Manchester to Newcastle - Train cancellations on Sunday

Could you tell us a bit more about that? I've got the wind up because I was only vaguely aware of train strike troubles — not being a U.K. resident — and when I logged into the Avanti site today to get a gander at train prices up from Euston and back for the rags game 2 October I saw that nothing's being announced, and that you can't buy advance tickets. I know it's a long way ahead, and things might be resolved.
What's the alternative, then? Could you explain it? PM me if you like, but it might be useful info for others having to train up from London for the day.
I caught the 1002 from St Pancras arriving Sheffield 1158 ( East Midlands Railway) and 1241 from Sheffield arriving Manchester Piccadilly 1337 (Transpennine Express). Return was 1742 Piccadilly arriving Sheffield 1836, 1901 from Sheffield arriving St Pancras 2108. Cost £74 with Senior Railcard so would be about £110 without (off peak return so cheaper advance tickets might be possible)
Haven’t checked out the derby weekend yet as I’m not convinced it’ll stay on the Sunday if we have a Tuesday Champs League game

I caught the 1002 from St Pancras arriving Sheffield 1158 ( East Midlands Railway) and 1241 from Sheffield arriving Manchester Piccadilly 1337 (Transpennine Express). Return was 1742 Piccadilly arriving Sheffield 1836, 1901 from Sheffield arriving St Pancras 2108. Cost £74 with Senior Railcard so would be about £110 without (off peak return so cheaper advance tickets might be possible)
Haven’t checked out the derby weekend yet as I’m not convinced it’ll stay on the Sunday if we have a Tuesday Champs League game

Cheers for all that info. Yes, I've got a Senior Card. Interestingly, just sniffing around to get an idea, the cheapest returns I found on Avanti for certain days this month and next were £64. It's not massively expensive if you can be flexible with your hours. It does jump up seriously though if you can't.
Do you think the derby might go back to the Saturday then? God it's a drag not knowing in advance. Coming over from continental Europe, I have to plan these things out way ahead. But often I can't.

Having done some searching, it's not that deep (as it stands). Only directs from manchester to Newcastle are affected.

The trains that were going going from Victoria are still running but they're only going as far as York. There are then trains running from York to Newcastle.

9.22 Victoria to York 11.05
9.27 Piccadilly to York 11.36
10.06 Victoria to York 12.03
10.30 Piccadilly to York 12.36

11.08 York to Newcastle
11.31 York to Newcastle
12.31 York to Newcastle
13.31 York to Newcastle
There's going to be 250,000 blues at York again!!

Could you tell us a bit more about that? I've got the wind up because I was only vaguely aware of train strike troubles — not being a U.K. resident — and when I logged into the Avanti site today to get a gander at train prices up from Euston and back for the rags game 2 October I saw that nothing's being announced, and that you can't buy advance tickets. I know it's a long way ahead, and things might be resolved.
What's the alternative, then? Could you explain it? PM me if you like, but it might be useful info for others having to train up from London for the day.
Well, the rags game might be 1st October...

If it is 2 pm on 2nd October then it's £36.30 return. 0752 Euston to Northampton, 0930 Northampton to Crewe (both West Midlands Trains), then 1124 Crewe to Piccadilly arr 1207 (transport for Wales train).

Ticket is
London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly
Super Off-Peak Return (OPR) - only on those companies' trains but you can buy it anytime including on the day.

Back 1830 TfW Piccadilly to Crewe then 1933 (West Midlands) Crewe to Euston arr 2158.

Or even 1730 from Piccadilly and 1816 Crewe to Euston arr 2032 (not advertised as it's only a 7 minute connection at Crewe).

Only works on a Sunday as the ticket has time restrictions Monday to Saturday

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.