Marcos Lopes

Very unlucky to go out, they absolutely battered Brazil, who were as negative as I've ever seen a Brazil side, they barely got out of their own half. Rony started on the wing and found it tough, along with the rest of the team as the whole team was too negative to really make anything happen (although he did tackle a defender then put a cross on the head of Gelson Martins for an unmarked header from about 8 yards out, but he missed). He switched to number 10 after about 70 minutes when they took off one of their three holding midfielders and brought on another winger and he came to life.

He started making runs beyond the striker, in behind the defence and was causing havoc. He hit the inside of the post with a fantastic volley from a narrow angle, then had a glancing header beat the keepr but go inches wide, then got in behind again only to have hit shot well saved by the charging out keeper from a narrow-ish angle. On a nother day, Portugal would of won 3 or 4 nil but they missed too many chances, especially headers. He was the only Portugal player to score in the shoot out, with a very calm penalty, only for the next 3 players to take 3 of the worst penalties you'll ever see to put Portugal out.

Hard luck Rony, but looked a hell of a lot better making runs in behind the defence, something our current midfielders don't do a whole lot of. (I seem to recall him scoring for us in a friendly in AD with a similar run?) As good a compliment as you can give him is that twitter seemed to be full of Brazilians hoping he'd chose to play for them at senior level, which isn't too shabby for an attacking midfielder

Anywhere across the front 3 in a fluid 4231 to be honest, it doesn't so much matter where he would play in a fluid system like ours. He's a bit wasted as an out and out winger like he played for the first hour today, but we never play like that and wouldn't ask him to do it. I don't see him as Silva understudy though, as he's a lot more direct and doesn't yet have Silva's ability to control the game. I think he's best either getting the ball deep, spinning and bouncing one two's off people, or running beyond the striker for people to pick him out.

I suppose he could even become a Lampard type player, arriving from midfield to get shots in

Cheers Oscar,my only concern is game time here.
Given the quality of recruit we are hoping to sign in Lopes' position.....it leaves little opportunity for him and I believe at this stage of his career,playing time is what he needs.

If we manage to get the 3 main targets people are talking about then we should sell Nasri and let Lopes take his place.

If we manage to get the 3 main targets people are talking about then we should sell Nasri and let Lopes take his place.
Unless there is a guaranteed role for him, he should be sent away on loan again, hopefully to a better team than Lille.

But I would also like him to replace Nasri at City. Still may be the case that we're in for Firminho though, which would take up that place. But maybe we are going into the season with only two experienced strikers, which means more attacking mids will play over the course of the season & Lopes has more of a chance.

All looks as if we are building for Pep in 2016 to me.

He is officially listed as a first team player on the club website now and although he hasn't been given a first team number yet I'd imagine when they officially get announced I'd expect him to be 17 if he stays and isn't sent on another loan.

He is officially listed as a first team player on the club website now and although he hasn't been given a first team number yet I'd imagine when they officially get announced I'd expect him to be 17 if he stays and isn't sent on another loan.
Lopes, Denayer and Ihenacho have all been referred to as first team members in the 'city on tour' reports. Looks like they are definitely part of the PL squad for this coming season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.