Maine Road or Etihad

I see your point here but remember that the Eitihad Stadium was built on top of a former coal mine, the Training Centre was built on the site of a chemicals factory. There was a gas works in the area. There are few forms of industrial pollution that are not found around the Etihad Campus.

Fortunateky most of the cost of remediation was picked up by the City Council, the European Union (remember them?) and other now defunct quasi-governmental bodies such as New East Manchester.
I guess it show the difference between getting planning permission and costs for remediation between something built by the government and a private company. I'm sure it also didn't help that the council that had a stadium that needed a tenant had a football club that might want to rebuild their own stadium!
I always ponder the what if's....My understanding is... had Manchester won either of its Olympic bids the plan had been for a larger stadium and not the scaled back one that we got and for Manchester United to be the preferred tenants, so perhaps Maine Rd's building problems would have gone away.... but we will never know, chances are though we wouldn't have this ownership group and any rebuild would have been cut priced to say the least, given the limited funding we had during that time period.

Plenty of room behind north stand as well. It was only the platt lane/ kippax corner where space was limited.
Meanwhile, over at Molineux Stadium late 1980s...

"Space is limited you say... Hold my beer"

There was always enough room to turn the pitch at Maine Road and rebuild the stands. The issue was always money. Pre-Mansour, we would never have even considered that level of investment.

As much as I still don't particularly like the Etihad and the lack of proper Maine Road atmosphere, the simple fact is that our move there was the making of the club we see now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.