Malta

Been once
Walked down to the front to look at the sandy beach and just seen a big fuck off piece of neverending rock..
That was about 12 years ago.

The cookie monster said:
Been once
Walked down to the front to look at the sandy beach and just seen a big fuck off piece of neverending rock..
That was about 12 years ago.

You can't expect every island to be an identikit white-sand-lazy-beaches-perfect-for-tanning tropical paradise though. Then again, I don't really see any interest in beaches full stop.

Oh, another thing I forgot to add about similarities with Italy - they drive like madmen, or at least they frequently cut each other up and don't readily stop for pedestrians. They don't really have automated car park ticket machines either - expect to have to put a euro in the hand of a local who will often wave you into spaces.

Other good things - they use British plugs and drive on the left. Also the glassworks often do live demonstrations at the industrial park near the football stadium.

Falastur said:
Oh, another thing I forgot to add about similarities with Italy - they drive like madmen, or at least they frequently cut each other up and don't readily stop for pedestrians. They don't really have automated car park ticket machines either - expect to have to put a euro in the hand of a local who will often wave you into spaces.

Other good things - they use British plugs and drive on the left. Also the glassworks often do live demonstrations at the industrial park near the football stadium.

What time's the next flight? Where's my passport?

SteWadda said:
I have decided we are going.

Family of 4, Mellieha last 2 weeks in August £1880.

The mrs is really excited about all the historical sites kids will be happy with the beach at Mellieha and the roof top pool at the apartments.

I'll be happy getting stuck into some reading about the history of the place before we go and then exploring when we get there.

Cheers for the replies.

Oh and I think I'll be buying a city shirt for the first time in years if it is full of rags.

Excellent.

It will be very hot then,.......thunderstorms usually start around 6th September, which can be very heavy...but only last for a few hours...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjMYb1A-3NM[/youtube]

If you decide to hire a car, (recommended, don't forget your licence...both parts)......a smallish/medium size one is all you will need. Plenty of info about everything on the net, try and get off the beaten track a bit, and not just to stick to all the usual "tourist" places all the time.

I'm sure you will love it

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
kippax81 said:
My sister used to live in Malta (Sliema) and married a local - turned out to be a right twat,and yes he was a rag.My 3 nephews were also born on the island.

Have been to Malta several times when our kid lived there,and thought it was a fascinating place.Locals are very friendly and the pace of life is very relaxed.The history of the place is unbelievable,I think it was the only place to ask to join the Empire-though could be wrong,and I recommend reading up on the place before you visit.

Mdina,Mostar(3rd largest domed church in the world-with a big fuck off bomb in it left over from the war),Gozo,the Blue Lagoon,and the Grand Harbour(deepest port in the Med) are all worth a visit. It is worth hiring a car,but the local buses,all imported from the UK and all from the 50's are an experience.

It is true that you either love Malta or hate it.Go with an open mind,explore,and I'm sure you'll love it.I do.

On a slightly different tangent,my sister used to model over there,and did TV work in Italy for Cisk,the local brew.....and no...I don't have any pictures

Good post, with a couple of small errors........:-)

The bomb in MOSTA church is a replica, not the original unexploded one.

All the old 50's yellow/blue buses have now gone, (or most of them) to be replaced by moderh Arriva buses, you could be anywhere in the UK, also many of the old dusty potholed roads are now more like motorway standard in the UK, Malta has had a great influx of money from the EEC, since they joined a few years ago, to pay for this work.

75% of Maltese support Manchester United, the rest Arsenal or Chelsea, lord forgive them, for they know not what they do................the tide will turn...

Didn't know about the buses......it has been a few years since my last visit.Shame but I guess you can't stand in the way of progress.
And you're right about the support for the Rags.....fucking despicable,,,but as you say,the tide will definitely turn :-)

I'm going to Buggiba in September for the third year in a row. It is a shit-hole! It is great for diving though, so my diving club has a trip there every year. It is a bit too English for my taste - I prefer to see different cultures. A lot of our lot are like smack addicts trying to go cold turkey if they can't get a full English or pie and chips, so it keeps everyone happy.

We always make a trip to Valletta though, which is the polar opposite of Bugibba. We have paid a visit to Gozo too but we never got chance to stop for a look around as the itinerary is ferry, dive, food, dive, ferry, out on the piss in Buggiba. Gozo seems to be much less of a tourist trap and generally quieter.

Spent a lot of time there when i was in the Royal Navy .Loved the place last went for a holliday 20 years ago

cyberblue said:
Spent a lot of time there when i was in the Royal Navy .Loved the place last went for a holliday 20 years ago

I think you will find it has changed a lot......even in the last three years....

Some for the better......some not.

The Grand harbour is still as spectacular as ever though.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.