Maine Road?

Blue Streak

Anyone still pine for the place or is our new adventures finally putting it to hazy memories?

I think a packed Maine Road during the heady day's of the late 60's and 1970's certainly evokes a few, but the the mess it had become at the end. The bad times throughout the 1980's and heartbreak of the mid to late 90's compared to the glamour of the Etihad shades it for me now.

Happy Day's in Moss Side but the club has returned to it's spiritual area, play's in one of the best Stadiums in the country and now has possibly the best squad in it's history.

That magical feeling and aura around Maine Rd will never be repeated at the Etihad I don't think, it was really a special atmosphere but with time our (new) stadium will feel more like home. I cried a tear when it went, it was like having a loss and I think we like to remember it before the new Kippax and Platt Lane stands were built, absolutely crap wasn't they?

If we stay at the Etihad for the same amount of time (80 or more years) and in that time see the stadium expanded, worked on and made more to feel like our home, plus any successes we see adding to the memories, then CoMS should have the same sort of feel and homeliness as Maine Road, but i doubt i'll see it in my lifetime.

The Etihad feels like a wonderful stadium where City play, but not what i'd call a home from home. Maine Road had the memories of dozens of generations having watched and shared their own memories and quirky tales passed down to the next set of supporters.

Etihad hasn't got that yet, but it should, if we stay there, but for now, yeah i still miss the old bird.

Blue Lloyd said:
Anyone still pine for the place or is our new adventures finally putting it to hazy memories?

I think a packed Maine Road during the heady day's of the late 60's and 1970's certainly evokes a few, but the the mess it had become at the end. The bad times throughout the 1980's and heartbreak of the mid to late 90's compared to the glamour of the Etihad shades it for me now.

Happy Day's in Moss Side but the club has returned to it's spiritual area, play's in one of the best Stadiums in the country and now has possibly the best squad in it's history.

i miss the atmosphere in the Kippax - loved the Kippax dont miss mutch else apart from the ticket prices

I do miss it,as a lot say,the memories and the ghosts,thinking of meeting friends now dead there,or travelling down with them,laughing,singing on the kippax.

I liked the fact i could look out of the ground at those old slates on the roof of the surrounding houses as we got another tonking,usually wet with rain and escape the misery for a few seconds.

How it used to rock when full and the crowd stirred into life and how the cocky cockneys and scousers feared the rat run of alleys they often perished in when they came to take liberties.Happy days.

I really do miss Maine Road before moving to Chester I used to walk from Burnage to games past the toast rack across Platt Fields to catch sight of the old flood lights meant I wasn't far away and I used to get such a buzz. That said the Etihad is an amazing stadium facilities are light years ahead of anything we had at Maine Road. I look at my two sons (10 & 5) and catching sight of The Etihad I know they get the same buzz I did all those years earlier

Franny Lee's Barrel Chest said:
Has the building finished there now? Didn't the builders go out of business and leave it half done?

Went down there last week and it didn't look finished to me.

Looked a complete eyesore if I'm honest and totally out of character with the rest of the area.

Maine road all day long for me , as a season ticket holder in kippax and north stand, no one telling you to sit down and no one looking at you like an alien for wanting to sing and wanting to vent some frustration , the atmosphere at etihad is severely lacking, used to get goose bumps at a maine road when the place was rocking sadly never had that feeling at etihad

To be honest i miss the maine road from (im am 41) 76/88ish when i got to 18! But maine road after that was dire. I can now look at the pitch and don't even know where i am, just watching the football!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.