Manchester City vs Liverpool Pre Match Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I'd love to see Fernando and Fernandinho sitting ahead of Kompany and Demichelis, with Zaba and Clichy out wide. Tell Fernandinho to push up a little more than normal since Fernando can do the defensive work, have Yaya in the middle dictating everything with Silva and Nasri off him, and in all honesty I'd stick Jovetic up front because I think he's excellent and I'd love for him to get rewarded with a start in a big game after an impressive pre-season.

At the same time, I'm not sure if my line-up is a little too defensive, Fernando showed against Newcastle that he is prepared to take on so much defensive work that we might need only him as an anchor man, with Yaya just ahead, Silva and Nasri together feeding Jovetic/Aguero and Dzeko.

Regardless, without the threat of Suarez a lot of the pre-match stress has got to be reduced. I think it's a great time for us to play them, we're at home, the trophy will be there, the players pumped up and ready, it's just a shame Mangala isn't settled yet. Liverpool didn't have a great first match at all despite the result, and I think Kompany can take Sturridge out of the game.

lfcjoe said:
Liverpool fan here, I come in peace.

Expecting a tight game next Monday. Neither of our teams looked too sharp on Sunday, city looked more comfortable than we did though. Rodgers got the tactics all wrong against Southampton, he played Lucas alongside Gerrard which lead to a complete lack of mobility and control in midfield, allowing Wanyama and Schniederlein to dominate. If we start Lucas on monday we will be crucified by Yaya and co, so expect to see Allen or perhaps Emre Can to match your physicality. Our other glaring weakness on Sunday was Glen Johnson, another atrocious performance by a player who has clearly lost any ability to perform competently. He was destroyed by Clyne and I fear for what Citys attacking full backs (and perhaps Navas if he starts) could do to Johnson. That's why I hope Moreno starts left back, although the etihad is amongst the trickiest of places to give a youngster a debut anything is better than Glen Johnson. I think Lovren is a top player but I'm not convinced our defence is up to scratch to cope with your attackers. If we are to win this game I presume the goals will be from counter attacks, from Sterling and sturridge in particular and perhaps Markovic if he's handed a start. Without the added trouble of Suarez, I do fear Kompany will keep Sturridge quiet - especially since he played poorly against Saints. I would be happy with a draw from this game - while I fancy us to sneak a victory while a lot of your players aren't fully fit, its also clear that City have more big game players and that ultimately won them the league last season.

Steven Gerrard will get a torrid time from your supporters, but I guess its coming to us for all the unsporting boos from our fans at the game in April. But some of the stick he's getting is going too far, youse did win the league after all and there isn't half as much hate for city on liverpool forums as there is for us 'dippers' on here.

May the best team win on Monday, a massive game and massive pain in the arse to have to wait til Monday!
Not gonna happen friend - Sterling is your main asset and Fernando has plans for him I think!

George Hannah said:
lfcjoe said:

Expecting a tight game next Monday. Neither of our teams looked too sharp on Sunday, city looked more comfortable than we did though. Rodgers got the tactics all wrong against Southampton, he played Lucas alongside Gerrard which lead to a complete lack of mobility and control in midfield, allowing Wanyama and Schniederlein to dominate. If we start Lucas on monday we will be crucified by Yaya and co, so expect to see Allen or perhaps Emre Can to match your physicality. Our other glaring weakness on Sunday was Glen Johnson, another atrocious performance by a player who has clearly lost any ability to perform competently. He was destroyed by Clyne and I fear for what Citys attacking full backs (and perhaps Navas if he starts) could do to Johnson. That's why I hope Moreno starts left back, although the etihad is amongst the trickiest of places to give a youngster a debut anything is better than Glen Johnson. I think Lovren is a top player but I'm not convinced our defence is up to scratch to cope with your attackers. If we are to win this game I presume the goals will be from counter attacks, from Sterling and sturridge in particular and perhaps Markovic if he's handed a start. Without the added trouble of Suarez, I do fear Kompany will keep Sturridge quiet - especially since he played poorly against Saints. I would be happy with a draw from this game - while I fancy us to sneak a victory while a lot of your players aren't fully fit, its also clear that City have more big game players and that ultimately won them the league last season.

Steven Gerrard will get a torrid time from your supporters, but I guess its coming to us for all the unsporting boos from our fans at the game in April. But some of the stick he's getting is going too far, youse did win the league after all and there isn't half as much hate for city on liverpool forums as there is for us 'dippers' on here.

May the best team win on Monday, a massive game and massive pain in the arse to have to wait til Monday!
Not gonna happen friend - Sterling is your main asset and Fernando has plans for him I think!

Just on that actually, what do youse make of Fernando? How do you rate him in comparison to Fernandinho and Yaya?

lfcjoe said:
George Hannah said:
lfcjoe said:

Just on that actually, what do youse make of Fernando? How do you rate him in comparison to Fernandinho and Yaya?

Different type of central midfielder, bought to play a different role.

Yaya is a box to box player, with passing and goals, Fernandinho is of a similar style too. Fernando is a pure defensive option. If you were looking for a style comparison then think Makalele at Chelsea. Tackles, tracking men, working hard, pace, lets the more creative players get on with what they do best, create. Against the "lesser" sides ability wise I don't think Fernando is really needed, and it's these games he'll probably sit out in favour of more attack minded players, but in tight, top of the table clashes, like Mondays, I fully expect Fernando to be involved and to be nullifying the opposition.

It will be a close game and probably decided on who's fitness lasts out as both sides were blowing a bit in last week's games.Although Suarez will be missed he didn't have a fantastic scoring record against the top sides and Liverpool coped well enough without him in his banned period.

Although Rodgers is a gobshite and was a bit tactically lacking in a few games towards the end of the season he is still a good manager and it will be a tough game,though if our top players are fit and perform it is one we should win.

The animosity towards Liverpool Joe stems from our treatment in the 3-2 defeat when fans were abused and attacked after showing such respect for the 25th Hillsborough anniversary.Add on the hysterical early celebrations and cockiness before the trophy was won and Rodger's bizzare soundbites and his ''Unleash the crowd'' comments,coupled with Gerrard's huddle and speech and you can see why we aren't exactly welcoming you with open arms come Monday.

I really think we should be going three in midfield for this game as I just think we really cannot afford to drop any points against our rivals and I personally don't think we are 100% ready to be going two up top against any of last seasons top sides.

We need to be looking at getting wins at home to all our rivals and draws away from home.

I would be absolutely stunned if Pellers changes tactics for this game, I believe in his mind he would rather have the dippers worry about us than we worry about whatever threat they carry. If seems to me that the main threat from them will be the pace of Sterling and the trickery of Sturridge with again a point to prove against us. This game will be as tight as a ducks arse, but I am hoping we get the three points needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.