Manchester City Women (merged)

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
One thing bemuses me over this season. I don't recall one single female referee at home. Did we get an away match refereed by one of the women refs?

You raise an interesting point. We had at least four female refs this season, but all of them officiated away games, never at home.

waspish said:
Do you think woman's football will take of and become popular? I just can't be bothered with it at the moment, I've probably watched around 5 mins in total of any women's football it just doesn't get me excited..

Yep, five minutes sounds like long enough to make a decision in...

I think the issue you've got is that you're coming into the games saying "alright, entertain me" without any sort of emotional attachment to a team. IMO you can only do that if you watch the highest level of the game. I occasionally go to see my local non-league side purely for the kicks, and I feel just a small emotional connection with them because they are my home town team, but if I'm honest a lot of the games are dull as bricks and I only go out of a lingering curiosity that the team might actually do something half noteworthy that game. If I try watching another sport, I similarly can watch it out of mild curiosity but honestly I just can't connect with it because I don't care who the players are or who wins.

This is the issue, I think - especially in the UK where, unlike places such as the US, we are culturally "trained" to only watch one team in one sport and to reject all others, rather than watching as many sports and competitions as we can. If you just go in saying "alright women's football - win me over" you are going to be disappointed because it's blatantly obvious that the state of the women's game cannot be compared to the standard of men's football you are used to, so it's only ever going to seem like a poor imitation to you. If you, on the other hand, went into it by persuading yourself that you were there because you want to watch in the long term to see MCWFC progress from the newbies on the block to be a national and continental powerhouse, and you want to see them win their first trophy, and you want to see women's football every year seem that bit more polished than it was last time, then you might just find that you connect with it because you will have a reason to form a bond. Without that bond, it's just going to be another thing that isn't as good as watching the men's team.

I was at the game yesterday and thought that it was a brilliant match with so much spirit from the City women. They thoroughly deserved the win and it was appropriate that they should have their largest league crowd of the season 1,292 there (and largest attendance by the team at the Regional stadium).

The way the game has come on since the first women's game in 1988 at Boundary Park (I was one of about 20 City fans there - all related in some way to the players) at City is incredible and let's hope this week sees the club's first major trophy. I think it's poor that the CC Cup final is at Wycombe - it's against Arsenal and so either a venue midway between the 2 or even staging it at one of the 2 clubs would have been a better idea.

Good luck to the women and I look forward to the team's move to their new home next season - let's try and fill it!

Credit where it's due - one hell of a strike from Duggan, first class technique, I'd have been proud to score one like that.

Out of interest, does anyone know if Nick Cushing is French?

Reflecting on Abbie McManus' second half sending-off, the City boss admitted he is unsure of what went on but will review the incident before making a decision.

"I'll be really honest: I didn't see any of it," he revealed. "I didn't even see the red card! I heard someone on the bench shouting about it.

"I've spoken to Abbie. She's really disappointed and she doesn't feel her actions warranted a red card but until I've seen it, I can't really comment either way."

SSSSTTTTTTTRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKKKKKKKEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW9Mi4SKECg[/video]

GGGGGOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLL!

Aha!

Chris in London said:

Reflecting on Abbie McManus' second half sending-off, the City boss admitted he is unsure of what went on but will review the incident before making a decision.

"I'll be really honest: I didn't see any of it," he revealed. "I didn't even see the red card! I heard someone on the bench shouting about it.

"I've spoken to Abbie. She's really disappointed and she doesn't feel her actions warranted a red card but until I've seen it, I can't really comment either way."

There's a slight resemblance to a well-loved and quite often trophyless favourite son from Strasbourg.

dobobobo said:

Aha!

At any level of football anywhere in the world of any sex or any nationality that finish is absolute genius.

The technique is just world class

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Chris in London said:

There's a slight resemblance to a well-loved and quite often trophyless favourite son from Strasbourg.

Is there an option to appeal against it so she can play in the final while they deliberate? If so we should take it.I really don't think it was an intentional elbow in the face even though it might have looked like it to the ref.. Abbie has done very well since she got back into the team and it would be cruel if she couldnt play but I guess that's life.

Goal of the season by Duggan, even better than any from any of the mens games thus far.

Good Luck v Arsenal in the League Cup Final (equivalent) and lets hope next season the women can challenge for the Title and the FA Cup and regularly get good support at the new "Minihad".

dobobobo said:

Aha!
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3P7j8zEw0I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3P7j8zEw0I</a>
Must be something about playing against Chelsea and scoring great goals !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.