Manchester City v Gillingham 2nd Division Play Off Final 1999 23 Years Today.

Also - in extra time - I have a memory of one of our players handling the ball when he was on the ground - should have been a penalty (perhaps it is just my fuzzy memory though)
That was Whitley who slid in and 100% scooped the ball up and out. Love that ref for ignoring it

Last edited:
99, 12 & 22.

Madchester finishes.

Some kind of maths shit here … 19 to 12 to 22 (13 then 10)

WTF does 29 hold?

I am expecting City to be 3 down in the UCL Final with 5 minutes to go and Haaland to score his career City total 604, 605, 606 & 607th goals to win the game and give us our 7th consecutive UCL trophy on the trot and our 7th trophy of the season. ( PL, FA,, LC, CS, ECS & WCS)

Pep turns to the camera and says “ I am sick of this rain. I am handing over to my management team of Vinny, Ilkay & Dinho. “ as he smokes a big fuck off cigar and walks off into the sunset.
The Blackburn game is borderline an addition to our ridiculous come backs. 1-0 down 29 mins to go, battered by them in the first half, they hit the woodwork 4 times, BUT……. We kept going, 3/4 of that crowd was us that day, what a memory, what a day, just fantastic. I’ve been so so lucky to have been at all these games.

I do like adding the semi v swampies which for me changed everything, that was THE day it all started to turn. Brilliant

The Blackburn game is borderline an addition to our ridiculous come backs. 1-0 down 29 mins to go, battered by them in the first half, they hit the woodwork 4 times, BUT……. We kept going, 3/4 of that crowd was us that day, what a memory, what a day, just fantastic. I’ve been so so lucky to have been at all these games.

I do like adding the semi v swampies which for me changed everything, that was THE day it all started to turn. Brilliant

That Blackburn game was peak City support. Incredible and so much happiness after the last few years.

I remember shitting myself that they were battering us, but when they hit the woodwork the 4th time I just burst out laughing, because I knew it was going to be our day.

Such a bizarre match, and after the equally bizarre playoff final win the year before, it just felt like the world was somehow righting itself by helping us back up.

I remember shitting myself that they were battering us, but when they hit the woodwork the 4th time I just burst out laughing, because I knew it was going to be our day.

Such a bizarre match, and after the equally bizarre playoff final win the year before, it just felt like the world was somehow righting itself by helping us back up.
That last sentence articulates things so well. For 20 years before that it felt like City ballsed things up on every big occasion. It's where the phrase "Typical City" came from. Whatever could go wrong did go wrong when it really mattered, and suddenly everything was turned on its head. We deserved those two incredible games more than anyone.

Found the full original broadcast

One of my favourite memories of that day, which doesn't seem to be on any of the match videos u fortunately, is of the Gillingham penalty that went wide.

With the massive open area behind the goals at the old Wembley, I just kept watching the ball sailing towards the running track and it bouncing around there while their player looked devastated and we all celebrated. Brilliant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.