Manuel Pellegrini

Status
Not open for further replies.
BobKowalski said:
hgblue said:
BobKowalski said:
Yep and I think a lot of us have come to that conclusion. I had some sympathy for Pellers with his team choice. It was a weakened Roma and if we had started with the right tempo, attitude and application then we would have done better. Give us a nice 1 goal start and we should have been golden. Unfortunately the worms that seem to eat away in our collective heads meant tempo, attitude and application were largely absent which then highlights the weakness of his team choice. We needed more bodies in midfield and a better balance to compensate for this lack of tempo etc.

Perhaps we need a more conservative approach from the start that allows us to play our way into the game and asses the strength of the opposition. Maybe spending 45 mins been given the run around just feeds the doubts and insecurities meaning we never get control of the game even when we do change things.

Its a conundrum but clearly what we do now isn't working and simply repeating things in the hope it finally works isn't much of an answer.

If we win the Champs League playing 442 I'll wear a United top to work. There's not a cat in hells chance. A more pragmatic approach is required in Europe and it's so blindingly obvious as to be incredibly frustrating that the manager can't see it. Or can he? He certainly went more conservative after the debacle against Munich, so I live in hope that he'll do so again.

There is still room for variation on the way to (hopefully) winning the CL. At home to a weakened Roma a fairly standard 442 is not an outrageous call. Away to Bayern or a Real then one out and out striker with maybe Silva playing off the striker and a more robust midfield makes more sense.

But it may just be that we need to find a more containing set up or style that allows us to break quickly and, more importantly, when doing so we don't lose our shape and become vulnerable to their counter when ours breaks down. We perhaps need a more cerebral approach to the CL games irrespective of the opposition. An approach that becomes second nature in the CL games. Right now I don't think we have a 'European style or format' that works for us meaning we look clueless and lost more often than not. A domestic game and a European game (or philosophy) needs to be worked on rather than trying to play Roma as if they are Aston Villa (or whoever).

Very good post that mate. I think we need to develop a 'European style' that the players are comfortable with. 442 against this side, 442 with Silva playing up front against that side, 451 with Kolarov on the wing against the other side, isn't allowing the players to develop a rhythm and build up some momentum. For me, it should be a case of it's a European night so this is our European formation. Something along the lines of:

Zabaleta---------Kompany----------Mangala--------Kolarov

--------------Fernando-------------Fernandinho------------

-----Milner--------------Yaya/Nasri---------------Silva-------

------------------------Dzeko/Aguero------------------------

Didsbury Dave said:
uwe rosler 28 said:
Doesn't matter what system/tactics/players pellers decides to use if we don't win the game he gets crucified on here its about time the blame was laid at the players he picks and not just the usual contenders Sergio navas and dzeko were also very poor on Tuesday but not heard them get mentioned.

Navas got outmuscled, nothing quite fell for Sergio and Dzeko was excellent.

These comments really puzzle me dave I usually agree with a lot you say but dzeko excellent! And nothing fell for sergio he should be doing more to make things happen he was unplayable at times last year but this season so far he's really struggled to make a impact on games even though he's scored 5 goals. Hoping its just a world cup hangover!

uwe rosler 28 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
uwe rosler 28 said:
Doesn't matter what system/tactics/players pellers decides to use if we don't win the game he gets crucified on here its about time the blame was laid at the players he picks and not just the usual contenders Sergio navas and dzeko were also very poor on Tuesday but not heard them get mentioned.

These comments really puzzle me dave I usually agree with a lot you say but dzeko excellent! And nothing fell for sergio he should be doing more to make things happen he was unplayable at times last year but this season so far he's really struggled to make a impact on games even though he's scored 5 goals. Hoping its just a world cup hangover!

I honestly thought Dzeko was our biggest thread in the first half. He won a few in the air and held it up well. They seemed to struggle with his physical presence.

Sergio was well marshalled and didn't see much of the ball, but I felt there were a couple of times when he got on the shoulder of the last man and it just didn't run right. I'm not saying he had a good game at all but I'm not sure there is anything more he could have done.

uwe rosler 28 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
uwe rosler 28 said:

Dzeko was the best player in a blue shirt on the pitch, certainly for the first 45 minutes.

He's definitely improved under Manuel. He's a lot more committed to using his strength and trying to bully defenders.

Edin brought down everything which was thrown at him, brought others into play, all very impressive. Shame it was 30 yards from goal.

Felt sorry for him that he had to make way, instead of Sergio.

Defenders in Europe are now pushing Aguero across the length of the penalty area and he invariably loses his balance. It's clever defending.

