Maine Rd terrace characters

I've always been fascinated by City's away following in the 1970s, essentially because it seemed to vary from 10,000 to a just couple of coachloads.
Denis Law scores at Birmingham and you can literally hear a pin drop on You Tube, as one fan claps in the background. However, the following season, we lose 4-0, and you see a whole group of City fans refusing to celebrate their 2nd goal
Similarly, we seemed to take thousands to Ashton Gate in 76-77, but hardly anyone to Roker Park earlier in the season.
I've often wondered how you even knew which stand to go to. At least by the time I started going regularly (80-81) there always seemed to be a specific away end.
My mate and I were at the Denis Law game at Birmingham in 73-74 (1-1) and from memory the City fans did seem quiet. We were in the middle of the Birmingham fans though. We were also at the 4-0 the following season and the atmosphere was much better. There were thousands of Blues at the Bristol City game when Gary Owen hit a 25 yard screamer into the net. We all went mental until we saw it was ruled out for an offside. We lost that one 1-0.

Think we were on 21 game unbeaten run before that Bristol game.
21 games without defeat whoa
21 games without defeat whoa
21 games without defeat Man City cannot be beat whoawo whoawoa
And yes we lost 1-0
Quite a few of ours in their end with a few making it across the pitch

I went on Paddy’s coach quite a few times with a group of lads from the Red Rose/Black Boy in Wythenshawe but there were lads from all over Manchester.
It was on the coach I met Dennis Lock and we became a mates. Other names I remember are Spider, Johny Kaye,The Vicar, Dave Heap, Jimmy McMullen, Len the Spew, Johnny Andrews, Ginger Johnstone, Davy Mac, Johnny Yarwood, Les Lowe, Jack Whitely the Hince brothers, who said they were related to Paul Hince the occasional City player and later journalist.
It was Jimmy Mac who introduced everyone to the Prospect of Whitby.
Dennis was a proper Jack the lad. I remember coming out of OT after the 69 derby and a rag rode past on a scooter mouthing off until Denis knocked him off the scooter, a bit of a scuffle followed and possibly an arrest or two.
The guys on the coach loved the midnight departures, which were sensible for the long trips but Paddy was persuaded to do a midnight run for Rotherham.
My first trip was to Pompey New Years day 1965. A guy in the Scoreboard end organised it, can’t remember his name but he was eventually replaced by Trevor from Northern Moor.
Great times.
Certainly bringing back memories this thread.
I recall I only went on the Friday night coach twice, the first to Newcastle where there was carnage during the match which resulted in a couple of coal miners by the look of them being stretchered out by the Red Cross and it carried on after the match. The plod couldn’t get the coach to leave quick enough.
The other time ended up in the Prospect of Whitby where a gobby yank got a pint pot smashed in his face.
Not really good memories!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.