mancunian born

born opposite thomas french's on chester road hulme xmas 1954.
manc as they come and bloody proud of it.also lived langley, collyhurst and newton heath as a kid.

poyntonblueboy said:
born withington hospital, now live in poynton

Same, i now live on the Isle of Wight tho. Lived here since i was twelve (now 27).

I still regard myself as a manc. All my friends here call me a manc and i still have an accent, but its very watered down.

People who are from here think i sound very broad mancunian.

When family visit the Island from Manchester, they think i sound like a southern jessie.

meh.

Barcon said:
Gaudino said:
Born Beech Mount, Harpurhey.
First year in Newton Heath, just off Ten Acre Lane, then rest of childhood/teens/early twenties still in NH, but near Brookdale Park (Street next to where BP High School was)
Ten years just across the border in Failsworth, and now on Costa del Roch (Marland)

Fuck me. My first year was just off ten acres, Staplehurst rd. 1963, then off to Failsworth until I was 15. I don't know of any other rd. that comes off 10 acres, although I never crossed Briscoe lane or the canal. I went back to that house to spread my some of my Dads ashes in the backyard and on the reck. What a fucking disgrace that has become.

Born at 20 ten acres lane (oldham rd end) in 1960, moved away when they knocked our house down in 71 the buggers, we were the last to go on our block, bleedin rats and mice everywhere and the canal was full of dead dogs and cats because they were`nt allowed in the high rise flats in Miles Platting (ooohhh that sounds posh) and other palatial council estates we were getting shipped out to, so thier owners drowned them. Played on the Red wreck for Hague st school, we were always on the canal or in the clay pits but kept an eye out for Ginny Green Teeth ! and our local park was Philips park which is now right opposite coms. In case it jogs your memory I remember quite a few streets off Ten acres, Robert st, Peel st, Linley st, Livsey st, Pilling st, Bower st which has the Kippax pub (ex Gibralter) at the bottom. Hope some of this jogs your memory.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
sir malcom said:
how many on here were born in manchester and moved away ,to a new town etc,i was born in 1970 at park hospital which is trafford / davey hulme,dont know what it was before the boundary changes of 1974,,,,,,,,,,,, am i a manc

Ooh sorry lad, sounds a bit like the urban district of Stretford to me!

Crumpsall Manchester 8 and then Blackley Manchester 9. Solid blue-blooded Manc. I even have the mickey taken out of me accent by No1 son imitating Liam Gallagher saying 'Aaaaaaardwick' down his nose.

Odd one this I think. All my Bury friends can spot traces of my Manc accent, despite it being eroded by nearly 40 years of living in Bury. They usually think I am originally from Salford, but I think that is because my Grandad/Dad was from Lower Broughton and as he raised me I copied that and still lapse into it on occasion. It's a definite mixture that the Bury lot immediately sense is not from around here, despite me making Bury my home for years.

My son meanwhile is Bury born and bred, but he too has nothing like a Bury accent. It is more like mine.

I think the influences of your parents accents stay with you for years. Sometimes it is very subtle, but a "native" with a good ear for such things will always suss it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.