Making the most of Sunday! What you doing?

So true, the multiplication divisions taught at infant school in my day set you up for life. They were chanted by all the kids in unison up to the 12 x tables, unsure why they stopped at that. Little tricks also, like for 11 x, do 10 x and add a tenth or nine x and knock off a tenth. Great basic maths understanding, guess it's not been that way for a long time.
Your explanation of 9x and 11x would blow the mind of many an A-Level student these days, they wouldn't even know what you meant. As you say "basic maths understanding" of how numbers work but too many simply rely on computer aided maths now-a-days. Good luck with it fella, don't envy you one little bit having to teach one of your own, stress levels through the roof I'd bet.

going for a half marathon, right now!
Just watched the documentary on the battle of Marathon the other night and fascinating viewing. The Athenians were outnumbered by the Persian horde 2.1 but they seized the day using terrain to their advantage. A little like leonardis the Spartan commander did forty years later at those hot gates.

A little info on the Marathon and amazing runS of pheidippides.

Battle of marathon pheidippides run clip to sparta

After the battlke of Marathon he ran to athens to tell them of their victory but also to warn that the Persians may be sailing to athens Right Now!! for a sea assualt. After running about 25 miles to the Acropolis he burst into the chambers and gallantly hailed his countrymen with “Nike! Nike! Nenikekiam” (“Victory! Victory! Rejoice, we conquer!”). And then he promptly collapsed from exhaustion and died.

Turns out, however, the story is bigger than that. Much bigger.

Last edited:
Your explanation of 9x and 11x would blow the mind of many an A-Level student these days, they wouldn't even know what you meant. As you say "basic maths understanding" of how numbers work but too many simply rely on computer aided maths now-a-days. Good luck with it fella, don't envy you one little bit having to teach one of your own, stress levels through the roof I'd bet.
I'm way past having anyone to teach, my Granddaughter is 13!! I didn't realise maths was so much computer aided, thought they may use excel where we used log tables but I'm way out of touch. I was a shop Manager for William Hill's from 1980 -1989, "settling" machines came out around mid 80's but the first course you were sent on was how to manually work out bets, it was mostly done on fractions. A basic knowledge of maths was required to break down the odds. I used to hate 8/13 winners, it was two thirds of the stake minus 2/13 of the two thirds, it was a badge of honour not to revert to a calculator (stake x 21/13), it's mostly what I did, work out bets in the afternoons, 6 days a week for 9 years, I wish my brain was as agile now but that was a tough job for average remuneration.

We have to eat and I guess you don't have Asda's on your doorstep like we do. What are you going to hunt for...maybe an elk, a deer, a pronghorn, black bear, mountain lion, a wolve, a moose, pheasant, grouse, a mountain goat, a turkey, a bighorn sheep or simply whatever trots your way? Bow or rifle ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.