Mancunian Dialect

Being an aging Dorset Blue,It's been quite amusing over the years,hearing certain sentences on 'Granada' based programmes and not understanding what the fuck they meant.Now we have the 'Google' age,and most things are findable,my favourites were always 'On me uppers' and 'Bobbins',certainly never used in my part of the UK.

loui_mcfc said:
cityfansimon said:
Lmarkham-blueblood said:
Most of the people on this board are mancunians (including myself) so lets introduce our overseas blues to our way of speaking.

e.g.

1: ey up duck/chuck (also, alright mate) = hello
Ey up duck? What part of Manchester are you from?
That was my first thought, sounds Stokey to me.

Are y' right or what?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA8jtIKS8MA&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]
Shared student digs with a lad from Hadfield who bought that record it really did my head in.

Doin my head in, prounounced doin me yed in-annoyed.

skyblue1894 said:
jibbin - travelling or entering without paying

Hate the way the youth of today have changed the meaning of this word now.

My mate stood up to leave the other day and said "alright mate im jibbin off home"

Madness.

johnny on the spot said:
everythingchangesbutblue said:
Does anyone know the word "Raungin"(spelling) as in constantly moving about and being fidgity.my mum used to say this to me and my sis when we were kids,but whenever ive said it most people including mancs have never heard of it.

Proper Manc word this, I love it. Means lazy fidgeting and making the place look untidy.

glad a few know this word,was startin to think me mam had made it up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.