Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mendy has/had accomplished 10x what Cucurella has. 50m on him was hardly a shock transfer. You can't account for major injuries and off the pitch to happen.
Except he was already known to be injury prone and to have attitude problems. Obviously legal issues were impossible to predict but Mendy had one really good season in a sub-par league. He had achieved more than Cucu but Cucu has had an excellent PL season. One more than Mendy ever will.

Regardless, neither Mendy then nor Cucu now are as good or established as Cancelo and a Walker were.

All the players in our squad were already known and playing for top clubs before we bought them (bar Zinchenko & Jesus) we don't unearth gems, that's what a world class scouting system does.

We currently find ourselves haggling over 10million for a LB who could have been scouted a year earlier. With all our Spanish/La Masia connections why wasn't Cucurella scouted before going to Brighton.

You’re falling into a very basic trap. Who’s to say we didn’t scout/know of Cucarella? But perhaps at 22, we and more importantly he thought it better to get almost guaranteed game time?

Same with Haaland, every top club in Europe knew of him. Probably wanted him. But he’d have not got the game time he needed here or Madrid etc.

We are signing lots of top class under the radar stuff, just signed Alvarez for example.

It’s near impossible to sign and scout the next big thing that will be good enough to start games as soon as they join us, without them already being a standout.

Bloom is a professional gambler. He thought he would get us to fold. It hasn't happened.

Instead we will walk away, he is left with a pissed off player and I bet Potter is fuming as well because that 40 odd million turns into 2/3 players for him.

As it stands they have lost their best midfielder, they have signed nobody and teams are catching up. Brighton will be in a relegation battle this year.
Potter won’t be fuming cucurella is vital to the team and very hard to replace he was player of the season last year

I'm not disputing that. But we paid 42 for Mangala, 100 for Grealish, 41 for Ake (4th choice centre back) and the club wonders why Brighton are sticking to a valuation of 50 on Cucurella. He's worth that in today's market. He's brilliant defensively and offensively - granted he's had one good season at Brighton I'd stick my neck out and say he will be as good as Robertson at Liverpool in a few seasons. Few people will disagree with me, but there are very few left backs who are brilliant at both, and he's one of them. They come at a Premium.
That’s a fair point. He is in a rare breed of two way full backs. However, the very best in the world aren’t 2 way full backs at all, they are extremely technically gifted ones. Ones way above Cucurella’s technical level. Cancelo, Alexander-Arnold, Davies.

If the club deemed Cucurella worth it I’d back it but I back the club to walk away as well. I do hope we have a back-up plan and sign someone like Grimaldo.

Potter won’t be fuming cucurella is vital to the team and very hard to replace he was player of the season last year
Yeah bet hes buzzing. Your best midfielder gone for a pittance and your best defender has put a transfer request in. At least you have signed big with names like Enciso and Adingara.

I'm not disputing that. But we paid 42 for Mangala, 100 for Grealish, 41 for Ake (4th choice centre back) and the club wonders why Brighton are sticking to a valuation of 50 on Cucurella. He's worth that in today's market. He's brilliant defensively and offensively - granted he's had one good season at Brighton I'd stick my neck out and say he will be as good as Robertson at Liverpool in a few seasons. Few people will disagree with me, but there are very few left backs who are brilliant at both, and he's one of them. They come at a Premium.

One of my best mates is a Brighton fan, and I watched nearly all their games last season when I could. He was superb in nearly every game. Suits our style so well.

However, I do trust the club that they will get it right eventually. Sosa would be a superb alternative.
all those represent value for us. cucurella does not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.