Mancini now has to deliver...

Marvin said:
Bluemoon115 said:
...in other competitions.

He decided the Carling Cup should not be one of our main priorities. I disagree with that (well, I'm rather furious), but I'll get over that. Hopefully...

Call it reserves, youth team, 5 aside tea, pub team or whatever, they played for Manchester City's first team. Some did well, others, less so, but back onto the point.

If we now go on to finish 4th, and have a good run in the EL/FA Cup, then this will be written off, forgiven and forgotten. A learning curve for the youngsters, while Mancini delivered in other areas. However, should we fail to finish in the Champions League spots again, an slide out of the other Cup competitions, then this will have been a complete and utter fuck up.

The fact is, the impact of tonight's loss will only be discovered at the end of the season. It may have been collateral damage in a fantastic season, or a sign of things to come. Neither argument can be proven just yet, well, except maybe on Bluemoon.

There's my rant. Well done City. Well FUCKING done.
Arsenal and Wenger does this every year. Ancellotti done it tonight

maybe with a clean bill of health we could have played Bridge, Adebayor and players like that who would have been good enough to give us a good chance of winning - but they weren't.

It's very difficult to beat a Premiership club away from home in the League Cup, play in the Europa League and the Premiership every week with a squad that is hit hard with injuries.

You could argue that we could have started with Silva, but I don't have an issue with the squad selection. Just disappointed we lost. At least the kids benefitted and we haven't lost too much in terms of injuries or confidence

We'll probably get beat on Saturday as well. But for me Mancini made the right decision

Bollocks. There has to be balance. Sure, this cup isn't our priority, but equally, it's not something to be thrown away because we're playing Chelsea on Saturday. 3 points is all we can get out of that match. So had Mancini had any intention of taking this cup seriously at any point then he'd have played a better team tonight. We'd have gone through - maybe we'd have lost as a result on Saturday, but we'd still be in the cup. Come the next round of that cup, most of our long term injuries would have cleared up, and we'd be back to having a squad big enough to cope with the various competitions we're in...

The fact is that the guy just doesn't take risks. There's no clearer way of expressing it. He's totally and utterly adverse to risk.

Bluemoon115 said:

He decided the Carling Cup should not be one of our main priorities. I disagree with that (well, I'm rather furious), but I'll get over that. Hopefully...

Call it reserves, youth team, 5 aside tea, pub team or whatever, they played for Manchester City's first team. Some did well, others, less so, but back onto the point.

If we now go on to finish 4th, and have a good run in the EL/FA Cup, then this will be written off, forgiven and forgotten. A learning curve for the youngsters, while Mancini delivered in other areas. However, should we fail to finish in the Champions League spots again, an slide out of the other Cup competitions, then this will have been a complete and utter fuck up.

The fact is, the impact of tonight's loss will only be discovered at the end of the season. It may have been collateral damage in a fantastic season, or a sign of things to come. Neither argument can be proven just yet, well, except maybe on Bluemoon.

To you and others maybe winning the Carling Cup is more important than getting 4th in the leauge but with the injuries we've got at the moment especially in defence theres no way we can keep playing 3 games a week with the same players especially when you consider the amount of football they've played over the past year or so as most have been at the World Cup. To Mancini though i suspect he's been given targets at the start of the season from the board and i reckon the Carling Cup was probably not even mentioned to him, whereas finishing in the top four and progressing well in europe more than likely was so he had to make a choice and that choice was to rest a lot of players tonight in the Carling Cup.

It might not please any of us as we want to win every game and want to win every cup but you've got to understand the kind of pressure Mancini is under to deliver a top four finish, not just for the sake of the board but for the sake of top players we've got who want to play in the Champions Leauge and are probably not that bothered about the Carling Cup

With Kolarov, Boateng, Bridge and Lescott out was it really worth starting any of the defenders tonight in a competition that isn't that highly regarded by most people within football ahead of a game against a Chelsea team who have won 5 out of 5?

oakiecokie said:
Have a look at all the PL teams over the last two nights !!
Is there ANY team that has played more than 6 REGULAR players in this shit competition ?? How many attendances have dropped alarmingly ??
Sorry but for me,I`m disappointed but not SUCICIDAL,unlike some of you.
Priorites have to be given to Chelsea and Juventus games,so lets put things into perspective.
I`ll sleep tonight knowing that we will have a very good squad available for Saturday first.

Surely this match was more important than the Juve one, as that is just one of 6 group games and we're already top of the group by 2 points

Failsworth_Blue said:
Bluemoon115 said:

To you and others maybe winning the Carling Cup is more important than getting 4th in the leauge but with the injuries we've got at the moment especially in defence theres no way we can keep playing 3 games a week with the same players especially when you consider the amount of football they've played over the past year or so as most have been at the World Cup. To Mancini though i suspect he's been given targets at the start of the season from the board and i reckon the Carling Cup was probably not even mentioned to him, whereas finishing in the top four and progressing well in europe more than likely was so he had to make a choice and that choice was to rest a lot of players tonight in the Carling Cup.

It might not please any of us as we want to win every game and want to win every cup but you've got to understand the kind of pressure Mancini is under to deliver a top four finish, not just for the sake of the board but for the sake of top players we've got who want to play in the Champions Leauge and are probably not that bothered about the Carling Cup

With Kolarov, Boateng, Bridge and Lescott out was it really worth starting any of the defenders tonight in a competition that isn't that highly regarded by most people within football ahead of a game against a Chelsea team who have won 5 out of 5?
I didn't say it was more important than those options, I said he has made his decision, so now MUST deliver those other options. I'll only be bothered about not winning this if we come away from this season with sod all (and I do consider 4th an achievement for us right now).

Finish 4th or win another Cup, and tonight will become nothing more than a bad dream.

Bluemoon115 said:
Failsworth_Blue said:

I didn't say it was more important than those options, I said he has made his decision, so now MUST deliver those other options. I'll only be bothered about not winning this if we come away from this season with sod all (and I do consider 4th an achievement for us right now).

Finish 4th or win another Cup, and tonight will become nothing more than a bad dream.

Surely you always knew this was going to be the case though especially with the amount of injuries we've got? I'm extremely disappointed tonight to have gone out of the cup as i want to win every game but i can understand the team selection from Mancini considering how stretched we are with regards to first team defenders

Failsworth_Blue said:
Bluemoon115 said:

Surely you always knew this was going to be the case though especially with the amount of injuries we've got? I'm extremely disappointed tonight to have gone out of the cup as i want to win every game but i can understand the team selection from Mancini considering how stretched we are with regards to first team defenders
I expected it, but I don't agree with it.

And yes, we have a job lot of defenders out, but we had Silva who needs games, SWP etc, so we could have had better attack from the off.

But, it's Mancini's decision, his job, and his neck.

I actually don't care, well i do a bit, but not very much.

We had a nice run to the semi's last season, but we didn't have the European matches last season.

For me the Carling cup is the least important, by some way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.