Major mistakes of MCFC?

black mamba said:
wayne71 said:
Sacking Mancini!

Could well prove to be THE biggest mistake of all ......

despite all the stories of Mancinis unpopularity with some players , he WAS making his mark here .... when the club weren't winning trophies , they were finishing in creditable league positions , or losing finals ... and things WOULD have almost certainly have improved in Europe.

Mancini had the respect of close rival , Alex Ferguson , something which hardly any City manager has gained , for the RIGHT REASONS , during the last 26 years .... and the club appeared , at long last , to be establishing some sort of important stability.

But we'll never know now , and if Pellegrini IS to be installed , then he deserves both the clubs , and our full backing.
No sacking Mancini could be the best decision our club has made. Right decision at the right time for the next stage.<br /><br />-- Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:06 pm --<br /><br />
Feed-The-Goat said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Feed-The-Goat said:
Nigel De Jong.

Still hurts to this day.

I dont think so, another player that wanted to move on. He isn't worth over 100k a week and found that out himself when he got less from AC Milan than City offered him

People say he only started 8 games or so in his final year, but he was more influential than people think. He helped keep morale up in the dressing room, him coming on to bolster the midfield so Yaya could push on and the way he took key players out of games was something we missed last season.

Not many players are worth 100k a week to me, but i doubt the rumours were true he demanded that. We could have paid him less.
We offered him a contract, he refused it, he asked to leave.

black mamba said:
wayne71 said:
Sacking Mancini!

Could well prove to be THE biggest mistake of all ......

despite all the stories of Mancinis unpopularity with some players , he WAS making his mark here .... when the club weren't winning trophies , they were finishing in creditable league positions , or losing finals ... and things WOULD have almost certainly have improved in Europe.

Mancini had the respect of close rival , Alex Ferguson , something which hardly any City manager has gained , for the RIGHT REASONS , during the last 26 years .... and the club appeared , at long last , to be establishing some sort of important stability.

But we'll never know now , and if Pellegrini IS to be installed , then he deserves both the clubs , and our full backing.

And there is that buzz word that means nothing all because one freak of a man did it just up the road from us

djimaldblue said:
Ray78 said:
Allowing Peter Swales to join the board then become Chairman.

As much as you might hate the old man he was City through and through. Even though he didn't make us bigger than "Stretford Rangers" he certainly tried.

In my time supporting City the biggest mistake was getting rid of Tony Book and replacing him with Malcolm Allison who dismantled a fine team and introduced the likes of Steve Daley.
Being City through and through has no baring with anything because when he took over we were one of the five premier clubs of this country, by the time he left we were a fucking joke. He oversaw all that with many huge mistakes being made.

Sacking Peter Reid when we were a Premier League force in 1993 set us back until 2009.

The Kaka business.

Caveman said:
djimaldblue said:
Ray78 said:

As much as you might hate the old man he was City through and through. Even though he didn't make us bigger than "Stretford Rangers" he certainly tried.

In my time supporting City the biggest mistake was getting rid of Tony Book and replacing him with Malcolm Allison who dismantled a fine team and introduced the likes of Steve Daley.
Being City through and through has no baring with anything because when he took over we were one of the five premier clubs of this country, by the time he left we were a fucking joke. He oversaw all that with many huge mistakes being made.

Swales was the catalyst behind our downfall,every cock up and wrong decision had to be funded and rubber stamped by him and there were many.I remember actually being excited when i heard Allison was coming back and he was going to be given massive financial backing to turn us into a major force again.Instead he paid mega bucks for inferior players thinking he could recreate the 1960's side and it failed catastrophically.

Swales might have been a blue but i tell you he was SO bad at running us that a lot of people were convinced he was a rag plant just to ruin us,yes he really was THAT bad!

Corky said:
Sacking Peter Reid when we were a Premier League force in 1993 set us back until 2009.

The Kaka business.

I am proud to say I was an early and leading 'Reid Out' vocalist at the games. As a manger he was shite. Particularly when he brought in the tactical wizard of one Sam Ellis. It was long ball stuff all day long. He completely froze out Clive Allen in favour of Adrian Heath! Clive Allen used to sit next to me when he didn't play (which was often) when I had my season ticket in the old Main Stand and I used to chat to him a bit. I asked him one Saturday just what he had done for Adrian Heath to get picked in front of him week in and week out. He just shook his head and said he genuinely had no idea - no one on the coaching staff ever told him. Nice guy is Clive Allen.

I once gave it Reid full on for the virtually the whole game and when it was finished the guy behind me said to me 'do you know who that woman was sat next to you?' I answered 'no' he said 'Peter Reids wife!'

I genuinely didn't give a hoot. Reid was a managerial disaster. he lived off the work of Howard Kendall for 2 years.

Prestwich_Blue said:
1) Letting Swales in the boardroom. This clueless, self-serving buffoon wasn't fit to lick Albert Alexander's feet and was out for all he could get. We paid the price for 30 years.

2) Wardle backing Keegan over Bernstein. That lost us a chairman who'd done so much to rebuild the club and in the next 6 years it nearly all fell apart.

3) Backing Alistair Mackintosh over Chris Bird. AM maybe wasn't quite as buffoonish as Swales but he was at least as dangerous. Another self-serving tosser (who was also a rag). Only interested in his bonus and maintaining his status.

All these, but especially 1). Swales was a Swales fan, not a blue.

Oh and selling Gary Flitcroft and Tony Coton in the midst of a relegation scrap.

Gingers Dad said:
djimaldblue said:
Ray78 said:

Swales was Swales through and through. The **** tried to run our club into the ground. And if that wasn't his intention he was doing a pretty poor job at what he was trying to achieve

I remember the tenure of Peter Swales very well and I agree that the guy was a blue through and through but I also agree that he was self-interested as well and his grip on power was both detrimental to City and himself. The pain of removing him followed by the disappointing Francis Lee years were worthwhile. He was holding us back and the mistake of bringing back Allison and then bankrupting us with over-inflated transfers was his fault. He then spent 20 years trying to sort it and never did. When the Premier League started we should have been one of those clubs like Spurs or Arsenal that were strong enough to stay in the league and benefit from it's riches but we weren't; that was his fault as well. The domination of the Rags that followed was not his fault, but it was final straw and fan power (used by Lee) finally got rid of him. That was the start of new beginning, the fruits of which we are finally enjoying today.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.