Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one of the best things about the club now is that we can use our reputation to turn player's heads, and use that to prize them from their clubs. I've no issue with that: it's a dog eat dog world in football and I want the best for City.

As Barcelona and Real did for years, as Bayern does with the entire Bundesliga, as United did when they prised away Rooney from Everton, as Liverpool did when they prised away John Barnes from Watford. It happens. But actually, I don't find the expression “turning a player's head” very useful. It sounds as though we've slipped something in their drink. Like date rape or something.

It's just this: you're a good athlete, at a respectable, but middling, club. They're doing well, you're doing well. The club that has been champions for four seasons out of five (and second in the other one), who have been in CL football for the past decade, and will be for the foreseeable future, comes in for you, offering you double (or triple) what you're currently earning, to play alongside the best midfielder in the country (possibly in Europe) — nobody else in the entire squad is shabby, either — under the coaching of one of the best coaches — if not the best — that the game has seen, at least since Cruyff, his mentor.
The club you're at: they've been good to you, you've been good for them. You didn't grow up with them, you're not a boyhood fan, your dad probably knew nothing about them before they recruited you, you don't even come from their country.
You're no Steven Gerrard. You're no Pep Guardiola.
You would in fact have to be blind drunk not to want this deal to go through. No-one's head has been turned.
The only issue I have with BHA fans on this and their own forum talking about City's bid “unsettling” Cucurella: no bid has “unsettled” him. He was already unsettled. Like his agent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.