By making Dzeko stand centrally, with an extra man in midfield, we would solve a lot of problems and stop a quick burn-out, trying to get two strikers to defend from the front.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Dzeko was the best player in a blue shirt on the pitch, certainly for the first 45 minutes.

He's definitely improved under Manuel. He's a lot more committed to using his strength and trying to bully defenders.

Edin brought down everything which was thrown at him, brought others into play, all very impressive. Shame it was 30 yards from goal.

Felt sorry for him that he had to make way, instead of Sergio.

Defenders in Europe are now pushing Aguero across the length of the penalty area and he invariably loses his balance. It's clever defending.

By making Dzeko stand centrally, with an extra man in midfield, we would solve a lot of problems and stop a quick burn-out, trying to get two strikers to defend from the front.

Excellent assessment. Dzeko was our most impressive starter and should not have been substituted.

The travails of Europe comes down to two salient points:

1. The injury to Fernando has messed up the masterplan of playing him, Fernandinhio and Yaya together in the European games. It provides us with the defensive cover, ability to get around the middle of the pitch as well as covering for Yaya's lack of ability to run.

2. The World Cup meant that with the players coming back early and not quite being fit it has taken a while for us to get up to speed. Moreover, the fixture list has compounded this by the fact that players couldn't be eased in. To be fair MP was trying to give everyone game time but then injuries to Nasri, Fernando and Jovetic meant that more game time was given to players that would ordinarily be rested and as such has impacted on performances.

Finally to tear into the guy every time something doesn't quite go right is ludicrous. For someone who put out Mancini's fires (as much as I loved him), won two trophies in his first year, got us playing sumptuous football, got players like Dzeko, Garcia and Kolarov putting in consistent match winning performances and pretty much conducted himself on behalf of the club exemplary is borderline insane. Furthermore, he isn't getting the credit he deserves for the match winning/saving tactical substituions in the games against Arsneal/Chelsea/Hull. Goes without saying the press would have run out of Kleenex if Mourinho and Guardiola had made such manoeuvres.

zabadabadoo1985 said:

1. The injury to Fernando has messed up the masterplan of playing him, Fernandinhio and Yaya together in the European games. It provides us with the defensive cover, ability to get around the middle of the pitch as well as covering for Yaya's lack of ability to run.

2. The World Cup meant that with the players coming back early and not quite being fit it has taken a while for us to get up to speed. Moreover, the fixture list has compounded this by the fact that players couldn't be eased in. To be fair MP was trying to give everyone game time but then injuries to Nasri, Fernando and Jovetic meant that more game time was given to players that would ordinarily be rested and as such has impacted on performances.

Finally to tear into the guy every time something doesn't quite go right is ludicrous. For someone who put out Mancini's fires (as much as I loved him), won two trophies in his first year, got us playing sumptuous football, got players like Dzeko, Garcia and Kolarov putting in consistent match winning performances and pretty much conducted himself on behalf of the club exemplary is borderline insane. Furthermore, he isn't getting the credit he deserves for the match winning/saving tactical substituions in the games against Arsneal/Chelsea/Hull. Goes without saying the press would have run out of Kleenex if Mourinho and Guardiola had made such manoeuvres.

Just because fernando is injured shouldn't alter the way we want to play if he wanted 3 in the middle there's other options fernandinho can play the holding role as can milner I also think zaba would be fantastic there also lampard and milner could have made the 3rd midfield player as could silva would love to see dave central in a 2 with a shield behind.

zabadabadoo1985 said:

It's a discussion board bud. We're discussing our continued under performance in Europe and whether our tactical set up is contributing to it. Some think it does, some think it doesn't. No big deal, and no calling for the manager's head (I hope).

Losing one midfielder should not cost us 3pts. Roma had eight players missing, including their first choice goalkeeper and two top quality midfielders: Strootman (who will join United for £40m+ in the next year probably) and De Rossi.

We simply weren't good enough as we haven't been for most Champions League games in 4 seasons.

I do think the World Cup has messed with our early season a bit, though.

Didsbury Dave said:
uwe rosler 28 said:
Didsbury Dave said:

I honestly thought Dzeko was our biggest thread in the first half. He won a few in the air and held it up well. They seemed to struggle with his physical presence.

Sergio was well marshalled and didn't see much of the ball, but I felt there were a couple of times when he got on the shoulder of the last man and it just didn't run right. I'm not saying he had a good game at all but I'm not sure there is anything more he could have done.

Dzeko was fouled relentlessly - fouled more in the 60 minutes he was on the pitch than any other City player was fouled in 90. At one point after 15-20 mins or so Dzeko was fouled about three times in three minutes, all by the same Roma defender.

Yellow card? You're having a laugh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.