Mancini plays (proper) football

Mancini said he would take a 1-0 win everygame, some people moaned....

Win everygame = win the league
1-0 = clean sheet every game

just his way of football, doesn't mean we won't go out and hammer teams.

he sured the back 4 up in a month, with more time he'll have it rock solid, mancini is the man.

Braggster said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Safety first Italian football will not succeed in the PRemier League. It's too high tempo, too aggressive.
I think that's one of those things that get repeated so often everyone think's they're true, but I am not so sure.

How else can you explain José's championship winning sides? Off the top of my head one of them only scored 75 or so goals, with many 1-0s, conceding only 15, and they were the by-word in defensive solidity and being boringly obsessed with tactical discipline.

75 goals really isn't a lot for the champions so I can't accept that you have to have a really attacking mentality to win the league here.
In 2004/5, when they first won the title under Mourinho, they scored 72, which was the second highest after Arsenal's 87 and 14 more than the rags (who were third highest) managed. They conceded 15, 11 less than the rags.

In 2005/6 Chelsea were joint highest scorers (with the rags) on 72 goals. They conceded 22, 3 less than the next best (Liverpool).

Didsbury Dave said:
I hope to god he has learnt from his first season. Safety first Italian football will not succeed in the PRemier League. It's too high tempo, too aggressive.

Mourinho, who is arguably 'more Italian' in terms of tactics than Mancini, hardly failed in England.

That's not an endorsement of boring football. I do not want to watch that style, although I could hack it for one season as long as we won something.

Didsbury Dave said:
deJong_Ones said:
i just hope he's been at the English phrasebook over summer. Like Capello, i think an inability to speak the language comfortably is a massive failing in a manager. If he wants to get his message across, and motivate the players with the fiery personality we know he has, then he needs to be far better than last season

I agree totally with this. This is why most foreign managers fail in England.

"most foreign managers fail" is a bit of a reach, considering that we have yet to have had a single English winner of the Premier League.

It's all about defense. The teams that win do it with defense. Inter won with defense. Germany is winning with a brick wall in front of goal but not necessarily using negative tactics like Inter.

I want us to play like Germany.

scorer said:
Just read a comment on the transfer thread by DeNiro, a much respected friend and mod....

To suggest Mancini is not playing proper football is just plain wrong and this view and approach underpins the reasons why England were so shit at the world cup this year.

That is everything what is wrong with the game today.

What Mancini is trying to do is play posession football, always asking the team to work and give the man on the ball an easy "out" and not to pass three times and then just punt the ball upfield more in hope than expectation.

England were embarassing at the World Cup as is the majority of (so called) football that is played in the Prem (Arsenal, and soon to be us, excepted).

We are going to have to be patient, but under Mancini success will come!!
We are going to have to be patient
As long as it takes eh!

Breadsnapper said:
I can't believe that a manager who buys Adam Johnson is going to be intent on playing dour football.
Look at the players he is buying now. All very capable of going forward, Toure did it at Barca, Silva at Valencia nd Boatang has recently been doing it for Germany. We need an attacking force but we also need a strong defence. I for one think he is getting the balance sorted out.

The only problem with that statement is that AJ wasn't a Mancini buy. He was pursued and ultimately acquired by Brian Marwood. Same thing with Yaya Toure, he was a long time target, prior to Bobby coming here.

That being said, I think he'll be aiming to use a 4-1-2-1-2 or 4-2-3-1 formation which should allow the more creative players to move forward. Problem is that this formation requires some really good fullbacks which we don't have at the moment. I'm not sure Boateng will be a first choice right away. Boateng has even stated that Mancini figured it would take him several months to adjust to playing in the premier league.<br /><br />-- Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:36 pm --<br /><br />
cibaman said:
The problem last season was that Mancini was trying to grind out 1-0 results with a team that wasnt really capable of doing that. If a manager goes down that route he has to succeed, fans will tolerate dull football but only if it produces results.

Mancini was criticised for packing the midfield with defensive midfield players but in reality he didnt have a lot of choice. The signings so far, particularly Silva, and those in the pipeline should allow us to play effectively the way Mancini wants to.

Can't say I agree with this line, and especially in the premier league. Unless we actually win the league playing boring defensive football you are always going to have people who will call this stuff crap. If Mancini resorts to this type of play with the squad at his disposal next season, I'm sure the questions about his suitability as manager will only increase.

It reminds me of the New Jersey Devils in the NHL who won a few Stanley Cups playing the "Neutral Zone" trap and were accussed of ruining the sport for everyone else. The hockey was so dull and boring that even the league threatened to outlaw it's use.

Mancini is like Mourinho. they wants to win.

Who wants to see a show and have fun have to go to the circus.

Prestwich_Blue said:
In 2004/5, when they first won the title under Mourinho, they scored 72, which was the second highest after Arsenal's 87 and 14 more than the rags (who were third highest) managed. They conceded 15, 11 less than the rags.

In 2005/6 Chelsea were joint highest scorers (with the rags) on 72 goals. They conceded 22, 3 less than the next best (Liverpool).

Under Mancini we scored 41 from 21, over the course of the season that works out between 74 and 75 goals.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.