Manchester City Supporters Trust - Does it exist?

It's just coming up to ten years since I became a shareholder so it might be a good time to set out the story in more detail. I did think about writing a book at one point but the audience would be very limited.

Interestingly, I joined Bluemoon around that time, largely to put across what we were doing but the reaction was largely hostile.

It would be great to have a Supporters Trust and not only to prevent the club going bust but to make fans voice heard on all matters club and fans related

I'd love to set another one up and I think there's a genuine place for them in the current climate at the club - a lot of us would like to have better representation with the higher echelons of the club. My dad was one of the original four (as PB will know). Could it be possible to have another though?

Prestwich_Blue said:
It's just coming up to ten years since I became a shareholder so it might be a good time to set out the story in more detail. I did think about writing a book at one point but the audience would be very limited.

Interestingly, I joined Bluemoon around that time, largely to put across what we were doing but the reaction was largely hostile.

Many thanks Prestwich_Blue for taking the time to write about all that went on! It covered all of what I was wondering about Support Trusts, especially the clubs attitude which I'm not suprised by one bit... sad to say.

Many thanks!

Prestwich_Blue said:

Sounds like it would be a good read PB.

Having enjoyed reading "Richer than God", it's interesting to think what differences a Supporters Trust running the Club would have meant.

Clearly, the investment from Abu Dhabi has been great - and I wouldn't change this for the world- but have we lost some passion? I recall a guy looking round at me at the Swamp for trying to sing throughout the game. Maybe I was badly out of tune!

There are loads of Supporters Trusts around. Scotland has a lot with Hearts and Rangers having 2 very successful ones. Rangers one along with Rangers First has a percentage of shares and were allocated a position on the recently reformed, again, board.

I think Bournemouth are run by their trust or something similar. A good idea and should be encouraged

Prestwich_Blue said:

You should write that story PB, your original long post was very interesting and I would love to hear more about it. Great posts.

Blue Mist said:
Damocles said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Interesting question. I first got involved when I became a shareholder in 2005 an attended my first AGM. I wasn't impressed at all by the proceedings, at which I thoughts fan shareholders were fobbed off and patronised. I was deeply unimpressed by the then CEO Alastair Mackintosh and wondered how supporters could get involved in their clubs on what you might call a political basis 9e.g. a pressure group). I came across Supporters Direct, who are the group that promote and support supporter ownership. Trusts are legally constituted bodies, where a member has one vote, regardless of how many shares they have.

Via the MEN Online forum, four of us got together to look at forming a trust. Our intention was to try to get enough shareholders together to collect a block of shares that could be used to wield some influence at board level. We started talking to key shareholders and found that many of them were unhappy with the way the club was being run. There was effectively only one executive director, which was Mackintosh.

We realised that we could get enough support from some very influential people (such as David Bernstein & Franny Lee) to force the board to appoint more directors that we would nominate (DB would have been one and we were talking to a couple of others). We had a couple of wealthy backers who were committed to the cause of fan ownership & approached Sky, who had 10% of the shares. They agreed to sell to us which then might have given us control over something like 40% of the shares allowing us to put two or three fan-appointed directors onto the board. We weren't looking for regime change, just more accountability as we were being misled over the true state of the club's finances. However when the club realised we were about 24-48 hours away from purchasing Sky's shares, they announced they were in takeover talks.

This was clearly a load of baloney but it stopped Sky selling to us temporarily. Eventually, after a few months, Ranson and then Shinawatra came in and Wardle agreed to sell to the latter. Once the shares were all in his hands, there seemed little point in carrying on so we dropped the idea. However, a year later we found out that the club were in desperate financial trouble and administration was likely. Bernstein was keen to pick up the pieces so contacted us to see if the funding was still there (which it was) and would we be prepared to get the trust back up and running. Eventually the club got a £30m loan which kept them going, although they probably wouldn't have lasted much beyond December. Fortunately ADUG came in and the rest is history.

In terms of how we were treated, it was very coolly, to put it mildly. They talked about a meeting but never agreed to any of the dates that were suggested. The club (i.e. Mackintosh) realised we were a genuine threat, due to the backing we had, whereas the OSC weren't. We did talk to the OSC to assure them we were no threat to them and I think they accepted that. I'm certainly not criticising the OSC but they have a mutually beneficial relationship with the club and don't get involved in the politics. I understand that fully.

I think they may have put private detectives on us as they seemed to know a lot about us but they made a mistake in trying to tell some of the bigger shareholders that we were of no consequence. We could show the level of support we had and we also proved to one, who was initially sceptical, that the club were lying to him. That turned him into a fervent supporter. It was amazing just how many people at and around the club didn't like Mackintosh and many of my good contacts were made in that period.

It was a stressful but fantastic time and I met some great people. Greg Dyke was chairman of supporter-owned Brentford at the time and he and his board were really helpful, as were the Trusts at Reading & Northampton. We used to hear all the time that Trusts were fine for clubs like that but would never work in the PL. We used to counter that with the fact that being fan-owned didn't seem to have hurt Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and most other Spanish and German clubs. I still firmly believe that fans are the only stakeholders who genuinely have the long term interests of their clubs at heart. Our owners certainly are far better than most in that respect but I don't like the gulf that seems to have grown between the club management and the fans over the last couple of years. Having run a fan-owned club, I'd have thought that Soriano would be a little more empathetic towards us.

Would we have had more clout than the OSC if we'd achieved our objective? Abso-fucking-lutely we would.

Properly interesting post this.

Would love to read a more detailed thing about how it all got setup, the state of City in that period and the different power players.

Wow. That has to be one of the most interesting posts I have read on here and elsewhere about my club and totally agree that I would love to read/know more.

Count me in with the above. This is a story that needs telling.

harrogateblue said:
There are loads of Supporters Trusts around. Scotland has a lot with Hearts and Rangers having 2 very successful ones. Rangers one along with Rangers First has a percentage of shares and were allocated a position on the recently reformed, again, board.

I think Bournemouth are run by their trust or something similar. A good idea and should be encouraged

Glad to hear supporters trusts have spread to the Northern Pub League!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.