Maine Road - 100 years old today!

Schalke ECWC semi I think

69/70 Semi final 2nd leg - hammered them.
I was one of the first over the Kippax wall but went face first in the mud before I reached the centre circle. I slid for around 10ft in mud about 6 inches deep ha ha ha!
I don't remember horses being on the pitch though...

Could the photo be the following season v Chelsea in the 2nd leg when they knocked us out? IIRC, they ran on the pitch at the end and things kicked off ner the Kippax.

Just seen this posted in a group. Maine Road in colour in 1934.

View attachment 104421
It's been incorrectly posted as the record crowd game in 1934. It's not from that game. I'd have to check but I'm sure it's the Sheff Wed Wednesday afternoon replay - that crowd was less than 70,000. Still remarkable for a Wednesday afternoon of course:

69/70 Semi final 2nd leg - hammered them.
I was one of the first over the Kippax wall but went face first in the mud before I reached the centre circle. I slid for around 10ft in mud about 6 inches deep ha ha ha!
I don't remember horses being on the pitch though...

Could the photo be the following season v Chelsea in the 2nd leg when they knocked us out? IIRC, they ran on the pitch at the end and things kicked off ner the Kippax.
It's definitely a celebratory pitch invasion after Schalke - the photo was one I obtained years ago from a German archive. It appeared in at least one of my books.

It's been incorrectly posted as the record crowd game in 1934. It's not from that game. I'd have to check but I'm sure it's the Sheff Wed Wednesday afternoon replay - that crowd was less than 70,000. Still remarkable for a Wednesday afternoon of course:
Thanks Gary. It’s an amazing photograph anyway. How did they all get time off work to go?

The car park attendant needs some training too!

Thanks Gary. It’s an amazing photograph anyway. How did they all get time off work to go?

The car park attendant needs some training too!
Half day closing on Wednesday’s for some areas of Manchester back then. I’ve interviewed fans in the past who attended as young kids - wagging off school. Similar with a FAC replay in 50s too.

Half day closing on Wednesday’s for some areas of Manchester back then. I’ve interviewed fans in the past who attended as young kids - wagging off school. Similar with a FAC replay in 50s too.
Loads at Wright Robbie wagged school to go City mid week matches home and away.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.