Maine Road?

Ticket For Schalke said:
If you can learn to love another woman, im sure we can learn to love another stadium :)

But, you NEVER forget your first............ ;o)

Bluemoonbaldboy said:
I really do miss Maine Road before moving to Chester I used to walk from Burnage to games past the toast rack across Platt Fields to catch sight of the old flood lights meant I wasn't far away and I used to get such a buzz. That said the Etihad is an amazing stadium facilities are light years ahead of anything we had at Maine Road. I look at my two sons (10 & 5) and catching sight of The Etihad I know they get the same buzz I did all those years earlier

That landmark just entered my head for the first time in years!

As someone else said, the Etihad will become home once history has been made there. Maine Road had memories of a League won in 1968 and everything else yet we're only just beginning to see great things at our new ground. I miss Maine Road for a variety of reasons but I wouldn't go back there now.

Unfortunately it can not be repeated or manufactured the sites the sound and yes the smell are totaly unique and sadly i will miss them for ever more.
Main road was my first love i could see it from our house and it was always there even if i wasn't.
It was a love that left me i didn't leave her and i shall always be sad that i cannot find that love again at our new home(an all singing section would help) .
But i would not swap it for the football we have at our club now god we had to watch some dross onwards and upwards City

There was something about walking up the stairs at the back of the Kippax and looking down from the top onto the pitch that was so exciting during the late 60's and 70's, and to being able to watch City play at both ends of the pitch from the Kippax was so unique, and Maine Rd had an amazing atmosphere.....those were the days....

tommo74 said:
Maine road all day long for me , as a season ticket holder in kippax and north stand, no one telling you to sit down and no one looking at you like an alien for wanting to sing and wanting to vent some frustration , the atmosphere at etihad is severely lacking, used to get goose bumps at a maine road when the place was rocking sadly never had that feeling at etihad

But you have to admit that the atmosphere in Maine Road especially after it was made all seater was often very very poor, though still loved the walk from the Beehive to the ground (as a citycard holder then, i could be in ht eNorth Stand, Block KK getting soaked, or the Main Stand), the Main Stand was nearly alway quiet, KK could be hit or miss and on quite a few occassions even the North Stand would be quiet for most of the game.

I loved the place and would have it back tomorrow but that is just me, a 50 something dinosaur. I preferred the area as well - better pubs etc, also there are loads of lads I used to see in various pubs in Moss Side and Rusholme that I never see anymore. However nothing I can do about it and I love City wherever we play

it would have been nice to have had maine road flattend and the etihad built there, so the kippax could have stayed etc, the area where we are is grim,it might pick up as its developed, a lack of private street sellers and burger outlets have taken the soul from the matchday, everthing is aimed at to make the most profit beer prices and food with no competition to force prices to drop

For most of us older fans Maine Road will for ever be a place of memories good and bad but it is a big part of my life.
From being a young of 9 on my first visit (A game we lost against Wolves) standing on the scoreboard end to nearly 50 years later having a season ticket in the main stand it retains sentimental memories
The cheerleader on the scoreboard end who wore what looked like a demob suit and had glasses kept together with what looked like elastaplast Soon learned all the songs 2-4-6-8 who do we appreciate C I T Y City we would bellow out in reply Happy days you couldn't wait for the next game Getting older transferred to the Kippax where I stood for years till its demise Such happy days It's hard to describe to my sons what it was like in those days A vibrant place so alive So many memories one in particular which I think sums up being a City fan in those days Good Friday 1962 a game against Sheffield Wednesday City had a very young team out with the likes of David Wagstaffe Neil Young Dave Connor and Glyn Pardoe we won 3-1 and my pal was full of enthusiasm nudged me ans said 'we gonna have some team next season' Of course we were relegated typical City
The best night in the Kippax and there were many was 2-0 win over Everton in last home match of the 67/68 season as we were leaving the new came through that the rags had been beaten at West Brom 6-3 City were top Indescribable feeling win at Spurs and Newcastle we were champions We danced up Claremont Road to the Sherwood That night I knew we would win it
Making me misty eyed recalling all this and too many memories to put down here Those I stood with for years sadly now no longer with us I bet they are still cheering us on from up there
Maine Road for fans of my era will never die it is burned into my brain I loved the place but progress is inevitable not always for the better but then I am biased

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.