands to away games.
One exception was the 10-1 return game at Huddersfield when our season was petering into anti climax. The crowd was only 7835, and yet I can recall 2-3 previous occasions when City had taken 10,000 to Leeds Road.
I was at that Huddersfield game. Think they’d already been relegated; the away end was sparse - complete opposite to the cup games there that season.

I was on this train. And I remember the crush outside the station and a copper on his horse squashing us against parked cars. Must be around 47 years ago, early ‘76/77 season.
I was on the train too. August 77, won 1-0. Amazingly 17,500 there

I knew Mark very well and we used to meet up in town and go all over the place in the late 60/70s. He had a mate who worked in the Ticket Office at Piccadilly Station and he managed to get 8 train tickets to Euston for about 10/- each, on the Friday prior to the League Cup Final v WBA.
Still see Mark every game. He is a Joes hospitality member.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.