Manchester Low Emission Zone

This has been a great source of worry and anxiety for me, as a sole trader im not in a position to just go and buy a newer van.
my 6 year old van that has only 70k on the clock, passes its emissions test each year , was supposed to last me approx 6 more years and then as part of a business plan i would replace with newer. For that reason alone, air will always get cleaner as older vans are replaced by newer.
It was always a tax on the working class. I dont drive a 6 year old van because i want to, its because i can afford only too.
Big business’s have leasing contracts etc so would replace every 3 years anyway!

it was always a money grab my burnham and the ten councils. Did you know wigan, oldham and rochdale werent even included in the order to improve air? They just fancied a cut of the pie. Greed.

im glad the cameras will be put to good use now as ANPR cameras. It will help fight epidemic of vehicle theft thats going on in and around mcr.

burnham is doing what scousers do, blaming everyone else!! It was his and the councils idea on how to tackle it, and now hes claiming to be a hero.
anyone that votes for the career politician slime ball at the next elections wants shaming

anyway. Thats my rant. An always ridiculous , unworkable, unfair idea and hopefully now i can sleep.
Top ranting there.

Sheffields kicks in today. Pretty much confined to City Centre ish.

Manchester will follow. Hopefully manchester will also confine to city centre too rather than the frankly ridiculous proposal by burnam last time to include the WHOLE of GMR , including errr pollution hotspots like woodford, delph, etc.

Its always going to be a tax on the working man but if the the area is tightened up, as most cities have done, it would be easier to stomach, and as a sole trader who drivers a van, easier to budget for

This wouldn't happen in France. They'd destroy the cameras and burn down the council offices.

Apparently not.

France has low emission zones in Paris, Grenoble, Chambrey, Lille, Lyon, Marseille, Nancy, Etienne, Montpellier, Reims, Rouen, Strasbourg and Toulouse.

Zero emission zones in Paris and Greater Paris.

Makes sense given this is/was an EU driven idea.

Last edited:
This has been a great source of worry and anxiety for me, as a sole trader im not in a position to just go and buy a newer van.
my 6 year old van that has only 70k on the clock, passes its emissions test each year , was supposed to last me approx 6 more years and then as part of a business plan i would replace with newer. For that reason alone, air will always get cleaner as older vans are replaced by newer.
It was always a tax on the working class. I dont drive a 6 year old van because i want to, its because i can afford only too.
Big business’s have leasing contracts etc so would replace every 3 years anyway!

it was always a money grab my burnham and the ten councils. Did you know wigan, oldham and rochdale werent even included in the order to improve air? They just fancied a cut of the pie. Greed.

im glad the cameras will be put to good use now as ANPR cameras. It will help fight epidemic of vehicle theft thats going on in and around mcr.

burnham is doing what scousers do, blaming everyone else!! It was his and the councils idea on how to tackle it, and now hes claiming to be a hero.
anyone that votes for the career politician slime ball at the next elections wants shaming

anyway. Thats my rant. An always ridiculous , unworkable, unfair idea and hopefully now i can sleep.
I always thought this was a good idea but people who use vehicles for employment should have been the ones who were exempt and it should have been normal drivers who were charged for this.

Normal drivers don’t really all need to use their car to get about or get to work. There is a healthy percentage of them who could take up walking, cycling, using public transport or car sharing to get to work or the shops.

A joiner isn’t going to be able to take his van full of tools on the bus is he? So I always thought it was stupid to be charging these kind of workers who have to use their cars/vans for work.

Long term, have them buy different engine’d cars/vans once the one they had coke to its end, but I thought the idea of the charge was all the wrong way around.

I always thought this was a good idea but people who use vehicles for employment should have been the ones who were exempt and it should have been normal drivers who were charged for this.

Normal drivers don’t really all need to use their car to get about or get to work. There is a healthy percentage of them who could take up walking, cycling, using public transport or car sharing to get to work or the shops.

A joiner isn’t going to be able to take his van full of tools on the bus is he? So I always thought it was stupid to be charging these kind of workers who have to use their cars/vans for work.

Long term, have them buy different engine’d cars/vans once the one they had coke to its end, but I thought the idea of the charge was all the wrong way around.
It was always just a tax on the working man/women. And anyone thinking it doesnt affect them are VERY wrong because all us working lads would be sticking their prices up

As you say, eventually, older vans get replaced by newer vans anyway.

Burnham was a prick all the way through it blaming everyone but himself (scouser?) for the fiasco.

Itll come in again but im hoping with the current cost of living crisis he will think very carefully about how its implemented

And yet, we are now told that it isn't emissions from the exhaust that are the problem. Minute particles from tyres and brakes cause more pollution. The government have today launched a working party to look into it.

In other words, like ULEZ, it's just another tax on the normal bloke......(and the other lot)

The new proposal has been announced this morning (with hardly any fanfare).

Kep points:

• No charges for any vehicles
  • £51mil for new electric busses
  • £30mil for a new 'clean taxi' fund
  • £5mil for road upgrades (focusing on regent rd and quay st)
  • Cameras to stay to enhance public safety (will be used by the police and for ANPR purposes)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.