Malta

SteWadda said:
Looking at booking our summer holiday soon and Malta looks pretty cheap to get to and stay.

Has anyone been recently?
What's it like?
Is it expensive to eat out and for other holiday activities?

Cheers in advance

yes
Beautiful
A posh meal will cost u loads
rest of the hols will be brill
Where the citys are.....there are no beaches....north of the island is sooooooo gorgeous

I f'ng luv Malta

SteWadda said:
Mellieha is where we were looking to go. Would you recommend it for a family holiday?
Also people who have been how much do you reckon I need to take for for a family of 4?

OK,

Mellieha is probably the best and nicest beach on the Island, followed by Golden bay about three miles away, but if I was you, I wouldn't base myself there, as it is right at the north of the Island, although to drive from one end of the Island only takes 45 mins...about 22 miles roughly. Personally, I would go to St Julians, Sliema or Buggiba, there is a lot more going on, and is nearer the capital Valletta.

Malta is not expensive, about the same as the UK, although the weather does not start to get warmer till mid April when it can be rather pleasant. February/March can be cold, but still obviously better than the UK. When it DOES rain in Malta it can rain HARD, even more so than here. The Maltese for rain is Xita, pronounced Shitta..

biggrin.gif

BimboBob said:
Is that posh restaurant still in Mellieha? The chef cooks for the Royal Family when they are in town apparently. One of the best meals I've even eaten.

I expect you mean "The Arches", halfway down the main street, which is superb, but just up from there at the top of the hill on the same side opposite the HSBC bank, The Hilltop restaurant is very nice too...

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
BimboBob said:
Is that posh restaurant still in Mellieha? The chef cooks for the Royal Family when they are in town apparently. One of the best meals I've even eaten.

I expect you mean "The Arches", halfway down the main street, which is superb, but just up from there at the top of the hill on the same side opposite the HSBC bank, The Hilltop restaurant is very nice too...

That's the bunny. Stayed at the Solarium down the hill a bit.

Stayed in Mellieha for a week in April 2011. Flights were only £100 each return from Manchester with Air Malta (included bags and food), nice comfortable hotel at the top of the hill (will make sense if you've stayed there) was £175.

We really enjoyed it. Very quiet, not many tourists, excellent weather (around 25 everyday which was decent for early April). The beach was pleasant with a very calm (and cold!) sea. Not much going on at that time, which was fine by us. Think we spent around 350e during the week, that included all food/drink transport and activities.

Thinking of going myself early April weekend of the derby in fact, what will the weather be like anybody know

Mrs Dt and I went for a week of winter sun a few years ago. I joked it will be nice when it was finished. We enjoyed our holiday there but it was not the best holiday we had been on. I think we stayed in Bugiba and it was perfectly nice. Lovely rabbit stew. Beaches are a bit pebbly and scarce but we went on one of the old buses to Golden Bay/Sands and it was nice.

I would give it a whirl and see what happens.

Oh Mr Rascal -I like the author Tim Willocks who wrote a book called The Religion. A fictional account of the siege. A good read.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.