Mancini's selection and tactics

cookster

Simple question do you think Mancini's makes the team greater than the sum of its parts?

I think we have the best squad in the league; stronger than last year with Tevez for a full season and five quality new arrivals.

Anything less than top 2 and Champs League quarter finals should be classed as failure.

Just said in the Dzeko thread as much as I wouldn't want anyone else right now other than Mancini, it has to be said he does make some strange decisions. Today we were outplayed and it took him until half time.

cookster said:
Simple question do you think Mancini's makes the team greater than the sum of its parts?

I think we have the best squad in the league; stronger than last year with Tevez for a full season and five quality new arrivals.

Anything less than top 2 and Champs League quarter finals should be classed as failure.

Who do you want to replace him with?

cookster said:

You probably overrate your players and definitely underrate other teams. You do have the best squad in the Premiership and should make the top 2. However, you still are too reliant on certain players due to an overall lack of quality across the squad.

The CL is a different matter. You have been handed a very difficult group and Dortmund are a fantastic side. If they get their first 11 are better than say United. Will be difficult getting out of the group. Even if you do get out of the group there is a good chance you may get Barca or Bayern, since you might come second. Both would be favourites against you. PSG could be dangerous too. Now considering Chelsea, Arsenal and United have a good chance of topping their groups, your chances of drawing Barca, Bayern or PSG in the second run could be 3/4.

cookster said:

Mancini currently is on self destruct mode dont know why almost as though he wants to get punted sometime this season

Get back to basics make us difficult ot get beat win the midfield battle and rely on Tevez or Aguer or Ballo to do the rest

To me he seems hell bent on shoe horning Aguero - Tevez - Nasri - Silva and Yaya into the team which leave us short in midfield which is why we are conceding

Less is more - if he want to play Tevez and Aguero then Tevex has to drop back into modfield when we lose the ball

bluefandk said:
cookster said:

Who do you want to replace him with?

I don't - it was a genuine question about our expectations based on the great squad we have assembled.

cookster said:

Yes, i do. We saw the team at its best (or as you call it, greater than sum of parts )in the early part of last season. We will reach that level in a few weeks. Also we havent improved as such other than maybe Tevez. And speak for yourself on what you consider to be failure. I ( and i suspect the owners too ) would give Mancini much more leeway this season.

cookster said:
Garbage! We'll do exceptionally well to gt out of our group and even then it's likely we'll get Barcelona, Bayern München or Paris Saint Germain in the Round of 16. Plus second or third in the Prem, what's the difference? As long as we challenge for the title either are fine if we don't win it.

Stop worrying about what we wont achieve and what you class as failure. Concentrate on what we can challenge for and what we do achieve.

Plus your original question, what does it mean? It's vague as fuck. We've gone from being a 5th/6th placed quality team to champions under Mancini. Players have developed greatly in his time with us. But every game is different. Sometimes he gets things right, less often he eats things wrong. But what does greater than the sum of its parts mean? We're champions with what you say is the best squad. How can he better that?

cookster said:

Steady on we, could draw Barca in the last 16, would it be a failure to go out on penalties or away goals? also I expect the top 3 to be closer together than last year; remember in 09-10 when we finished third, we only behind chelsea on goal difference and despite having a much better squad than the scum their Bastard manager with his never-say-die-attitude and dodgy refeering took us to the last minutes of last season. I'll be content with a top 3 in the league and automatic CL qulification, A domestic Cup, Preferably the FA rather than Capital one, but would hope we could also finally make the final of that this year and last 16 in CL and depending on our oponents may expect us to go further. Obvious I want us to do better than that but anything like that can not be treated as a failure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.