Manchester City vs Liverpool pre-match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You cannot go to Anfield using tactics to gain a draw you would leave pointless we have enough firepower to ask serious questions of what is a very ordinary back 4 they are susceptible to pace and have been caught on the break more than once this season.My team would be :

hart
zab/vinny/MDM/kol
naz/fern/yaya/silva
dzeko/serge

Chippy_boy said:
Of course we expect Klanfield to be a cauldron and our players need to rise to the occasion. But that said, I think this game is won, drawn or lost depending on how Pellegrini sets us up.

If we play a high line with Vinny making tackles on the half way line as he tends to, Gerard will murder us with balls over the top to Sterling or Sturridge both of who have real pace and will cause MDM and Zabba no end of problems.

For me, we need to sit a little deeper and I'd fill the resulting gap with an extra midfield player, Garcia. I'd play a back four with Clichy for his speed and I'd have either Garcia or Fern sitting deep, probably Fern. So 4-1-4-1

This would mean we'd have to lose Navas, but honestly that's a small sacrifice for the huge gain of the extra holding midfield player and allowing Kompany and MDM to sit back a little. I still think we have more than enough firepower to get goals with Yaya, Nasri, Silva and Aguero running at them, especially with Yaya have the freedom to go forward some more. It also de-risks it a bit because we are not dependent on Yaya doing so much defending, which as we know, sometimes he can't be arsed with.

If we need to score goals later on, we could bring on Dzeko for Aguero and Jovetic for Garcia and go 4-4-2. And perhaps Navas' fresh legs for Nasri as they tire.

Liverpool are more defensive than people think. They will try to flood areas where we are likely to score goals from. We can forget about through balls and crosses, we must get Toure near their box, give the ball to him at his feet, and get him to score one of his magical goals. A repeat of his goal against Chelsea (home 2013) would be nice.

01MANC said:
It's all about Toure. If he's on his game (a la rags at home and Newcastle away in the title season) we win. If hes lethargic and gets passed around, we don't.
He's always on his game for the Biggies.

gungho-tactics said:
Chippy_boy said:
Of course we expect Klanfield to be a cauldron and our players need to rise to the occasion. But that said, I think this game is won, drawn or lost depending on how Pellegrini sets us up.

If we play a high line with Vinny making tackles on the half way line as he tends to, Gerard will murder us with balls over the top to Sterling or Sturridge both of who have real pace and will cause MDM and Zabba no end of problems.

For me, we need to sit a little deeper and I'd fill the resulting gap with an extra midfield player, Garcia. I'd play a back four with Clichy for his speed and I'd have either Garcia or Fern sitting deep, probably Fern. So 4-1-4-1

This would mean we'd have to lose Navas, but honestly that's a small sacrifice for the huge gain of the extra holding midfield player and allowing Kompany and MDM to sit back a little. I still think we have more than enough firepower to get goals with Yaya, Nasri, Silva and Aguero running at them, especially with Yaya have the freedom to go forward some more. It also de-risks it a bit because we are not dependent on Yaya doing so much defending, which as we know, sometimes he can't be arsed with.

If we need to score goals later on, we could bring on Dzeko for Aguero and Jovetic for Garcia and go 4-4-2. And perhaps Navas' fresh legs for Nasri as they tire.

Liverpool are more defensive than people think. They will try to flood areas where we are likely to score goals from. We can forget about through balls and crosses, we must get Toure near their box, give the ball to him at his feet, and get him to score one of his magical goals. A repeat of his goal against Chelsea (home 2013) would be nice.

4-1-4-1 works then, with Toure further forward.

However, I'm not remotely bothered about our ability to score at Anfield to be honest. I am much more concerned about them scoring more than we do.

It's all about our mentality imo.

Liverpool have three or four outstanding players but we have 7 or 8 and I wouldn't swap our squad for theirs.

The past few league matches we've played at Anfield we've looked scared and let them get at us from the off, consequently the home crowd up the noise and it's made things really difficult for us. We've had Joe Hart and a couple of stupid unnecessary costly mistakes from the Liverpool defence to thank as the only reasons we've even managed to achieve a point in those games.

If we let them come at us the way Southampton did in the first half on Saturday, or Arsenal did in the second half the previous week they've got that extra pace, skill and technique in those positions compared to most clubs we've faced and the ability to give us an awful time of it.

If however we manage to keep possession well and win the midfield battle it gives us an outstanding chance. What they possess in attack we also do, especially if Aguero is fit and playing.

The game is like a champions league final, and should be treated as such...but in the midst of it all we must remain calm and confident when under pressure. Any sign of weakness and Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho will be all over it with Gerrard dictating from a slightly deeper role.

Mark Clattenburg has been appointed referee for Liverpool v Manchester City on Sunday 13 April

Source: @premierleague

tonea2003 said:
BlueAnorak said:
When was the last time we won at Anfield or Godison?
winning at one is fairly rare. Winning at both is nearly as rare as rocking horse manure.
We have to go for the win. A draw lets Chelski in.

april 2009 at goodison 2-1 robinho and ireland

may 2003 at anfield 2-1 anelka 2

Everton had one eye on their FA Cup Final against Chelsea which played into our hands a bit, plus Jagielka got a nasty injury in the first half.

The win at Anfield in 2003 was impressive though because they were gunning for a Champions League spot so had a lot to play for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.