Manchester City Women (merged)

Re: Manchester City Ladies - Toni Duggan {merged}

johnnytapia said:
Gaylord du Bois said:
I wish them well but women's football won't ever have me stocking my fridge with ale.

You and thousands of others. Because women's football is utter shite - if it were anything other, folk would want to go and watch it. They don't.

If City Ladies win/lose/draw/never play again, it would barely register a murmur.

If people want to play the tired "it's City for fuck's sake" card, then let them. It's City in name only. It isn't football. And us signing Toni Duggan / anyone else from the world of female football "stars" won't change that. Ever.

Calling folk who hold this opinion sexist/ant-City/unfair is all so predictable. Just like women's football.

Do you not look at yourself and wonder why you're such an oddball? LOL

You spat your dummy in this thread because someone said a female player was a top player, in a thread about women''s football.

You're a fecking weirdo, if you don't want to watch it no one's forcing you but being so desperate to come into a thread and slag everything off is truly bizarre behaviour.

Berkovic_blue said:
johnnytapia said:
Gaylord du Bois said:
I wish them well but women's football won't ever have me stocking my fridge with ale.

You and thousands of others. Because women's football is utter shite - if it were anything other, folk would want to go and watch it. They don't.

If City Ladies win/lose/draw/never play again, it would barely register a murmur.

If people want to play the tired "it's City for fuck's sake" card, then let them. It's City in name only. It isn't football. And us signing Toni Duggan / anyone else from the world of female football "stars" won't change that. Ever.

Calling folk who hold this opinion sexist/ant-City/unfair is all so predictable. Just like women's football.

Do you not look at yourself and wonder why you're such an oddball? LOL

You spat your dummy in this thread because someone said a female player was a top player, in a thread about women''s football.

You're a fecking weirdo, if you don't want to watch it no one's forcing you but being so desperate to come into a thread and slag everything off is truly bizarre behaviour.

This ... and very well said too.

johnnytapia said:
If people want to play the tired "it's City for fuck's sake" card, then let them. It's City in name only. It isn't football.
You know what, I'm pretty sure it is.

For someone who apparently wouldn't even open their curtains to watch these women play, you seem to have plenty to say about them.

People spend an awful lot of time and energy making sure everyone knows just how little they care about something.

The problem with women's sport is that it just isn't shown on TV unless it's tennis. People's opinion of female sport won't change until there's proper coverage. And even then it would take time.

willy eckerslike said:
The problem with women's sport is that it just isn't shown on TV unless it's tennis. People's opinion of female sport won't change until there's proper coverage. And even then it would take time.

True, to some degree.

Eurosport shows Women's football from international level u17 upwards, in tournaments.

BT Sport has recently been covering the national league and cup games.

Bigga said:
willy eckerslike said:

True, to some degree.

Eurosport shows Women's football from international level u17 upwards, in tournaments.

Most male sports had decades of free coverage, but obviously things have changed media-wise. Still, the government should be intervening. Eg Why was there no coverage of the English Ashes win last time round? Even struggle to find anything on Sky.

The BBC did cover the women's darts final which is something, and having male/female tournaments running side-by-side is a good idea.

One problem I see with some ladies team sports is that they just don't work well, and to me football falls into that category. The pitch just looks too big, maybe they need to experiment with new formats to avoid constant comparison with established male versions, 7-a-side perhaps on a smaller pitch and smaller nets. Tennis has a different format in the major tournaments, and it's worked well for years.

willy eckerslike said:
Bigga said:
willy eckerslike said:

True, to some degree.

Most male sports had decades of free coverage, but obviously things have changed media-wise. Still, the government should be intervening. Eg Why was there no coverage of the English Ashes win last time round? Even struggle to find anything on Sky.

The BBC did cover the women's darts final which is something, and having male/female tournaments running side-by-side is a good idea.

One problem I see with some ladies team sports is that they just don't work well, and to me football falls into that category. The pitch just looks too big, maybe they need to experiment with new formats to avoid constant comparison with established male versions, 7-a-side perhaps on a smaller pitch and smaller nets. Tennis has a different format in the major tournaments, and it's worked well for years.

I would actually be inclined to agree about shrinking the size of the game, to suit the female ability, at this current stage in development. Whilst the skill factor is there on a decent level, the general stamina it takes to be about the pitch, for 90 mins on a full sized pitch, is different for women.

The playing time shouldn't alter, but the changing the size of the pitch and nets will produce better quality, all round.

For example, we have the biggest pitch in all the FA division(something like 110 x 90/ 93, I think) whilst 100 x 66 yards is Crewe Alexandra's ground, the smallest. I would probably go 5 yards smaller to keep the quality of the women's game, in tact and improve it.

The reason being is it would equalise the gulf between the women that have been playing for years and the ones that have just been given backing. That includes internationals, for me.

Just my opinion on a developing game.

Bigga said:
willy eckerslike said:
Bigga said:
True, to some degree.

I would actually be inclined to agree about shrinking the size of the game, to suit the female ability, at this current stage in development. Whilst the skill factor is there on a decent level, the general stamina it takes to be about the pitch, for 90 mins on a full sized pitch, is different for women.

The playing time shouldn't alter, but the changing the size of the pitch and nets will produce better quality, all round.

For example, we have the biggest pitch in all the FA division(something like 110 x 90/ 93, I think) whilst 100 x 66 yards is Crewe Alexandra's ground, the smallest. I would probably go 5 yards smaller to keep the quality of the women's game, in tact and improve it.

The reason being is it would equalise the gulf between the women that have been playing for years and the ones that have just been given backing. That includes internationals, for me.

Just my opinion on a developing game.

They don't need to alter anything, stamina comes through training, and training comes through funding. All the women's game needs to improve the standard is funding.

There was a programme on Radio 4 not so long back, the basic premiss was that the game had been very popular in the early parts of the last century, attracting huge crowds for some games, however the FA at the time conspired to have it stopped because they did not see it as a proper thing for women to do

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.