Manuel Pellegrini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mattyc55 said:
Marvin said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
If those teams were infinitely shitter thsn us then why aren't we doing better in the CL against decent opposition? The truth is (and you know this) that managers have their level. And for some, that means getting an outwardly average team at a club with little money to perform miracles. But for some reason they can't do it at a bigger team with theoretically better players.

And therein lies our problem in Europe.. were too naive. Mourinho did a Mourinho tonight, won ugly. Ferguson used to do it all the time both home and away, you have to set your teams up to be solid and get the job done. Playing on the front foot all the time against the top European sides is suicidal. Pellegrini is far too stubborn and his tactics were shown up again on the big stage.
We did OK last season - no more than OK

This season we got beat 1-0 at Bayern - big deal, and drew tonight in a game we ended up well on top in the end. It was a better performance than the ones we put in against Dortmund and Napoli in previous seasons when we drew games, but arguably against weaker opposition.

I saw players giving away possession cheaply and not playing their normal game. Too easy to blame the manager for every shortcoming of the team, and I think we should see how the rest of the Champions League campaign works out. I like the fact that we attack teams. I don't see any problem in being on the front foot all of the time. It was what the players did on the ball that was poor tonight, not the tactics

What tactics?

VOOMER said:
Mattyc55 said:
Marvin said:
And therein lies our problem in Europe.. were too naive. Mourinho did a Mourinho tonight, won ugly. Ferguson used to do it all the time both home and away, you have to set your teams up to be solid and get the job done. Playing on the front foot all the time against the top European sides is suicidal. Pellegrini is far too stubborn and his tactics were shown up again on the big stage.
We did OK last season - no more than OK

This season we got beat 1-0 at Bayern - big deal, and drew tonight in a game we ended up well on top in the end. It was a better performance than the ones we put in against Dortmund and Napoli in previous seasons when we drew games, but arguably against weaker opposition.

I saw players giving away possession cheaply and not playing their normal game. Too easy to blame the manager for every shortcoming of the team, and I think we should see how the rest of the Champions League campaign works out. I like the fact that we attack teams. I don't see any problem in being on the front foot all of the time. It was what the players did on the ball that was poor tonight, not the tactics

What tactics?
We set up in our normal style. In fact if you look at our teams, it's very very rare for Pellegrini to alter the teams shape to deal with an opponent

Roma are nothing special. We just needed to play our ordinary game. The media and several city fans are suggesting that City should be more conservative in Europe or play an extra man in midfield.

Just a thought but since the chelsea game the schedule been quite busy - did pellegrini really have to play such a strong side against Sheffield wed ??
Did it come back and bite him on the arse tonight ??
I thought we looked a bit jaded tonight , some players have barely been rested - eg silva
Your thoughts

Marvin said:
VOOMER said:

What tactics?
We set up in our normal style. In fact if you look at our teams, it's very very rare for Pellegrini to alter the teams shape to deal with an opponent

Roma are nothing special. We just needed to play our ordinary game. The media and several city fans are suggesting that City should be more conservative in Europe or play an extra man in midfield.
Roma were nothing special, but they pressed high and we can't cope with that. The scene was set in the first 30 seconds where we kicked off, Roma immediately pressed, we went backwards to kompany who was then under pressure and he went long.
In the premier league teams sit off and allow is to piss around with it. In Europe that changes and they press, very effectively too and we can't cope. That's why our ordinary game isn't good enough for European opposition. We need to adapt and that comes from the manager and he failed miserably tonight.

Marvin said:
VOOMER said:

What tactics?

And bolstering the midfield is about maintaining possession and control of space. We were not really getting dominated in possession at any point tonight. We were giving it away cheaply early on but it wasn't like against Barca home last year where they held it for about 6 minutes straight.

I believe our possession stat went up 6 percentage points from the point of the Dzeko sub to the end of the match. But that would have likely happened whoever was on given that Roma wanted and needed the point.

Lots and lots of posters who I respect and imagine know more than me buy in to it, so what do I know? But this just seems like one of those lazy media/conventional wisdom narratives. Oooh! Away form! DeMichelis is crap! City need to play with an extra midfielder against the TOP SIDES IN EUROPE.

