Mancini or Pep era?

Managers don’t lose the dressing room because they aren’t given more world class players. They lose the dressing room because the players they have don’t believe in them. I think for the rest we’ll have to agree to disagree !
Agree.

Mancini's people skills were terrible - leading to needless conflicts.
And yet... if the manager isn't supported from above... it's extremely hard to succeed.

Under these conditions, Mancini failed. Pellers failed. Even Ancelotti - who seems to do an amazing job where ever he goes - maybe even Ancelotti would have failed as interim caretaker after Mancini left the club.

That's true insofar as it goes. But why did he lose the dressing room? Two reasons:
1) Mancini's people skills aren't great;
2) Management failed to back him.
===
It's a credit to Pep that he cleared up this bullshit player rebellion just as soon as he became manager - Peller's too lost the team in two short years mostly because of reason 2.

Can you explain how #2 is responsible at all for losing the dressing room?

>> Can you explain how #2 is responsible at all for losing the dressing room?
You've a team full of talented, egos. All of whom want their way. At times, as a manager, you'll need to take actions not to their liking. WIth fantastic managerial skills - e.g. Ancelotti - maybe you can pull this off without triggering some sort of retaliatory reaction. With lesser people skills - having the backing of management - i.e., that whatever the manager says is final - has enormous weight. It keeps player in line.

I think that Pellegrini, by in large, had far better interpersonal skills than Mancini. Yet he too lost the dressing room soon after his first season ended. Mainly, IMO, because management obviously didn't back him, players knew this, and soon lost interest in what the manager was trying to do.

That's true insofar as it goes. But why did he lose the dressing room? Two reasons:
1) Mancini's people skills aren't great;
2) Management failed to back him.
===
It's a credit to Pep that he cleared up this bullshit player rebellion just as soon as he became manager - Peller's too lost the team in two short years mostly because of reason 2.
He's lost every dressing room he ever had and subsequently every job he ever had, which is why he's in international management where you don't work with players day to day. It's the perfect place for him .

He would have been sacked 12 month before he was if Aguero hasn't scored because he'd already lost ours then.

Loved Mancini, but his problems were often entirely of his own making. It's pretty well known that he lost the dressing room simply because he was so cold to everyone. If players wanted to talk to him, they had to talk through his assistant! He barely looked at them. Will forever be grateful for what he brought us, but his side doesn't lay a hand on this Pep one. This Pep era has produced our greatest ever side bar absolutely none. Might even be the greatest ever individual English side. It's that good.

two great managers who had the qualities at the right time for the club, mancini although a tough fucker with the players brought that aggression needed to make the club what it is, pep has taken us to a new level or even up 3 levels, im glad it was mancini then pep instead of the other way round.

pep is so good , he is IN-CRE-IBLE, BUT GREAT CREDIT GOES TO THOSE ABOVE (oops) they have planned this all along, and i would love for pep to extend again, he's our manager and i want him to be our manager forever ,or until he stops being IN-CRED-IBLE

he's our manager and i want him to be our manager forever ,or until he stops being IN-CRED-IBLE
Me too. But for Pep, it's down to his drive to continue (it's exhausting to manage) and perhaps more importantly, down to whether or not he feels that he's improving the team. If his side is not improving noticeably year upon year then he'll move on.

This philosophy of Pep's - uncommon or perhaps unique among top managers - has been well documented.

two great managers who had the qualities at the right time for the club, mancini although a tough fucker with the players brought that aggression needed to make the club what it is, pep has taken us to a new level or even up 3 levels, im glad it was mancini then pep instead of the other way round.

pep is so good , he is IN-CRE-IBLE, BUT GREAT CREDIT GOES TO THOSE ABOVE (oops) they have planned this all along, and i would love for pep to extend again, he's our manager and i want him to be our manager forever ,or until he stops being IN-CRED-IBLE
Agreed mate, and I think the appointment of Pellegrini as a transitional manager was a very very well thought out one, not daft these lot are they ;-).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.