Manctopia on BBC2

20 minutes into this and I'm finding it hard to watch. Fucking disgusting people some of these property developers. The city would be better off without cunts like Tim Heatley.
Can't believe he got permission to build apartments on my personal match day car park!

Last night's episode had a charity fundraiser organised by Vinnie and Andy Burnham but seemed to imply it was a bit of window dressing rather than tackling real problems. The lady defending the ADUG investment was brilliant, especially as she was actually being threatened with her own house being demolished as part of a different development. She was pointing out that ADUG had been building on waste ground and car parks to improve the area, she had no illusions about it also being money making, but nobody else was prepared to put the money in and she'd take it. The little researcher guy was dumbstruck. She also had a garden gnome with a City shirt, got to love her.
She made some excellent points throughout last nights episode. Especially the point about not caring where the investment comes from as long as it makes the place better. Turning wasteland and car parks into new apartments is a good thing. Converting the old mills also a good thing. However, replacing perfectly good houses with new ones is purely about greed.

I am currently walking from Ancoats to Piccadilly gardens. Feels about as ungentrified as anywhere could possibly be.

Won't be knock in to people if you're on Bluemoon whilst walking?

I walked from the Ibis on Pollard Street to Cafe Metro in town on Sunday and there were developments everywhere. It's a gradual thing. Like many on here, I'm an average working class person and no longer identify with where I used to know.

As a non-Manc, I made a concerted effort to integrate and live somewhere regular. These people are being left behind for Toffs.

The flat/ apartment life in big cities is usually quite shallow and transient didnt see anything about the couple from Glasgow + new residents + reluctant chihuahua in the delayed apmts to suggest otherwise, although the chihuahua would bring a much needed hispanic influence to Piccadilly. So shallow compared with City Anne but as she said an improvement on deserted mills and car parks.

Another depressing episode. I looked all over the North of England for a home and everywhere looked more appealing (and affordable) than Manchester’s Ardwick View and Newton Heath Place.

It’s shocking, isn’t it? Manchester used to be such an independent and free thinking place. It’s going plastic.

The bubble has to burst at some point. They always do. I remember after the last crash you could pick up an apartment in Beetham Tower for less then £100k.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.