No disrespect to Roma, but if we're cowering from them and sacrificing Dzeko or Aguero "because everyone plays 4-5-1 in Europe" then that to me is silly.

In any event, it makes more sense to me that Pellers has a better understanding of what to do with this club than anyone critiquing him here. Particularly since precisely no one would be critiquing him for supposed tactical ineptitude had the Roma handball been awarded and we won 2-1.

Cause and effect. I'll buy "overrun in midfield" as cause of us dropping the points if that is what led to Totti scoring. But was it?

We seemed to have it in our head today that they should sit back let us just keep trying to break them down like some premier league teams do. We can't play against a team that presses us and still control the game playing this formation. Nobody wanted the ball, if you watch bayern under pep you'll see each player has at least 3/4 options to pass to with the ball whereas for us today we'd be lucky to labour one. We don't counter when we have the chance either we just wait till they get back to position. This was most clear against bayern in the second half where we'd get the ball and see how long we can keep it before they take it back and attack again. This season there is no pace in our play it is all just very laboured in every way. I'm not saying we should sack pellegrini he's done well for us so far but I don't think he'll ever lead us to champions league success with him in charge. If were playing possession football against the best we need numbers in the middle to pass to or it won't work, but when we play 451 our striker is isolated so we need players to fit a 433 formation which would suit us much better

Reus aguero navas
Silva. 2 fernas
That would work I think and that would only need 1 signing to work. Yayas not in it as he doesn't give a fuck and clearly doesn't want to be here

If he fails to get out of the group I think he will be replaced next season, that's partly my opinion and also from the point of view that I think the board and the owners are desperate for success in the Champions League.

I like Pellegrini's football and I do think he is a top manager but like I said before he isn't world class.

I think you have to be adaptable to win the Champions League and with Pellegrini it seems to me that it's his way or no way.

That attitude may win us the league because nine times out of ten we are better than the opposition but it won't win you the Champions League.

Rösler von Stretfordbömber said:
Marvin said:
VOOMER said:
What tactics?

And bolstering the midfield is about maintaining possession and control of space. We were not really getting dominated in possession at any point tonight. We were giving it away cheaply early on but it wasn't like against Barca home last year where they held it for about 6 minutes straight.

I believe our possession stat went up 6 percentage points from the point of the Dzeko sub to the end of the match. But that would have likely happened whoever was on given that Roma wanted and needed the point.

Lots and lots of posters who I respect and imagine know more than me buy in to it, so what do I know? But this just seems like one of those lazy media/conventional wisdom narratives. Oooh! Away form! DeMichelis is crap! City need to play with an extra midfielder against the TOP SIDES IN EUROPE.

No disrespect to Roma, but if we're cowering from them and sacrificing Dzeko or Aguero "because everyone plays 4-5-1 in Europe" then that to me is silly.

In any event, it makes more sense to me that Pellers has a better understanding of what to do with this club than anyone critiquing him here. Particularly since precisely no one would be critiquing him for supposed tactical ineptitude had the Roma handball been awarded and we won 2-1.

Cause and effect. I'll buy "overrun in midfield" as cause of us dropping the points if that is what led to Totti scoring. But was it?

Totti's goal, in isolation, wasn't a result of being overrun in midfield. Our failure to win the game, having scored an early goal, might be. All conjecture though.

Whilst Pellegrini has a better understanding of what to do, as you put it, it doesn't make him immune from criticism. We can't just blindly trust everything he does, and not question it. Before the game many on here doubted the wisdom of playing a two man midfield with Toure, and they were vindicated.

sam-caddick said:
If he fails to get out of the group I think he will be replaced next season, that's partly my opinion and also from the point of view that I think the board and the owners are desperate for success in the Champions League.

I like Pellegrini's football and I do think he is a top manager but like I said before he isn't world class.

I think you have to be adaptable to win the Champions League and with Pellegrini it seems to me that it's his way or no way.

That attitude may win us the league because nine times out of ten we are better than the opposition but it won't win you the Champions League.

If we fail to get out of the group and fail to retain the title he is certainly on dodgy ground as he will have replicated Mancini's final season.
I believe he will get a third and final season (to the end of his contract) though since we are waiting for Pep to become available.
As soon as that happens I think he's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.