Manchester City - Premier League Champions 2022/23

As I've said elsewhere, well done to everyone at the club for another well deserved title win. The best club in the land and all the world, is a fact now for me.

It didn't take long for the excuses to come out about spending. I've seen all sorts of mental gymnastics and compium over the last few days. They can't seem to make their mind up which timeframe they want to set on their comparisons anymore. I think 2011/12 is the most relevant time frame, it's where the major Etihad deal started and it's where the majority of success under Sheikh Mansour's ownership has come so far. "We cannot compete" they and their club reps tell us.

A 12 seasons (since 2011/12) top 5 spending comparison

Gross Spend(senior teams)

1: Chelsea €2.19bn
2: Manchester City €1.82bn
3: United €1.74bn
4: Arsenal €1.27bn
5: Liverpool €1.23bn

Net Spend(including academy sales)

1: United €-1,292.36m
2: Manchester City €-1,005.191m
3: Chelsea €-991.98m
4: Arsenal €-759.33m
5: Liverpool €-449.69m

Number of Times Top Gross Spenders - In that period

1: Chelsea 6
2: Manchester City 3
3: United 2
4: Arsenal 1

Number of Times Top Net Spenders - In that period

1: Chelsea 4
1: Manchester City 4
3: United 1
4: Arsenal 1
5: Liverpool 1
6: Villa 1

Major Honours - Won in that period

1: Manchester City 15 - With one final yet to play
2: Chelsea 8
3: Liverpool 5
3: United 5
5: Arsenal 4

Net Spend Per Major Honour(lowest to highest)

1: Manchester City €67.01m per trophy or €62.82m IF they complete the treble this season
2: Liverpool €89.94 per trophy
3: Chelsea €124m per trophy
4: Arsenal €189.83m per trophy
5: United €258.47m per trophy

Edit: It just occurred to me that I haven't even thought about teams outside of the Big 6 like Leicester. If anyone else wants to work that out and add it (if it's worth it) feel free. Their story, this season, should be an example of what City fans were saying all along. The history clubs' idea of the right way, will ensure no other clubs can compete with them consistently.

I looked into this timeframe a month or so ago, so allow some margin for a slight changes in values, since it was written down according to transfermarkt.com at the time.

Gross spend(senior teams) since 2008 top 3

1: Chelsea €2.38bn - Difference to City = +€70m more
2: Manchester City €2.31bn
3: United €1.84bn - Difference to City = -€470m less

Net spend since 2008 top 3

1: Manchester City €-1,400.05m
2: United €-1,264.5m - Difference to City = -€135.55m less than City
3: Chelsea €-1,109.57m - Difference to City = -€290.48m less than City

So Chelsea already have a larger gross spend in the same period. United will likely decimate the difference in netspend in the summer transfer window. Unless City go on a big spree, which they are entitled to do, especially if they win a treble and the story that it will be worth £285m in prize money alone is accurate info(I took that at face value, we have already been saving in recent transfer windows).

Data taken at the same time as the 2008 comparison.

Gross spend(senior teams) since 1992/93 top 3

1: Chelsea €3.14bn
2: Manchester City €2.55bn
3: United €2.37bn

Net spend(including academy sales) since 1992/93 top 3

1: Chelsea €-1,557.21m - Difference to City = €14.41m more than City
2: United €-1,556.08m - Difference to City = €13.28m more than City
3: Manchester City €-1,542.8m

So Chelsea again have a bigger gross spend than City. United's is pretty close to City's. Both clubs have overtaken City's net spend in the PL era. Pretty significant IMO because City had lots of catching up to do, in a market where those two clubs had done the most inflation of any English clubs(still true today I reckon... not seen any updates from that Tomkins guy though). The point being, they'd already be way out in front of City, if the values were adjusted for inflation. Nobody seems interested in those sort of comparisons funnily enough.
Updated. Come on City!!!

The best was the announcer at Sid James' Park. At half time he announced the score from Old Toilet: Manchester U****d 1, Sunderland 2. Big Cheers all around.
At full time, he came on again: Mu 1....
Never heard the rest due to the roar of the crowd! (Already on the pitch by then, of course)
Had my first pint 0f the day at Scotch Corner on the way back. Pubs too busy before.
Missed 5 matches that season - 3 at home, 2 away. Well, I was still at school in my A level year.
You aren’t Too Old To Rock'n'Roll, Too Young To Die, are you?

;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.