Maine Road?

Grew up near the ground always new i was home when the floodlights came into view.
The night matches were always special for me the glare off the lights but it was always pitch black walking around the outside of the ground and guaranteed to stand in horse shit.
Dodgy blokes selling burgers floating in some type of hot water.

I get to emotional when I think of Maine Road. The last game there was gut wrenching. As a kid sitting on the bar with the concrete underneath in the Kippax, with my dad and his mates stood behind. Then moving to the singing section in the top corner when I was old enough.
The place had character, the back streets, telling the kids who looked after the cars 'if your here when i get back.....'
Quality place, plenty of my history around the back streets of Maine Road.
Mum went to Claremont Rd school etc.
Sad day when we moved.

I think the Etihad is a boring, grey, soulless, lifeless - have I said boring? - converted athletics stadium (not a proper footy stadium!). It doesn't feel like home, one bit. I hate how the tiers are small and hate the set-up of the place.

Maine Road was shit after the Kippax was torn down in 1994 but even after that it had more soul than our current stadium.

I often do the early shift and take the truck into town most days 'bout 5am, always hang a left off the Parkway into Claremont Rd and park up on the return journey for a wander.. Stan's house is still there, promised myself one day I'd buy it and save on the walkin' never did, never will.. you can form a picture in ya mind as to where everythin was, North Stand, Ticket Office, Main Entrance etc.. sad to see all the 'boozers' boarded up though, Lord Lion to The Gardeners, quick 3 in The Sherwood.. lost count of the times I heard the first goal scored whilst drainin' a glass in The Sherwood. I do miss it, my daughter is ten and thinks 'this is the norm'.. FA Cup Parades, Wembley Trips, Top Of The League, 6 in a Derby.. all in a days work for the new breed. I wouldn't go back though.. ''Cos' If Ya' Know Ya' History.. Then You Would Know Where Ya' Comin' From' (Bob Marley)

danburge82 said:
I think the Etihad is a boring, grey, soulless, lifeless - have I said boring? - converted athletics stadium (not a proper footy stadium!). It doesn't feel like home, one bit. I hate how the tiers are small and hate the set-up of the place.

Maine Road was shit after the Kippax was torn down in 1994 but even after that it had more soul than our current stadium.

Buildings don't have "soul". The people in them do.

danburge82 said:

bit harsh.

There's 2 matches I want to share about my Maine Rds days, and it was when
I was 8 years old and my Dad took me to Maine Rd for my first match with City in 1967, typical Saturday Afternoon cold and pouring down, I thought the ground was huge from the outside and the noise was incredible from inside, I stood with my Dad on this huge open end terrace that was opposite the platt end [ well before the North Stand was built ] it had metal barriers dotted around it, we both got soaked that day, I dont remember who we played but I think we won the match, but it was the start of my life as a Mad City Supporter.The second match was in the 75-76 season, and was the 2nd leg of the League Cup Semi -Final against Middlesbrough awesome night, Maine Rd was rocking, constant singing all around the ground, Kippax was a sea of blue and white, we won 4-0 and myself and my dad was in the North Stand, what a night.......good memories of a awesome ground

Having been born and bred in C-on-M and watched City since the mid fifties I agree with all the memories people have posted. The Kippax was a wonderful place in the late 60,s early 70,s. And yes those days can never be repeated for me because I am too old , like a lot of us who were there. But with having the best owner in football who is determined to give us the best team in our history the Etihad will become as exciting a place for younger fans as it was for me in my youth. I admit that as I now approach the Etihad the hairs on my neck stand on end because I am going to watch my team in a wonderful modern stadium. But maybe those hairs would stand on end if City were playing on Bennett St, who knows. I remember stopping at services on my way home from Wembley last season with my grandchildrenand another old blue, like me said, They don't know how lucky they are, and he is right. So enjoy the ride and if you want a stadium that rocks my memory of the Kippax tells me it is us supporters who made it rock. Go to Goodison if you would like to know how we would be faring if we had stayed at Maine Road. In life you can never go back, so lets move forward and create new memories for all supporters, new and old.

i was talking to my eldest lad on the way to blackburn about what you'd wish for given 3 wishes. obviously unlimited money would be number 1 and that'd pay for most things in life, but i decided my second wish would be to go to see city at maine road for one more game.

hampo's (eccles) - blob shop - beehive - maine road - beehive - hampo's - deansgate - 21 piccadilly.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO-xVVo7b8s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO-xVVo7b8s</a>

emotional

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.