Mancini tactical genius

blueshortshorts

been watching football for 40 years, but what Mancini did today was, for me, one of the most disticntive displays of managers tactics changing the whole flow of the game.

I was getting frustrated with us playing through the middle, and it not coming off for us, and was, like a lot of people around me, hoping for the obvious sinclair/dzecko switch..i.e chuck on a winger and sling crosses into the big fellah.

Mancini confused me by playing instead with 4 fullbacks (maicon/zaba/clichy and kolarov)..but it created a vacuum in the middle of the park, which allowed Silva and Yaya to play.

I didn't even appreciate what he'd done until I was driving home and reflecting on it..i must admit i thought the space in the center of the park in the last 20 mins was due to the game getting stretched naturally..but it was Mancini who made that happen...leaving it up to the players to exploit it.

credit where it is due..Mancini changed the game, and the players did their job.

I love this new CIty!!!

What he did was go to his three at the back, with Maicon and kolorov as the wing backs. It gave us some width, stretched spurs, opened up some space in the middle. 3 at the back is a gamble, especially with players like bale and Lennon who can punish you on the break. On this occasion it worked very well and the manager deserves credit for that.

Well I thought he just made the subs coz Carlos Sergio and nasty were knackered
What do I know lol

blueshortshorts said:
been watching football for 40 years, but what Mancini did today was, for me, one of the most disticntive displays of managers tactics changing the whole flow of the game.

I was getting frustrated with us playing through the middle, and it not coming off for us, and was, like a lot of people around me, hoping for the obvious sinclair/dzecko switch..i.e chuck on a winger and sling crosses into the big fellah.

Mancini confused me by playing instead with 4 fullbacks (maicon/zaba/clichy and kolarov)..but it created a vacuum in the middle of the park, which allowed Silva and Yaya to play.

I didn't even appreciate what he'd done until I was driving home and reflecting on it..i must admit i thought the space in the center of the park in the last 20 mins was due to the game getting stretched naturally..but it was Mancini who made that happen...leaving it up to the players to exploit it.

credit where it is due..Mancini changed the game, and the players did their job.

I love this new CIty!!!

agreed, we miss the aj option i'd love to see us play with a couple of pacy wingers

The big difference with the 3 at the back today compared to earlier games was the personnel brought on to influence the change ie Maicon, he followed Mancinis instruction to the letter and showed he understands what the manager wants from this formation, it's the 1st time a player brought on in this role has actually stayed out wide and got chalk on his boots even when it was on the left with Kolorov he remained out wide on the right resisting the temptation to come over and tuck in a bit, meaning the game gets stretched allowing Silva etc more space to play,
Maicon also showed he still has the quality to deliver the right ball early and beat his man when one on one

So for me Not so much tactical genius from Mancini, but more the players carrying out his instruction to the letter

big blueballs said:
The big difference with the 3 at the back today compared to earlier games was the personnel brought on to influence the change ie Maicon, he followed Mancinis instruction to the letter and showed he understands what the manager wants from this formation, it's the 1st time a player brought on in this role has actually stayed out wide and got chalk on his boots even when it was on the left with Kolorov he remained out wide on the right resisting the temptation to come over and tuck in a bit, meaning the game gets stretched allowing Silva etc more space to play,
Maicon also showed he still has the quality to deliver the right ball early and beat his man when one on one

So for me Not so much tactical genius from Mancini, but more the players carrying out his instruction to the letter
good post. Maicon did the job well. Also we were dominant which helps a lot.
I still maintain we haven't the right personnel for 352 but, at last, it worked today.

Didsbury Dave said:
big blueballs said:

good post. Maicon did the job well. Also we were dominant which helps a lot.
I still maintain we haven't the right personnel for 352 but, at last, it worked today.
I agree that the 352 has been a struggle.....Maicon was the difference today with regards this system, you can tell he has worked under Mancini, so probably has a greater understanding of what he wants with this formation, the type of player Maicon is also suits the formation and it may becoming a little clearer why Mancini brought him in

3-5-2 certainly looks to have some merit.
Maicon and Kollarov out wide do seem to give us another dimension. Playing narrow - as teams have to, to stop us playing suddenly works against them. They get stretched right across the park and big holes open up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.