Man City V Barcelona Pre Match thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just joined although ive been on this site for a fair few years, gotta say although we dont have Yaya playing tomorrow night, im quite confident we can beat Barca, hopefully we get our noses in front early then counter, concentrate for 95 mins and its ours
Hart
Zabba VK Mangala Kolorav
Navas Fernandhino Fernando Milner
Aguero
Dzeko

onthelow said:
leech said:
sam-caddick said:
We are not stronger than Barcelona.

They will have more of the ball against most sides and that is their best form of defence and their front three is definitely the best around in my opinion and can win games on their own, don't underestimate their midfield as well even if it isn't the classic Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets trio.

Lot's on here - myself included - thought Barca were on the decline last year and we went into the home tie after just beating Chelsea in the cup, we got outplayed and battered all over the park, even before the sending off.

The Malaga result aside, Barca were just one win away before that game from going on an all time record 12 league wins or something.
I wouldn't say they had us all over the park before the Demichelis sending off, we were pretty comfortable letting them keep possession and creating very little while we were breaking and Negredo was starting to get one or two chances. Demichelis got caught out by his lack of pace to catch Messi and the tie swung, Mangala won't have that problem.

On sheer quality alone, I'd combine the two teams to have:

Hart
Zabaleta - Kompany - Mangala - Alba
Busquets - Toure - (Iniesta)
(Silva) - Messi - Neymar
Aguero

To explain some choices as it may seem blue-tinted, Zabaleta is ahead of Alves as Alves is now almost 32 and doesn't have the same energy he used to, and Barcelona haven't even bothered to tie him down to a new contract yet (which expires this summer). Mangala ahead of Pique as although Mangala is more inconsistent, he also has none of Pique's weaknesses such as pace, and in the big games performs to a standard Pique couldn't dream of. It was heavily rumoured Barcelona wanted Mangala in the summer to replace Pique but decided the price was too high.
Silva is ahead of Suarez as Silva is a much more consistent performer, while Suarez was outstanding last season it was possible to shut him out, as we did a few times and as Chelsea did. If your defense has a weakness he will find it, otherwise.... Silva is effective in pretty much every game - couldn't choose between Iniesta and Silva though. Hart is goalkeeper as I don't even know if Barcelona have yet established whether they have a number one they trust following Valdes' departure.

Throw in that I trust Pellegrini far more than Enrique (it was rumoured Barcelona sniffed around him in the summer before going for Enrique), and I don't think we should go into this as underdogs (though we will as an added bonus of Barcelona's past glories).
First of all, your line up consists of 12 players. Second of all, I don't understand why did you compare Silva, who is AM, to Suarez, who is CF.

While I can't argue about the presence of Silva, Toure and Zabaleta (Alves is still superior quality wise but hasn't been himself since like 2011) in your line up, I have serious doubts about what are Kompany, Mangala and Hart doing there.

While I can't deny Mangala and Kompany are great players, I personally rate Pique and Mascherano way higher. Mangala is overpriced and overrated as hell, as he keeps proving this season he's not even worth half the money you paid for him. Kompany is an error machine and you never know what you get with him. He's most of the time solid but I wouldn't say he's a safe bet in defence. Ticking time bomb while Pique is absolutely on fire this season and comitted roughly 1 mistake the past months. On the other hand, Mascherano's tackling is probably the best in the world and maybe he lacks height but I still would take him over Mangala or Kompany any day, any time.

Honestly I never kept an eye on Hart that much but I wouldn't say any of Claudio Bravo or the young Marc-Andre ter Stegen are much inferior.

At last, I'd like to compare Suarez with Aguero. With all due respect, Luis is quite obviously the more complete player in general. He contributes to the team way better and overall he's a much better team player. Aguero is dangerous on the counter but that's pretty much it. When facing a bus, he's competely hopeless.

Now, coming to the meritum of my thought, I'd like you to present the line up I would pick (can't argue about the goalkeepers because there's not much difference, I have to kick one player out as your line up had 12 lads):

Hart or Bravo
Zabaleta - Pique - Mascherano - Alba
Toure - Busquets - Silva
Messi - Suarez - Neymar

BTW, good luck tomorrow!

Fucking patronizing sod.

We do need a little bit of luck tomorrow, I do not think that Barca's result on Saturday is going to do us any favours. All in all I would take a draw as we have every chance of turning them over at the Nou Camp.

And for the record before you start bollocking me just wait till after the game

the most important thing is that we don't concede an away goal

the reason why chelsea won over 2 legs against barca is because they didn't concede at home in the first leg...and won 1-0/ I don't think people realise how huge away goals are and i fancy us to be able to score at the nou camp.

When I read Catalanyunian's newspapers I smelled fear. There are a lot of atacks to City from de journalist saying 'City is still no match for Barca', last year I didn't read that amount of crap. Maybe this year the story will be different and they know it will.

COME ON MANCHESTER CITY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

agyeiboateng said:

the reason why chelsea won over 2 legs against barca is because they didn't concede at home in the first leg...and won 1-0/ I don't think people realise how huge away goals are and i fancy us to be able to score at the nou camp.

im going to be a c**t here but the most important thing is qualifying ;)

aguero93:20 said:
ilovefotball said:
aguero93:20 said:
Bilbao are shite. I'd be worried about my teams professionalism if we'd put on a show like you lot did on Saturday.

Bilbao at home ground is anything but shite.

I am not worried by my team's professionalism at all because it was an easy game at home right before the big encounter in CL. Sometimes things like this happen and it often makes the players more cautious and fired up for the next match.

You should be worried about their professionalism and their mentality, it's something you never would have seen from the great, dominant Barca teams, if your team are behaving like that you're as far away from your peak years as you've ever been since.

If you Count Pep's Barca as one og the great, dominant Barca teams, then let me refresh you that we have drawn and lost some games before some big ties. This team is obviously not as good as Pep's Barca but the players have shown enough professionalism and mentality over the years for me to not be worried just because of them losing against Malaga by thinking about the bigger tie.

dempseym24 said:
Just joined although ive been on this site for a fair few years, gotta say although we dont have Yaya playing tomorrow night, im quite confident we can beat Barca, hopefully we get our noses in front early then counter, concentrate for 95 mins and its ours
Hart
Zabba VK Mangala Kolorav
Aguero
Dzeko

I doubt there's anyway we'll leave Nasri & Spanish Dave out.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Sagna and Clichy at fullback as well.

agyeiboateng said:

Whilst I agree, I do think Barca will score tomorrow, it's just up to us to make sure they only get the one goal if they do so, 2 or more away goals could kill the tie before we even set into the Nou Camp.

dempseym24 said:
Hart
Zabba VK Mangala Kolorav
Aguero
Dzeko

Madness. You're either not a City fan or on a wind up.

Kolarov and Dzeko but no Nasri or Silva.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.